Marie Antoinette Online
  • FORUM
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sun Nov 19, 2017 4:16 pm

Reply to topic  [ 1061 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 65, 66, 67, 68, 69, 70, 71  Next
 18th century portraits. 
Marquis/Marquise
Marquis/Marquise

Post Re: 18th century portraits.

Wed Jun 10, 2009 11:19 am
Marquis/Marquise
Marquis/Marquise

Portrait of the Frankland sisters... 1795

bY John Hoppner ( 1758-1810 )
The Prince of Wales was a frequent visitor to his studio
and many of Hoppner's finest portraits are to be found in the
State Appartments of St James's Palace.

Last edited by silverstar on Wed Jun 10, 2009 3:17 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Wed Jun 10, 2009 11:22 am
Prince/Princesse
Prince/Princesse

Indeed Elle, who taught you Swedish!?

I like the quote, why do we need a cooler? I like these quotes in other languages… :angel4: :love:

Thank you silverstar. I will post something interesting soon.

Wed Jun 10, 2009 2:51 pm
Prince/Princesse
Prince/Princesse

........ :angel11: I like the quotes in different languages too!...........hmmmmm.... :love:
Beautiful detail...Silverstar!Marie Antoinette had beautiful hands! from the famous painting by Madame Vigee- le Brun...to take the place of the one where she appeared en gall and with her straw hat. This painting was the May picture on my Versailles calender this year. June is the Apollo fountain.

Thu Jun 11, 2009 1:25 am
Prince/Princesse
Prince/Princesse

I love the apollo fountain, one of my favorites, and very beautiful. I've always felt it was a bit understated.

Fri Jun 12, 2009 4:09 am
Profile WWW
Prince/Princesse
Prince/Princesse

Interesting double portrait and even more interesting story that lies behind it, at least according to the one TV show I watched quite a while ago. It is called “Every picture tells a story” and that episode was about this particular painting. There I heard some interesting facts and saw some paintings by Gainsborough from one gallery, in England, and fell in love! I could find only this clip on you tube, at least it can make you feel curious so watch before reading my text bellow. Unfortunately, I've watched it quite a while ago so I can’t really remember how exactly it goes… :(

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UDQKvXYwZwk
Attachment:
Gainsborough, Mr and Mrs Andrews 1748f.jpg
Gainsborough, Mr and Mrs Andrews 1748f.jpg [ 63.16 KiB | Viewed 3105 times ]
Attachment:
untitled1.jpg
untitled1.jpg [ 28.93 KiB | Viewed 3105 times ]

The newly-married couple is posing outdoor, proudly showing their property. What makes this country scene less idyllic is the land enclosing, of these kinds of landowners, which affected the poorer classes tremendously.
Mr. Andrews is returning from haunting, Mrs. Andrews probably waited for him, in a dress of very fine and expensive material. Mr. Andrews is clearly painted with more sympathy, Gainsborough knew him already and clearly was more fond of him, while Mrs. Andrews looks rather evil. She is 18 years old here, Gainsborough made this portrait of them shortly after their wedding, which brought them both huge financial benefits. Interesting assumption is about the unfinished part of the painting and the meaning of that important detail. According to the author, in her lap Mrs. Andrews holds some rag (so her dress wouldn’t be messed up with blood) and on it a bird that Mr. Andrew brought her from hunting. Explanation lies in the symbolical meaning of birds in art and how in this painting it would indicate how Mrs. Andrews caught her husband and not very high opinion Gainsborough had of her and this marriage. Someone must have realized it and the painting wasn’t finished, not even put on a display for quite a long time.

My simple explanation is not much, I haven’t checked is there somewhere you could download this episode. It is great so I strongly recommend. There are more episodes with paintings by Rembrandt, Caravaggio… My favorite is about the painting by Caravaggio, Boy bitten by a lizard.

As far as the explanation is concerned, it makes sense to me and it is hard to look at the painting the other way now.

Fri Jun 12, 2009 9:37 pm
Prince/Princesse
Prince/Princesse

Marjia! your post was so exquisite! Please tell me if you know where I could down load the other programs you speak of? perhaps to see the whole show?

What a creepy look Mrs. Andrews does have upon her face! I think it is her eyes..... and a very good explanation you give for the missing portion of the picture as well!!!( I do like her little pink satin shoes, however!)

Sat Jun 13, 2009 1:58 am
Prince/Princesse
Prince/Princesse

I must check. My explanation was just a bad try to retell it (the episode), as I said it was a while ago. It would be great to find all the episodes although there are not many… :(

She looks mean but I like her! There is something interesting in that cold, mean appearance. 8)

I think there is a mistake in the name of the first picture. I think they got married in 1748 and the painting was painted in 1750…

Sat Jun 13, 2009 4:05 pm
Marquis/Marquise
Marquis/Marquise

What an incredible painter Mme Vigee Le Brun was
though ... a quick perusal of her work shows
99% portraits with rarely an occasion where she
put the subject into some kind of setting, rural or otherwise.

Contrast that with Gainsborough... he loved to paint landscapes
but portraiture was where the money was.... so he had to labour
putting these rich peoples faces on canvas....so often in a rural setting.

Interestingly he loved to work by lamplight and candlelight, he loved
the effects of artificial light on his canvas.
Even during the day he often had the
curtains drawn in his studio.
But having said that, Vigee Le Bruns portraits are often supurbe
and the very essence of the 18th cent.
I think the above is my favourite MA portrait of all.

Sat Jun 13, 2009 4:26 pm
Prince/Princesse
Prince/Princesse

Beautiful Portrait Silverstar!!!!!!!....how I love her dress! And the way the lace is done! (and striped ribbon!)

