Marie Antoinette Online
  • FORUM
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Nov 23, 2017 11:24 am

Reply to topic  [ 1061 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 64, 65, 66, 67, 68, 69, 70, 71  Next
 18th century portraits. 
Royalty
Royalty

Post Re: 18th century portraits.
silverstar wrote:
you are right, we hear so much about La Fayette and yet this for me is the first
time Ive really seen a good portrait of him.

Really! Rococo-style portraits are not the best about him. This portrait is so realistic, and I think it needn't to be completed.

silverstar wrote:
Of course he was rabidly anti British... I think his father died in some battle
with the Brits... spanish succession or something.... so it must have been
particularly satisfying for him to go over to America and get his revenge.

Thank you for this info, Silverstar. Very interesting!

Wed May 27, 2009 12:37 pm
Prince/Princesse
Prince/Princesse

silverstar wrote:
maybe someone can tell us who the artist is

Maybe Watteau??

Fri May 29, 2009 10:21 am
Royalty
Royalty

I think so. I have a Watteau-album :) :book: but I did not find this work in it.

Fri May 29, 2009 1:05 pm
Prince/Princesse
Prince/Princesse

I would like to see more paintings of the countryside, if at all possible, could you post some for us Marija?

Fri Jun 05, 2009 6:30 am
Profile WWW
Marquis/Marquise
Marquis/Marquise

I think so. I have a Watteau-album :) :book: but I did not find this work in it.
end quote...
Yes I was thinking of Watteau and his charming pictures of
country scenes....picnics en fete...
If poss please post it then Ill delete my very rough pic
( taken from the TV ! )

Strange to think of all these artists working away in their studios
during the 18th century
producing these works of art and being paid just a going rate.
Many of the artists died in poverty and obscurity.. while today
these paintings are worth millions.

Fri Jun 05, 2009 2:58 pm
Royalty
Royalty

Attachment:
Jean-Antoine Watteau. Assembly in a Park. c. 1717. Oil on canvas. Louvre, Paris, France.JPG
Jean-Antoine Watteau. Assembly in a Park. c. 1717. Oil on canvas. Louvre, Paris, France.JPG [ 37.21 KiB | Viewed 2557 times ]

Attachment:
Jean-Antoine Watteau. Les Champs-Elysées c1717.JPG
Jean-Antoine Watteau. Les Champs-Elysées c1717.JPG [ 42.16 KiB | Viewed 2557 times ]

Fri Jun 05, 2009 5:22 pm
Royalty
Royalty

He loved to paint genres and landscapes, and his matters contain some on battle refugees or landscapes at war.
Trees almost live on the first painting, this artist is very skillful. He painted beautifully the corrugation on the dress of the lady.

Fri Jun 05, 2009 9:26 pm
Prince/Princesse
Prince/Princesse

Yes, and how interesting that the Champs-Elysées was once only a path through the woods. Anyway it is beautiful...and I love to see pictures of people sitting around on the grass, in the shade, wearing those beautiful clothes!

Sat Jun 06, 2009 1:17 pm
Royalty
Royalty

Elle wrote:
Yes, and how interesting that the Champs-Elysées was once only a path through the woods. Anyway it is beautiful...and I love to see pictures of people sitting around on the grass, in the shade, wearing those beautiful clothes!

I think this landscape shows the Champes-Élysées of the Greek myth, not the Paris avenue... I am not sure about this, but it seems that Watteau wanted to represent the mythical field of Elysium. By the way, thinking about the ancients... where can be our Rosalie?? She has not been here for a time.

Sat Jun 06, 2009 2:31 pm
Prince/Princesse
Prince/Princesse

Elle wrote:
Yes, and how interesting that the Champs-Elysées was once only a path through the woods.!

Not exactly:

Quote:
The Champs-Élysées were originally fields and market gardens, until 1616, when Marie de Medici decided to extend the garden axis of the Palais des Tuileries with an avenue of trees. As late as 1716, Guillaume Delisle's map of Paris shows that a short stretch of roads and fields and market garden plots still separated the grand axe of the Tuileries gardens from the planted "Avenue des Thuilleries", which was punctuated by a circular basin where the Rond Point stands today; already it was planted with some avenues of trees radiating from it that led to the river through woods and fields. In 1724, the Tuileries garden axis and the avenue were connected and extended, leading beyond the Place de l'Étoile; the "Elysian Fields" were open parkland flanking it, soon filled in with bosquets of trees formally planted in straight rank and file. To the east, the unloved and neglected "Vieux Louvre" (as it is called on the maps), still hemmed in by buildings, was not part of the axis. In a map of 1724, the Grande Avenue des Champs-Elisée stretches west from a newly-cleared Place du Pont Tournant soon to be renamed for Louis XV and now the Place de la Concorde.
The Free French 2e DB march down the Champs-Élysées on 25 August 1944 to celebrate the Liberation of Paris.

By the late 1700s, the Champs-Élysées had become a fashionable avenue; the bosquet plantings on either side had thickened enough to be given formal rectangular glades (cabinets de verdure). The gardens of houses built along the Faubourg Saint-Honoré backed onto the formal bosquets....

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Champs_Elysees

What no one notes here (I may be able to dig it up somewhere) is how these "fields and market gardens" became known as "The Elysian Fields".

At any rate, here's a 1705 map, where you can already see (far left, at the middle) the spokes of roads leading to what is today the Place Charles De Gaulle:

Sat Jun 06, 2009 5:14 pm
Prince/Princesse
Prince/Princesse

Thank-you both so much...and yes Anouk, of course it is in the context of the Greek myth. How ever could I forget the important Greek influences to the Rococo and age of enlightenment... :angel11:

Sat Jun 06, 2009 11:51 pm
Royalty
Royalty

Ah ok :love: Elle, what does your Swedish signature mean? I have just realized that text!

Sun Jun 07, 2009 7:04 am
Prince/Princesse
Prince/Princesse

It means ...Dear you, allow me, with fire in my heart, to hold you warm....( Ha..... :angry4:) ... :lol: I will perhaps pick a cooler quote for the summer season.

Sun Jun 07, 2009 2:09 pm
Royalty
Royalty

Wow! Where did you learn Swedish?
Jim, thanks for your explanation. I have the feeling that you know everything about the XVIIIth century!

Sun Jun 07, 2009 6:40 pm
Prince/Princesse
Prince/Princesse

.... :angel11: Do you have another beautiful painting or portait?

Sun Jun 07, 2009 7:39 pm
Reply to topic   [ 1061 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 64, 65, 66, 67, 68, 69, 70, 71  Next