Marie Antoinette Online
  • FORUM
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Tue Nov 21, 2017 2:49 am

Reply to topic  [ 13 posts ] 
 Recommendation for first book? 
Post Recommendation for first book?
Hello everyone :)
I was wondering if anyone could recommend a good first book about Marie Antoinette?
The only book I read regarding her was The Diamond Necklace Affair, and I'm not even sure that's what it was called since I read it about 3 years ago, nor can I really remember it. All the info I have gotten so far I read on the net or saw in a movie...or heard from my mum, and I'm not sure that these are entirely accurate, so if anyone could recommend something that would be great :D

Thanks, Barbara ^_^

Sat Aug 02, 2008 1:45 am
Prince/Princesse
Prince/Princesse

Post Re: Recommendation for first book?
Hello Hertog, or Miss B. I would Highly recommend Abundance by Sena Jeter Naslund. I would recommend this book because a lot of people have said that they couldn't put it down. That is how I read it too. Then I would recommend it because you are with her when you read it as opposed to reading about her. I read it with a book about Versailles close by. showing floor plans, rooms, grounds, fountains, art of Versailles handy to look at, as I "was there" with Marie Antoinette and I wanted an accurate imagination. The writer is so descriptive. I think it would be an incredible "journey" for you before school starts again. It really puts you in Versailles with her. You will be happy it is a long book.

Sat Aug 02, 2008 5:43 am
Hi Elle, thanks for the reply:) I'll be sure to have a look in the library for it, and the Versailles book with the floor plan etc is very good idea:D My mum also mentioned about some diary that Marie Antoinette had :? or something like that, i'm not too sure, I was wondering whether you've heard of this before?

Sat Aug 02, 2008 5:50 am
Prince/Princesse
Prince/Princesse

There is a fictional book The Hidden Diary of Marie Antoinette by Caroly Ericson (correct my spelling). That was my first book about Marie Antoinette and the last, since I am informing about her from a different sources since than. I loved the book but there are many negative points that are other members pointing to. I didn’t like all that fiction but I liked the way M.A. character was portrayed. I gave that book to many friends and all of them liked it. It is easy for reading and very emotional at the end. Not to mention how my friend are feeling sympathy for Marie Antoinette now.

Sat Aug 02, 2008 6:35 pm
Royalty
Royalty

Bonjour dear! I would highly recommend browsing through some of the topics in this forum for further discussion of interesting titles. Fraser's 'Marie Antoinette: The Journey' is a good beginner, as well as 'Queen of Fashion: What Marie Antoinette Wore To The Revolution' by Caroline Weber. Also do try to chase up older titles from Nesta Webster, Madame de La Rocheterie, Stanely Loomis et al. Oh and Marija, it's Erikson. :book:

Last edited by Délicate fleur on Fri Mar 27, 2009 4:22 am, edited 2 times in total.

Sun Aug 03, 2008 3:21 am
Prince/Princesse
Prince/Princesse

Délicate fleur wrote:
Oh and Marijia, it's Erikson. :book:

Thanks, I have troubles with names! :biggrin:

Mon Aug 04, 2008 12:20 am
Prince/Princesse
Prince/Princesse

Hertog, I recommend the book "Marie Antoinette" by Desmond Seward. The chapters about her imprisonment are so powerful, it is a very good book. Seward is very sympathetic and obviously likes Marie Antoinette very much. :wink: The Memoirs of Madame Campan are good too, providing you with many details as to what she was really like.

Mon Aug 04, 2008 4:20 pm
Prince/Princesse
Prince/Princesse

Eleanor Hibbert writing as Victoria Holt: The Queen's Confession. I read this book in high school and loved it.

Sun Aug 10, 2008 7:23 pm
Marquis/Marquise
Marquis/Marquise

Arietta wrote:
Eleanor Hibbert writing as Victoria Holt: The Queen's Confession. I read this book in high school and loved it.

Me too!!! This was the first book I read on Marie Antoinette and it sparked my interest in her :)

From the Declaration of Arbroath (Scottish Declaration of Independence), 1320.

Sun Aug 10, 2008 9:41 pm
Prince/Princesse
Prince/Princesse

I would recommend reading "Farewell My Queen" by Chantal Thomas or "Trianon" by E. M. Vidal.

http://www.amazon.com/Farewell-My-Queen ... dtl_pop_28

http://www.amazon.com/dp/0911845968?tag ... BZREMB0Z4&

Wed Aug 13, 2008 1:19 pm
Prince/Princesse
Prince/Princesse

Here is a guide to books about the Queen.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/richpub/syltgu ... 47-7632956

Wed Aug 13, 2008 1:21 pm
Prince/Princesse
Prince/Princesse

Madame Vigée-Le Brun wrote:
Hertog, I recommend the book "Marie Antoinette" by Desmond Seward. The chapters about her imprisonment are so powerful, it is a very good book. Seward is very sympathetic and obviously likes Marie Antoinette very much. :wink: The Memoirs of Madame Campan are good too, providing you with many details as to what she was really like.

Seward's bio is definitely among the best.

Wed Aug 13, 2008 1:21 pm
Comte/Comtesse
Comte/Comtesse

Hello all! I am browsing through this topic and glad I am. Although I have already read 6 books regarding MA, there are many here that I hadn't heard of. THANKS! It's hard to tell from a search engine what books are good or not so great. This is a great topic.

Sun Jan 04, 2009 3:45 am
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 13 posts ]