Marie Antoinette Online
  • FORUM
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sun Dec 17, 2017 5:43 pm

Reply to topic  [ 112 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
 Favorite Vigee-Lebrun painting 
Prince/Princesse
Prince/Princesse

Merci beaucoup! Quel un fabuleux ebauche d'un tableau...(pardon my french while I try :wink: ) Oh, the gallery is awesome! This drawing truly shows the treacherous state of the artist's heart while also grasping for threads of hope, of course spiritual perspective. merci! merci!

Sat Jan 20, 2007 3:15 pm
Prince/Princesse
Prince/Princesse

Thu Jan 25, 2007 9:31 pm
Prince/Princesse
Prince/Princesse

Elizabeth, what do you mean by "treacherous state of the artist's heart?"

Thu Jan 25, 2007 9:42 pm
Marquis/Marquise
Marquis/Marquise

Which portrait are you alluding to when you speak about "the treacherous state..."? Is it the sketch of Marie Antoinette ascending to Heaven?
Feeling a little lost here... :wink:

Thu Jan 25, 2007 11:37 pm
Profile WWW
Prince/Princesse
Prince/Princesse

Yes, the drawing of M.A. rising to heaven. I think the drawing shows the pain that Vigee-Legrun was feeling upon M.A.'s death. Particularly, it seems to have much contrast (black/white) and the line is also much defined (pressed hard, hence darker line). It is not 'soft' in my opinion and I can almost see conflicted feeling and passion in it. Isn't it a sketch and not a 'finished' drawing? It has that look to me also that it was rendered in a passionate way and then left as though it was too much to take to any other form.

Thu Jan 25, 2007 11:57 pm
Prince/Princesse
Prince/Princesse

Oh, ok, I see what you mean, an deep grief conflicting with the desire to represent the queen going home to her reward.

Fri Jan 26, 2007 12:04 am
Prince/Princesse
Prince/Princesse

I agree with your analyse, Elizabeth. This portrait is also analysed a similar way, with all the passion and sorrow expressed by the painter (who was once a favourite and let her queen down to safe her own life) in Genevieve Chauvel's very beautiful book.
http://perso.orange.fr/j.granes/vigee-lebrun.htm
a fictive diary, actually and accurately based on Mme Vigee-Lebrun's souvenirs.

Fri Jan 26, 2007 9:04 am
Marquis/Marquise
Marquis/Marquise

I can see what you mean now...I've been searching for a LARGE reproduction of this picture, but could only find a very small one (at the Vigee Lebrun Online Gallery). The size makes it difficult to look at, let alone analyze :shock:
It looks unfinished, maybe a charcoal work. The very absence of paint would make it look sharp. Any idea about who comissionned it and why? That could shed some light on the reason why it's been left unfisnished.
I understand that Vigee Lebrun painted several posthumous portraits of Marie Antoinette. Was she part of a royalist group trying to promote a return to the Old Regime?

Sat Jan 27, 2007 2:41 am
Profile WWW
Prince/Princesse
Prince/Princesse

I don't know, Marquise... sounds complicated... Madame Vigee-Lebrun always regretted old regime, Versailles, and this specific power women had before the revolution.

On the other hand, she met so many courts while in exile... and could thus develop her talent.

I guess she could feel guilty, in a way. She was not among those who came back to serve their king and queen. But who was ? Poor Lamballe... ?

Difficult to go on with those feelings, I think, even if Elisabeth's souvenirs show a quite ambitious, opportunist and somewhat selfish woman...

I think she began this painting after a dream, as a kind of homage. And that she could not go on and finish it.

No, about the "new royalists", there is an interesting portrait of Louis XVII, that may be made by Vigee.

http://louis17.ifrance.com/

Some think that, by this painting showing symbols, Elisabeth meant that the little king was still alive.

So...... ?

Sat Jan 27, 2007 9:08 am
Prince/Princesse
Prince/Princesse

http://teaattrianon.blogspot.com/2007/0 ... ebrun.html

Sun Jan 28, 2007 6:58 pm
Prince/Princesse
Prince/Princesse

I don't know, Marquise... sounds complicated... Madame Vigee-Lebrun always regretted old regime, Versailles, and this specific power women had before the revolution.

On the other hand, she met so many courts while in exile... and could thus develop her talent.

I guess she could feel guilty, in a way. She was not among those who came back to serve their king and queen. But who was ? Poor Lamballe... ?

Difficult to go on with those feelings, I think, even if Elisabeth's souvenirs show a quite ambitious, opportunist and somewhat selfish woman...

I think she began this painting after a dream, as a kind of homage. And that she could not go on and finish it.

No, about the "new royalists", there is an interesting portrait of Louis XVII, that may be made by Vigee.

http://louis17.ifrance.com/

Some think that, by this painting showing symbols, Elisabeth meant that the little king was still alive.

So...... ?

Interesting. When was that painting of Louis-Charles done? After his death? He looks very different there from the other paintings, and he has blonde hair as described in the various memoirs. There were MANY rumors at the time that he had survived, in those days before DNA.

Mme. V-L may have had "survivors' guilt." it is a common phenomenon any time there has been a massacre or a many deaths.

Sun Jan 28, 2007 7:02 pm
Marquis/Marquise
Marquis/Marquise

Or was it just survivor's wishful thinking?With every brutal royal death comes the refusal to accept that it did actually happen. People wanted to believe Louis XVII had survived...they wanted to believe it so much that perhaps they managed to convince themselves that they were right.
A similar phenomenon occured after the massacre of the Romanovs in 1917: people reported sightings of some of the Princesses (notably Anastasia, but also some of her sisters) and of the little Tsarevich Alexis.

Sun Jan 28, 2007 8:34 pm
Profile WWW
Prince/Princesse
Prince/Princesse

Wishful thinking had a lot to do with it. But, historically, there were many rumors at the time, after BOTH the murders of the French and Russian royal and imperial families, and in each case, MANY pretenders. Some of these pretenders succeeded in convincing many people and even today, some have a following.

I would recommend Deborah Cadbury's book The Lost King and Vidal's Madame Royale, since each explore the various claimants - very historically interesting since many people were involved at the time, including Talleyrand, Louis XVIII, and Madame Royale herself.

For the Russian claimants, see Peter Kurth's The Riddle of Anna Anderson as well as King and Wilson's The Fate of the Romanovs. Also Radzinsky's The Last Tsar.

Sun Jan 28, 2007 8:53 pm
Comte/Comtesse
Comte/Comtesse

I the Portrait with Antoinette an her 3 Children where is the jewelry box?

Tue Feb 20, 2007 10:45 pm
Prince/Princesse
Prince/Princesse

Wed Feb 21, 2007 7:10 am
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 112 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next