Marie Antoinette Online
  • FORUM
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sat Nov 25, 2017 7:57 am

Reply to topic  [ 35 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next
 Queen of Fashion: What Marie Antoinette Wore to the Revoluti 
Prince/Princesse
Prince/Princesse

Post Queen of Fashion: What Marie Antoinette Wore to the Revoluti
I just got this book from Amazon! So far I've read the introduction...but I will continue reading more tonight. I really think its going to be fascinating

Fri Sep 22, 2006 3:36 am
Prince/Princesse
Prince/Princesse

Fri Sep 22, 2006 10:57 am
Prince/Princesse
Prince/Princesse

Do you mean the Carrie Weber book, "Queen of Fashion?" Yes, that is VERY interesting, I was reading it the other day. It contains much of the same biographical info regurgitated from Fraser and Zweig, but the descriptions of the clothes are fascinating. Weber maintains that there was a method to Antoinette's love of clothes; it was not pure frivolity. She dressed magnificently and stylishly as only the royal mistresses had done, not like the former dowdy queens, to prove that she was her husband's mistress as well as his wife. It was a power statement (all the Habsburgs all knew how to wield power) although we know that the queen was blocked from political life, as well as an attempt to quell the rumors about the royal couple's sexual problems, etc.

Last edited by Therese on Fri Sep 22, 2006 3:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Fri Sep 22, 2006 11:43 am
Prince/Princesse
Prince/Princesse

Oh, yes, indeed ! It seems very interesting ! I'll chack for this book on alapage.

Fri Sep 22, 2006 2:28 pm
Prince/Princesse
Prince/Princesse

Yes! Its fascinating! And how people would mock her for her style....then copy it :lol:
I do love the whole making a statement with her clothes and how it made her the centerpiece of court. Although it worked against her in many ways (the double standard of society, Louis XIV got away with it, but a Queen who dresses this way is far too dangerous :shock: )

Fri Sep 22, 2006 8:43 pm
Marquis/Marquise
Marquis/Marquise

I've recently purchased this book, it looks fascinating.

Fri Oct 27, 2006 5:06 pm
Profile WWW
Prince/Princesse
Prince/Princesse

I am going so slow....enjoying it none the less.

Fri Oct 27, 2006 10:56 pm
Marquis/Marquise
Marquis/Marquise

I've started reading it. I must say, I like her writing style.

Mon Nov 13, 2006 12:34 pm
Profile WWW
Prince/Princesse
Prince/Princesse

I feel she's captured Marie Antoinette's Attitude accurately! (for the most part)

I am still not done though...

Tue Nov 21, 2006 5:26 am
Marquis/Marquise
Marquis/Marquise

i've just started reading this and only put it down when i fall asleep after reading it for ages in bed(!) its a beautiful book and i'm really enjoying the fashion descriptions. it was fascinating to read that when MA died, royalist women starting wearing thin red ribbons round their neck. i've just finished the chapter about the 'pouf' which is fantastic. i didn't realise women had to go to bed with their hair still in 'pouf' style and had horrible things like lice etc! what women do for fashion eh? still the same today no doubt! (obviously not the lice part more not eating for weeks on end i guess! :roll: )

i really recommend it!

take care
x

Tue Nov 21, 2006 6:56 pm
Prince/Princesse
Prince/Princesse

Right now I am on the chapter called "The Simple Life"

I love reading how women bankrupted themselves to try and follow MA's fashion and MA is the one who is blamed for eroding the women's morality, etc :shock: its like are you kidding me?
Also thought it was interesting to learn more about Rose Bertin and Leonard! They both turned into such snots :?

Tue Nov 21, 2006 7:04 pm
Marquis/Marquise
Marquis/Marquise

absolutely agree monsieur royale, the story could easily be told today. people still spend too much on clothes whether they can afford to or not! some folk can't seem to see that just because a queen or a celebrity (in today's terms) has plenty that they can't necessarily have the same.

daft eh?!

Sat Nov 25, 2006 1:05 am
Marquis/Marquise
Marquis/Marquise

absolutely agree monsieur royale, the story could easily be told today. people still spend too much on clothes whether they can afford to or not! some folk can't seem to see that just because a queen or a celebrity (in today's terms) has plenty that they can't necessarily have the same.

daft eh?!

Sat Nov 25, 2006 1:06 am
Prince/Princesse
Prince/Princesse

lol really! people are such peculiar creatures...

Sun Nov 26, 2006 6:44 am
Marquis/Marquise
Marquis/Marquise

i finished this book and it was utterly fascinating and so heartbreaking towards the end. i really recommend it to everyone.

i particularly enjoyed how colours of her dresses were like a code eg yellow and black for the habsburg family, green and violet for royalty.

the book really opened my eyes on an aspect of MA that people usually go on and on about (her expenditure on clothes) but actually know very little about. her expenditure was pretty normal compared to what other nobles were doing and when she started dressing more plainly, she was attacked by her own people. talk about a no win situation! :roll: :(

Fri Dec 29, 2006 1:22 am
Reply to topic   [ 35 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next