Marie Antoinette Online
  • FORUM
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Mon Jul 24, 2017 10:33 pm

Reply to topic  [ 27 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2
 Historical figures by George Stuart 
Royalty
Royalty

Post Re: Historical figures by George Stuart
Hello Mr. Becker! I am the one who communicated with you about all the pictures and made the Katherine of Aragon drawing based on Mr. Stuart's figure. It's wonderful to see you here!

Sat Jan 12, 2008 4:55 am
Profile WWW
Noble
Noble

Glad to be here!
I'm sprinkling references to the website of Stuart's work http://www.galleryhistoricalfigures.com.
Let's hope the viewers find the links helpful and not a nuisance!

Sat Jan 12, 2008 5:01 am
Profile WWW
Prince/Princesse
Prince/Princesse

I don't really like these figurines. They... They are too disdainful. Look at that one with Marie Antoinette and the Belle Poule. Sticking her nose in the air... as if to say "I hate you." Not my sort of thing...

Sun Jan 13, 2008 2:33 am
Royalty
Royalty

Well I'm sure that wasn't the artist's intention, I think she is supposed to have a somewhat air of haughtiness about her, and you mist admit that they are exquisitely made.

Sun Jan 13, 2008 6:46 am
Profile WWW
Royalty
Royalty

See, this is what I mean! I am sure the artist has put countless hours of work into these figures but the haughty look of Antoinette and the odd painted face of Polignac, someone known for her utterly natural freshness, is strange.

Sun Jan 13, 2008 7:06 am
Noble
Noble

Délicate fleur wrote:
See, this is what I mean! I am sure the artist has put countless hours of work into these figures but the haughty look of Antoinette and the odd painted face of Polignac, someone known for her utterly natural freshness, is strange.

Thank you for your candid views!
Most people feel the same way you do about the facial coloring of MA and other court ladies when first viewed. But when they research the heavy "makeup" for court balls of the period, they find that Mr. Stuart's portrayal is quite accurate. Note that MA with children and at Trianon have far less makeup. MA as widow and at the guillotine has no make up.

The same may be said for Mme Polignac. The makeup and beauty mark were not applied for all occasions. By the way, it is interesting to note that Coppola picked the same dress for Polignac when she appeared in the theater scenes.

It might be helpful to know that Mr. Stuart uses up to nine colors when he airbrushes the skin of the faces and arms/hands.

As for the haughty view, well the balls were MA's most queenly appearances! Again each MA Figure has a unique expression to meet the particular event.

Finally, all of the Historical Figures are quarter life-sized and were created for stage lighting during Mr. Stuart's monologs. As with all stage actors, the features - such as makeup are often accentuated.

Mon Jan 14, 2008 3:25 am
Profile WWW
Royalty
Royalty

Please don't misinterpret my comments, I was not on the attack, I just found some elements to be displeasing. Antoinette was also noted for scaling down the heavy court make up, the huge rosy circles on the cheeks and so forth. And of course she was required (and expected) to project majesty and loftiness to court balls but this does not explain the haughty, lip turned down look in this portrait.

Mon Jan 14, 2008 3:44 am
Royalty
Royalty

Remember the Hapsburg lip?

Mon Jan 14, 2008 11:35 pm
Profile WWW
Prince/Princesse
Prince/Princesse

Monsieur Andre wrote:
and you mist admit that they are exquisitely made.

I don't admit this. They are better than I could do, but I wouldn't say exquisite. I know the Habsburg lip, but I just... I don't like this one with the Belle Poule.

Tue Jan 15, 2008 12:11 am
Royalty
Royalty

I personally think doll or manniquins are extremely creepy, but these are all right. Although I must say, Marie Antoinettte a la belle poule, that is before she had her children, she seems a bit too well endowed before she had children, or was pregant for that matter, if she happened to be at that time I understand, otherwise I am a bit confused.

Tue Jan 15, 2008 4:53 pm
Noble
Noble

Thanks to all of you for the excellent comments, which I will forward to Mr. Stuart and post his response.

Mr. Stuart has access to most of his 400 Historical Figures, which are in museums and private collections. Unlike most artists, he often modifies his Historical Figures to reflect new facts and improvements in his modeling techniques.

For example, the the MA at Court Figure is over 40 years old and has undergone several major reworks. If there is interest, I would be glad to post images of the evolution of the MA at Court Figure.

By the way, the Russian Collection will be on exhibit through April at the Museum of Ventura County in Ventura, CA. Mr. Stuart will be giving 4 monologs on the Romanov Duynasty. I will be videotaping the first monolog this afternoon.

Tue Jan 15, 2008 6:59 pm
Profile WWW
Royalty
Royalty

Oh, may we see the images? Also, when will the French videos be up?

Wed Jan 16, 2008 8:35 pm
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 27 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2