Marie Antoinette Online
  • FORUM
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sat Nov 25, 2017 12:21 am

Reply to topic  [ 3 posts ] 
 The Private Life of Marie Antoinette: A Confidante's Account 
Royalty
Royalty

Post The Private Life of Marie Antoinette: A Confidante's Account
The Private Life of Marie Antoinette: A Confidante's Account

I recently purchased this book and am about half of the way through it. I was wondering if any of you have read it, and what your take of it is. The viewpoint at times has me a little puzzled, was just curious of your opinions. :D

It is said that Madame Campan was one of her ladies in waiting, and often read to the family. At first when i purchased this book i was a little skeptical... but i have heard her name mentioned a few places before, so i decided it was worth starting.

Please let me know what you all think :)

Jean-François

Tue Jul 31, 2007 6:11 am
Prince/Princesse
Prince/Princesse

I take it you are reading the translated mémoires of Madame Campan? Even though written under the restoration period so somewhat coloured by the pro royalty sentiments of that time, it is an invaluable insight into the private life of the Queen, and Madame Campan was priviliged to witness many things no-one else saw. She paints a very positive picture of our Queen , but then on the whole that's what most of us think of her. She also gives an interesting and positive insight into the character of the Queen's favourite, Yolande de Polignac, who is often accused of being an intriguer...Madame Campan says that at no stage did Yolande try and extort favours from the Queen, the latter just couldn't resist trying to please her beloved friend. Its' an indispensable read like so many others.

Wed Aug 01, 2007 10:02 am
Noble
Noble

Post Re: The Private Life of Marie Antoinette: A Confidante's Account
Hello. I am presently reading The Private Life of Marie Antoinette by Madame Campan. I find her style or writing absolutely brilliant, and I can tell from reading it that she had a real affinity for Marie Antoinette. The insights and anecdotes about Versailles, court life, and all of the pomp and ceremony of the Ancien Regime have been invaluable and, at times, incredibly amusing. The edition I have features an index of various historical illustrations which have been really informative.

I was wondering if anyone else is currently reading her memoirs, or if anyone who has previously would like to share their thoughts on them. It would be great to hear from you.

Wed Mar 26, 2008 1:09 pm
Reply to topic   [ 3 posts ]