Marie Antoinette Online
  • FORUM
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Mon Nov 20, 2017 7:15 pm

Reply to topic  [ 28 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2
 Marie Antoinette: The Journey 
Prince/Princesse
Prince/Princesse

I hope she at least read Françoise Kermina ! :roll:

Sat Oct 07, 2006 6:29 pm
Marquis/Marquise
Marquis/Marquise

:?: Dear Pimprenelle, are you offended by my statement I have said before making you think I was praising such a man as Fersen? Personally, in my opinion I don't like him considering he had mistresses but obviously he had to have been a "sweet talker" if he had so many women he was involved with.

:!: I never have heard that he spoke ill of the Queen giving her orders and such, why would Marie put up with such nonsense then?? :x

Sun Oct 08, 2006 1:47 am
Prince/Princesse
Prince/Princesse

This bad behaviour is reported and analysed in his biography by Kermina. You can indeed find tracks of it in their correspondence during the revolution. He clearly gives orders to the queen of France ! And she, the daughter of the Caesars, humbly replies that she "hopes he would be happy with her letter"...

:x You're right !

Thu Oct 12, 2006 10:14 am
Prince/Princesse
Prince/Princesse

That is very fascinating. I never heard about that. Not a complete shock though afterall they always refer to him as a Take charge kind of guy, too bad for him she doesn't take orders :lol:

Fri Oct 13, 2006 12:58 am
Prince/Princesse
Prince/Princesse

Indeed, she took orders ! She obeyed Fersen just like a little girl ! And this finally lead to this terrible Brunswick manifesto !

He was awful a conservative and a reactionary. He was completely out of time and gave her lethal advises. She should have listened to Barnave !

And Barnave was more handsome too... :wink:

Fri Oct 13, 2006 6:12 am
Prince/Princesse
Prince/Princesse

:shock: oh I am definately going to have to look into this! thanks for the info pimpernelle!

Fri Oct 13, 2006 10:09 pm
Marquis/Marquise
Marquis/Marquise

Thank you Pimp, this is awfully fascinating!

remember, Marie was naive, so she did act like a little child but I wish she could have stood up to Fersen.

Sat Oct 14, 2006 3:10 pm
Duc/Duchesse
Duc/Duchesse

Dear Brigette, there is a HUGE topic about Fersen ! We already expressed all our feelings about him... :wink:

But I can't resist doing it again, shortly... No, in my view, the man was not the chivalrous knight we all princesses dream about ! However, as Chantal Thomas noticed, he had the face of an angel, and this specific quality, most of all, may explain the fascination nowadays people feel for him.
These are very different from the usual rose marshmallow dreams so many authors give us on the Fersen theme ! With screaming violines... :lol:

My goodness what books are you reading? :shock:

I have not read every book out there but I have never come away from anything I read about Fersen thinking, 'Wow what a hottie, wish I had been there'....IMO he was a slug.

The fact still remains our impressions, what we can glean from snippets of history has little to do with what the real flesh and blood women, Marie Antoinette may have seen in him. She obviously did not think he was a slug (and believe me a slug is not Escargot)

Sat Oct 14, 2006 10:14 pm
Prince/Princesse
Prince/Princesse

No, she did not see him as a slug. I think she saw him as a dear friend. He had problems with his indigestion, I believe, and M-A was always one to give advice on health. Kermina's bio is a great reference on all this....

Sat Oct 14, 2006 11:19 pm
Duc/Duchesse
Duc/Duchesse

Kermina's bio is a great reference on all this....

Sadly, this book is only (or so I can find) in French.

With Fersen we have so many things (letters, diaries and the like) available to us to help us form opinions about his character that Marie did not have.

It is easy for me to say I think he was "a slug".

Sun Oct 15, 2006 12:35 am
Prince/Princesse
Prince/Princesse

LOL, easy for me to see him as a slug, too!

Sun Oct 15, 2006 1:08 am
Prince/Princesse
Prince/Princesse

Loomis' book is very interesting, I think. "The Fatal Friendship".

Mon Oct 16, 2006 4:07 pm
Duc/Duchesse
Duc/Duchesse

Definitely, in my view, Count Fersen was an ambitious man who once dreamed of ruling France through an imprisoned queen... :evil:

Pimprenelle......I would really hope you would elaborate on this, I found your view fascinating. The more I learn about him the bigger the slug he becomes.

Mon Oct 16, 2006 10:53 pm
Reply to topic   [ 28 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2