Marie Antoinette Online
  • FORUM
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Fri Nov 24, 2017 10:07 pm

Reply to topic  [ 138 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
 Elena Maria Vidal's "Trianon" 
Prince/Princesse
Prince/Princesse

I definately have to put it on my ever so long reading list lol.
I remember when I found Marie Therese's Memoirs on the internet. I printed them out and read them in one night.

Tue Sep 26, 2006 1:18 am
Prince/Princesse
Prince/Princesse

Tue Sep 26, 2006 1:51 am
Prince/Princesse
Prince/Princesse

lol its so true. There's never enough time :(

Sun Oct 01, 2006 7:10 pm
Prince/Princesse
Prince/Princesse

The boring and innacurate novel I am now reading (Naslund's "Abundance") makes me nostalgic for the better written novels about the queen and her husband.

Sun Oct 01, 2006 7:38 pm
Prince/Princesse
Prince/Princesse

:lol: I'll have to listen to you and avoid that one :wink:

Wed Oct 04, 2006 3:24 am
Prince/Princesse
Prince/Princesse

:lol:
I finally finished Naslund's "Abundance" and it is one of the most tedious books that I have ever read in my life. :roll: Naslund has accomplished the impossible - making Marie-Antoinette into a bore. :cry: However, it seems that in most novels, when the queen isn't being made into a whore, then she is being made into a bore. Most contemporary writers do not seem to grasp that a person can be virtuous and still have fun. Marie-Antoinette was enchanting, mischievous and charismatic, as she is portrayed in "Trianon." She was lively, very passionate but loyal to her faith.

One wonders when reading "Abundance" if someone wanted a remake of "Trianon" without the overt Catholicism, so instead Marie-Antoinette is turned into a nice American Protestant lady who occasionally says the rosary. There is lots of niceness, but "Abundance" is essentially lacking in depth.

There are many similarities between "Abundance" and "Trianon" that I hope are coincidental. In both books there are scenes involving Madame Elisabeth and a rose; the queen is shocked when the representatives of the Third Estate clap in the Church in the presence of the Blessed Sacrament, and Madame Vigee-Lebrun paints the queen, admiring her translucent complexion. In "Abundance" those scenes are meaningless, whereas in "Trianon" the rose symbolized Elisabeth's martyrdom, the disrespect of the Blessed Sacrament heralded the attack on religion in which the royal family would be attacked as well (Naslund does not even mention the Civil Constitution of the Clergy which caused Louis XVI so much agony.) As for the scene with the painting, in "Trianon" it is when Madame Vigee-Lebrun discovers how to capture the queen's beauty of soul; in "Abundance" they are all just admiring her physical appearance. Very shallow, no depth, no agony, no glory and transcendence, as in "Trianon."

"Abundance" still could have been an interesting book if it had not had so many long passages that go nowhere and say nothing. But that is the fault of the author's style.

Last edited by Therese on Mon Oct 16, 2006 2:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Wed Oct 04, 2006 2:57 pm
Prince/Princesse
Prince/Princesse

Did you ever read "Marie Antoinette: Princess of Versailles" by Kathryn Lansky? (its part of the Royal Diaries series) and if you did what did you think of it?

Wed Oct 04, 2006 10:03 pm
Prince/Princesse
Prince/Princesse

Merci, Rudy! My friend's daughter read Lasky's book and liked it very much. The mother thought it was good for a ten year old to read "Princess of Versailles" as an introduction to reading "Trianon" when a bit older. I have not read it, but it sounds good, and a way for children to learn about Marie-Antoinette, as all the "Royal Diaries" are intended.

Wed Oct 04, 2006 10:12 pm
Prince/Princesse
Prince/Princesse

Yes when i was about 13/14 I was buying all the Royal Diaries cause I liked them for that. I liked the Marie Antoinette one as well lol It was interesting. :wink:

Thu Oct 05, 2006 1:38 am
Prince/Princesse
Prince/Princesse

Yes, the "Royal Diaries" series is a great way to get adolescents interested in history. The problem is that the "diary" mode of telling M-A's story has now been done to death. That is why novels like "Trianon" and Thomas' "Farewell my Queen" are more interesting renditions. In "Trianon" the reader is essentially taken to a dimension outside of time where the past and present can be viewed, from the points of view of different characters in the queen's life, as well as a glimpse of the future. This approach also captures the feeling that many people have when they visit Petit Trianon, of being outside of time.

Thu Oct 05, 2006 1:16 pm
Prince/Princesse
Prince/Princesse

I think the diary mode is used the most often because its one of the easiest ways to tell a story :lol:
I am very interested in "Trianon" you speak so highly of it and I loved "Madame Royale" I've read it like four different time maybe more 8)

Fri Oct 06, 2006 3:02 am
Prince/Princesse
Prince/Princesse

Yes, I think "Madame Royale" is much better than "Trianon" but others (like my mom) enjoyed "Trianon" better. I think that each book is so different, with "Trianon" being more artistic and impressionistic and "Madame Royale" more chronological. They can't really be compared, since one book is about facing death and the other book is about facing life.

Fri Oct 06, 2006 1:26 pm
Prince/Princesse
Prince/Princesse

Sun Oct 08, 2006 8:54 pm
Prince/Princesse
Prince/Princesse

The first part of "Trianon" takes place on October 15, 1787 and then on Oct 6, 1789. The second part of the book takes mostly place in 1793 and 1795. The story is told in flashbacks, reminisences, and letters.

Sun Oct 08, 2006 9:14 pm
Prince/Princesse
Prince/Princesse

oh very nice! Thanks for the info, when I finally have some money I am definately going to order that. I was under the impression that it took place way before the revolution lol

Tue Oct 10, 2006 1:30 am
Reply to topic   [ 138 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next