Marie Antoinette Online
  • FORUM
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Tue Nov 21, 2017 2:26 am

Reply to topic  [ 138 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
 Elena Maria Vidal's "Trianon" 
Prince/Princesse
Prince/Princesse

Here is a review of Trianon. Marie-Antoinette is described as a "Swan in the Lake of Glory" by the reviewer.

http://traditioninaction.org/bkreviews/ ... rianon.htm

Mon Nov 27, 2006 10:42 pm
Prince/Princesse
Prince/Princesse

thanks for posting.

If "Trianon" was as good as "Madame Royale" then I think it should be part of all French Revolution Curriculum not just Catholic ones. Its a very important point of view that everyone should learn so that they can see the Revolution wasn't some heroic event.

I enjoyed their description of Marie Antoinette (although I kind of feel like they put too much importatance on lineage, but thats just me) Its true though when you think of a French king Louis XIV is who comes to mind and when you think of a French Queen Marie Antoinette is who you think of. She truly succeed in reinventing the role of a Queen in France and made sure that she was someone that everyone took notice of

Tue Nov 28, 2006 5:26 am
Prince/Princesse
Prince/Princesse

The upheaval and long-term results of the French Revolution do not just effect Catholics, but everyone. People need to be aware of the underlying agenda behind the cries of "Liberty, Equality, Fraternity," which is totalitarianism, and the dehumanization of those who disagree with the regime. The deliberate dehumaniztion of the royal family was a warning for us all. Trianon is one of the few novels that brings out underlying meaning of the Revolution for modern people. The novels which are preoccupied with Fersen fantasies only distract people from the reality of history which has influenced all of our lives.

Tue Nov 28, 2006 2:37 pm
Prince/Princesse
Prince/Princesse

I agree with you, Therese, it is a matter of cultural education, of the values we were taught, more than of religious concerns.

Tue Nov 28, 2006 4:01 pm
Prince/Princesse
Prince/Princesse

The Russian Revolution was directly inspired by the French revolution, and unleashed generations of bloodshed, horror and thought control in the former Soviet Union and the satellite domains.

Tue Nov 28, 2006 5:05 pm
Prince/Princesse
Prince/Princesse

And its funny because since Communists are not liked by Western Society, we've been allowed to see the Russian Revolution as evil.
One of my history teachers did teach us that Robespierre is one of historys worst mass murderers behind Stalin, Hitler and one other guy (can't remember who though) yet people like Thomas Jefferson still see the French Revolution as good a thing. :shock:

Tue Nov 28, 2006 5:41 pm
Prince/Princesse
Prince/Princesse

Having been raised in Belgium, I was taught by teachers who had a huge admiration for Robespierre, but even more for Lenine and Tolstoi. Communism was considered a beautiful ideal by many intellectuals. I admit I still have an affection for this ideal of sharing... Unfortunately, people take the ideals, and transform them at their conveniences...

Tue Nov 28, 2006 6:04 pm
Prince/Princesse
Prince/Princesse

Yes! Many intellectuals have been fascinated by Jacobinism and Communism. They sound good on paper. Marie-Antoinette and her family and the Tsar and his family are the archetypal examples of the human suffering that comes from those systems.

Tue Nov 28, 2006 6:25 pm
Prince/Princesse
Prince/Princesse

You're right, dear Therese... Ah, I am afraid political systems are too theoretical for human beings, in any case...

Tue Nov 28, 2006 7:11 pm
Prince/Princesse
Prince/Princesse

Very true, dear Pimprenelle. People continually seek "salvation" from new political leaders and new political experiments. But the carnages of the French and Russian revolutions show us that utopian political experiments are doomed to fail....

Tue Nov 28, 2006 7:19 pm
Prince/Princesse
Prince/Princesse

Constitutional monarchy could have been a wise compromise for XVIIIth century France. Some people said this solution failed because of Marie Antoinette, who was too reactionary. I don't think so. I am deeply persuaded that revolutionaries would have let no chance to this solution. They prepared a constitution that was not realistic. The aim was to desappoint everybody, and to instal a republic in France.

Tue Nov 28, 2006 7:23 pm
Prince/Princesse
Prince/Princesse

As interesting as I find ideas like Communism I don't believe in Violence in order to make them a reality which is what it seems to call for.

Yes the Revolutionary's were determined to destroy the monarchy, one way or another and instead of standing idley by the Queen choose to fight.

Tue Nov 28, 2006 7:27 pm
Prince/Princesse
Prince/Princesse

I agree, Pimprenelle. Marie-Antoinette knew that they wanted a constitutional monarchy only if Orleans was king. Later, this happened with Louis-Philippe d'Orleans, the "Citizen-King." But they discarded him when he was of no further use....

Tue Nov 28, 2006 7:27 pm
Prince/Princesse
Prince/Princesse

As interesting as I find ideas like Communism I don't believe in Violence in order to make them a reality which is what it seems to call for.

Yes the Revolutionary's were determined to destroy the monarchy, one way or another and instead of standing idley by the Queen choose to fight.

Violence seems to be an integral part of revolutionary politics. Even in 1830, the crown of Louis-Philippe was ratified by violence alone.

Tue Nov 28, 2006 7:30 pm
Prince/Princesse
Prince/Princesse

Monsieur Royale wrote:

Violence seems to be an integral part of revolutionary politics. Even in 1830, the crown of Louis-Philippe was ratified by violence alone.

Yup which is perhaps why it ended in violence too. I believe heavily in Karma and that negative energy (such as violence,etc) only produces negativity.

Tue Nov 28, 2006 7:34 pm
Reply to topic   [ 138 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next