The Gainsboroh land scape is exceptional...notice the brewing storm on the horizon! You know Le Brun' s landscapes really do seem more as "back drops". Now that you mention it!

Sun Jun 14, 2009 5:56 pm
Marquis/Marquise
Marquis/Marquise

Judging by the elaborate coiffure.... the hat with feathers etc
Mme Vigee's painting must be from Marie's extravagent period.
She didn't see soon enough that the mood of society was changeing
and a deep resentment was building up to her profligate spending
on clothes and elaborate hairdressing..
She did n't forsee that she would eventually become the... bete noir
of the people.... the focus of all their anger and frustrations.
If only she had listened to the warnings of her mother and brother
... things might just have turned out differently.

Sun Jun 14, 2009 9:34 pm
Prince/Princesse
Prince/Princesse

But what of her preferences to the simpler ways at The Pettit Triannon..Dress, hair , a simple straw bonnet. Yet when she chose to first have her portrait depicted as such..were the common people outraged?...or was it only her circle, the only the nobility?....She was made to feel so awful for it that she had the painting redone, taking great care to appear more ...substantial,...Queenly. But then she was viewed as a spend thirift. It seems she was to be wrong no matter what she did!...People loved to hate her.but I don't think she ever thought it would go as far as it did. :cry:
Attachment:
File comment: Even here she does not look to plain..but she was accused of wearing "underware" and vilified for not looking like a proper Queen of France!
138_medium.jpg
138_medium.jpg [ 149.94 KiB | Viewed 3084 times ]

Mon Jun 15, 2009 12:40 am
Prince/Princesse
Prince/Princesse

Here is something to go with both of our conversations, and Paintings...it is a part of a lecture by a Professor Stoddard
Description
This section is from the book "Paris and France - John L. Stoddard's Lectures", by John L. Stoddard. Also available from Amazon: John L. Stoddard's Lectures 13 Volume Set.
Paris. Part 19
"Little Queen, you must not be So saucy with your twenty years; Else your subjects soon will see You led beyond the French frontiers."

At this time, also, Marie Antoinette was very fond of extravagant head-dresses. In one of these she had her portrait painted, and sent it to her mother. But Maria Theresa promptly returned it, with the words "I should have liked exceedingly a portrait of the Queen of France; but since you have made a mistake and sent me that of some comedienne, I return it by the first express.

Perhaps the most interesting of the buildings at Petit Trianon is the little dairy of Marie Antoinette, where cream was placed in exquisite porcelain, and milk was skimmed on marble tables by the fair Queen and her young friends, many of whom were soon to be beheaded by the populace. Innocent though these pleasures were, they did great harm to Marie Antoinette; for there were many political intriguers at Versailles whose interest it was to injure her as much as possible, and her impatience of the restraints of royal etiquette gave them an opportunity of doing so. Accordingly, each novel act of hers was called an innovation from Vienna, and she was nicknamed in reproach "The Austrian." Her enemies, too, watched eagerly for every indiscreet act and tried thereby to vilify her. The most outrageous calumnies were thus invented; and soon not merely France, but the whole of Europe was filled with stories of her improprieties. Maria Theresa was so disturbed by them that she privately sent a trustworthy friend to Paris to observe her daughter's conduct and report to her. But he presently wrote to her: "The young Queen is imprudent, that is all." Nevertheless, hundreds of songs were sung about her in the streets, and so terrible were some of the stories circulated, and so readily were they believed, that Marie Antoinette became one of the most unhappy of women. There were times, doubtless, when she would gladly have exchanged the splendor of Versailles, and even the lovely groves of Trianon, for the lot of the humblest peasant in the furrowed field; for to be loved was to her the very breath of life - to be hated stabbed her to the heart. "One morning at Trianon," writes one of her biographers, "I entered the Queen's room and found her weeping bitterly. Some letters were lying near her, and her sobs were frequently interrupted with the words: 'Oh, how I wish that I were dead! Wretches! Monsters! What have I done to them? It would be better to kill me at once.'" It would have been better indeed; for these cruel calumnies were sharpening for Marie Antoinette the blade of the guillotine.
Attachment:
The-Dairy-Of-Marie-Antoinette.jpg
The-Dairy-Of-Marie-Antoinette.jpg [ 35.98 KiB | Viewed 3084 times ]

Mon Jun 15, 2009 1:27 am
Royalty
Royalty

silverstar wrote:
Judging by the elaborate coiffure.... the hat with feathers etc
Mme Vigee's painting must be from Marie's extravagent period.
She didn't see soon enough that the mood of society was changeing
and a deep resentment was building up to her profligate spending
on clothes and elaborate hairdressing..
She did n't forsee that she would eventually become the... bete noir
of the people.... the focus of all their anger and frustrations.
If only she had listened to the warnings of her mother and brother
... things might just have turned out differently.

Her decadant period was when she became Queen and ended when she finally became a mother. This is actually a portrait made to appease the public. It was painted in 1783. This was was painted after the infamous en Gaulle portrait; because there was such outrage of the Queen being "painted in her underwear". This portrait she wears a robe a silk la francais, an outfit that the French expected for her to wear because it was more regal. But she still looks beautiful. :)

If only I were as beautiful as her. *sigh*

Sat Jul 25, 2009 2:44 pm
Marquis/Marquise
Marquis/Marquise

aug 74 Marie is given the Petite Trianon... which began a whole new chapter in extravagance
of course she became Queen in the same year.

dec 78 birth of her first child
nov 1780 her mother dies in Vienna

By 1783 Marie had been Queen for around 9 years

I think the necklace affair was around then....1784 ? that was a chastening experience
and Marie was beginning to see that events could spin out of control.

Sat Jul 25, 2009 3:06 pm
Reply to topic   [ 1061 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 65, 66, 67, 68, 69, 70, 71  Next