Marie Antoinette Online
  • FORUM
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sat Nov 18, 2017 4:50 am

Reply to topic  [ 10 posts ] 
 Recomendations 
Noble
Noble

Post Recomendations
Had a quick look on amazon and there seems to be so much choice. Had a quick look on the forum to see who the avoid and one name did come up more than once so her books will be avoided.

What would you suggest for me to purchase and read? I don't mind buying quite a few now as I can always take my time

Wed Nov 07, 2007 10:40 pm
Duc/Duchesse
Duc/Duchesse

Good morning! I personally LOVED The Journey by Antonia Fraser. I liked Abundance, but others on here didn't like it. And that's all i've read on her so far.

Other ones on my list to read are Queen of Fashion, The Scented Palace and The Knight of the Maison Rouge.

~ Marie Antoinette to Marie Theresa, 11 November, 1780

http://WalltoWallPaintball.com

Thu Nov 08, 2007 2:46 pm
Prince/Princesse
Prince/Princesse

I very much enjoyed the memoirs of Madame Campan...
I couldn't decide about Fraser's book. I was the first books got about Antoinette, but I did not like her conclusions about many subjects.
I had mixed feelings about Abundance, I thought the author made Marie Antoinette look bad...

Thu Nov 08, 2007 3:35 pm
Noble
Noble

interesting keep your opinions coming as I would like to have some more interesting books in my collection to read about marie antoinette

Thu Nov 08, 2007 9:17 pm
Duc/Duchesse
Duc/Duchesse

"The Life of Marie Antoinette, Queen of France" by Charles Duke Yonge is an interesting book. It's actually avaliable on the internet, so therefore I can definitely recommend it. Here's one site where you can find it: http://www.gutenberg.org/etext/10555

I like memoirs most though, because they're written in an interesting way, so I would recommend reading the most famous memoirs, like Madame Campan's. As always reading historical books not everything is true though, so it's best to read as much about the subject as you can.

If you would like to read a fictional novel I would recommend Elena Maria Vidal's books Trianon and Madame Royale. It's nice not only to read biographies... :wink:

Thu Nov 08, 2007 9:53 pm
Prince/Princesse
Prince/Princesse

There are so many listed here on this forum already that are excellent. Nesta Webster's "Louis XVI and Marie Antoinette Before the Revolution", and "Louis XVI and Marie Antoinette During the Revolution" are a must read as far as I am concerned.

Fri Nov 09, 2007 2:26 am
Marquis/Marquise
Marquis/Marquise

The Journey by Antonia Fraser is a wonderful book, Rei_Hino :)

Fri Nov 09, 2007 2:15 pm
Noble
Noble

I think I will be sitting down and looking through which ones I will order this week

Sun Nov 11, 2007 12:25 pm
Prince/Princesse
Prince/Princesse

"The Life of Marie Antoinette, Queen of France" by Charles Duke Yonge is an interesting book.

If you would like to read a fictional novel I would recommend Elena Maria Vidal's books Trianon and Madame Royale. It's nice not only to read biographies... :wink:

I would recommend those, too!

Sun Nov 11, 2007 1:55 pm
Prince/Princesse
Prince/Princesse

There are so many listed here on this forum already that are excellent. Nesta Webster's "Louis XVI and Marie Antoinette Before the Revolution", and "Louis XVI and Marie Antoinette During the Revolution" are a must read as far as I am concerned.

Definitely, a MUST read!!

Sun Nov 11, 2007 1:56 pm
Reply to topic   [ 10 posts ]