Marie Antoinette Online
  • FORUM
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Fri Nov 24, 2017 1:05 pm

Reply to topic  [ 13 posts ] 
 Of Fragonard and Boucher... 
Peasant
Peasant

Post Of Fragonard and Boucher...
anyone here like/appreciate Rococo Art?

Tue Jan 01, 2013 3:36 am
Profile WWW
Comte/Comtesse
Comte/Comtesse

Post Re: Of Fragonard and Boucher...
I personally love Rococo, that and Renaissance art are my favorite!

Tue Jan 01, 2013 4:00 am
Peasant
Peasant

What os your favorite art piece?

Tue Jan 01, 2013 4:01 am
Profile WWW
Comte/Comtesse
Comte/Comtesse

Wow ok! I have so many favorites, for Rococo one of them is the portrait of Madame Elisabeth I have as my avatar. Some others are portraits of Madame du Barry and Marie Antoinette ofcourse. Francois Boucher is one of my all-time favorite artists, his work is so beautiful, Vigee Le Brun is another favorite (as you can imagine!). So really, I can't even pick a favorite!! What about you?

Tue Jan 01, 2013 4:08 am
Prince/Princesse
Prince/Princesse

I love Fragonard more than I love Boucher. There is something puffy about Boucher's characters, I find Fragonard's paintings more delicate.

Tue Jan 01, 2013 10:34 am
Comte/Comtesse
Comte/Comtesse

Hahaha "puffy"!! I do see what you mean about that, but I think it is the "puffiness" that I actually like? :lol: Fragonard's work is beautiful too ofcourse! What is your favorite piece?

Tue Jan 01, 2013 4:23 pm
Prince/Princesse
Prince/Princesse

jjeannebecu wrote:
Hahaha "puffy"!! I do see what you mean about that, but I think it is the "puffiness" that I actually like? :lol: Fragonard's work is beautiful too ofcourse! What is your favorite piece?

Well I like the four pannels that Madame du Barry rejected. Les amours des Bergers is the name of the four paintings, this one being my favourite.

Attachments:
fragonard-amour-amitie.jpg
fragonard-amour-amitie.jpg [ 118.59 KiB | Viewed 11225 times ]

Wed Jan 02, 2013 7:45 am
Royalty
Royalty

I love Fragonard too. There are about six of his works in the Detroit museum - Mrs. Anna Dodge purchased most of them in the 1920-30's.

The four panels are now in the Frick Museum in NYC.

Jean-Honoré Fragonard (1732–1806) was commissioned in 1771 to complete four large canvases for the comtesse du Barry, the consort of Louis XV. They were installed in 1772 in the pavilion in Louveciennes built for her outside of Paris by the king. By 1773 the canvases—The Pursuit, The Meeting, The Lover Crowned, and Love Letters—had been rejected by Du Barry and returned to the artist. In 1790, Fragonard moved the canvases to his cousin’s house, the Villa Maubert, in Grasse, and over the course of the year, he painted ten additional panels: two large-scale works, Love Triumphant and Reverie; four narrow canvases depicting hollyhocks, and four overdoors of putti. Sold by the Maubert estate to the dealer Agnew’s in 1898, the panels subsequently decorated a drawing room in the London home of financier and art collector J. P. Morgan. With his death, the works passed through the hands of dealer Joseph Duveen, who in 1915 brokered their sale to industrialist and collector Henry Clay Frick, and arranged for their installation in the Fifth Avenue museum that now houses the celebrated museum.

Attachments:
Fragonard_Room.jpg
Fragonard_Room.jpg [ 185.07 KiB | Viewed 11217 times ]
Thu Jan 03, 2013 2:46 am
Prince/Princesse
Prince/Princesse

Yes they are really worth a visit, the Frick collection is wonderful. Jeanne was supposed to have refused them because of the ressemblance of the wooing lover to Louis XV. But that's just a rumour. Maybe she just couldn't find the money anymore! :)

I see what Ludy means about Boucher's puffiness. Puffy and rosy cheeked!

Thu Jan 03, 2013 1:33 pm
Prince/Princesse
Prince/Princesse

I have read that too, but I am not convinced by this argument. I would put it down to the fact that the Rococo style we love so much on here was not fashionable any longer. The end of Louis XV's reign is preromantic more than anything else : paintings of landscapes and ruins were increasingly fashionable. Besides Du Barry, in spite of being a former prostitute, was the representative of the conservative party (le parti dévot) and was certainly not keen to have such paintings adorning her walls, all the more that they could be interpreted as hints at her past life.

Last edited by Ludy on Sat Nov 30, 2013 6:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Thu Jan 03, 2013 2:25 pm
Royalty
Royalty

baron de batz wrote:
Jeanne was supposed to have refused them because of the ressemblance of the wooing lover to Louis XV. But that's just a rumour. Maybe she just couldn't find the money anymore!

Ludy wrote:
I have read that too, but I am not convinced by this argument. I would put it down to the fact that the Rococo style we love so much on here was not fashionable any longer

The panels were initially hung in the Pavillion at Louvciennes. She decided to return them to Fragonard and had them replaced with new murals by Joseph-Marie Vien, one of the first neoclassical painters. At the time, tastes were changing and Madame DuBarry liked the classical style (Etruscan too). She most likely just thought it more appropriate for her neoclassic styled Pavillion to be decorated by an artist of the same style.

Fri Jan 04, 2013 3:47 am
Peasant
Peasant

Generally I love everything about art, but with one exception - modern art. I just can't stand it:)
Of course, I do love Rococo art. Speaking of Fragonard, last summer I was lucky to visit his hometown museum in Grasse(Provence, Southern France) and a nice collection of his works.
Boucher and Fragonard's paintings are divine without doubt, but from Rococo artists my personal favorite is still Jean-Antoine Watteau with his amazing fetes galantes and commedia dell'arte depictions. It's really hard to pick one, but one of my favorite paintings is "The Embarkation for Cythera Island", probably the most known and mysterious art painted by Watteau. I also like baroque art(especially Caravaggio and Rembrandt) an Renaissance Italian artists.

Fri Jan 11, 2013 10:33 am
Prince/Princesse
Prince/Princesse

Indeed Watteau's paintings are very elegant and delicate !

Watteau stands for the early Roccoco though, and Fragonard for the later period.

I did not know about Fragonard's hometown museum. It seems to me however that his best pieces are to be found overseas. I had the pleasure to see one of his most famous paintings a few days ago in the Wallace Collection : "the Swing". I was very moved because it is the first time I see one of Fragonard's most renowed paintings for real. Also there were a few Bouchers and other XVIII century prominent artists, but I fail to remember at this point.

Welcome to the forum.

Tue Jan 15, 2013 6:12 pm
Reply to topic   [ 13 posts ]