Marie Antoinette Online
  • FORUM
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sat Nov 25, 2017 2:10 am

Reply to topic  [ 91 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
 E.M. Vidal's Madame Royale 
Prince/Princesse
Prince/Princesse

It was an ok visit but not perfect. Sometimes it is better to explore special places completely alone. The best visit was when I first went there at age 17 in February. The birds were singing although it was the dead of winter. I fell in love with the place and did not want to leave.

lucky I really didn't get to explore the Hameau itself. due to the lack of time i only got to walk around the actual trianon. Sounds amazing...
I did however stop by St. Denis to see the graves of the king and queen.

Fri Nov 03, 2006 5:17 am
Prince/Princesse
Prince/Princesse

I love the statues of them at Saint-Denis. There is a scene in "Madame Royale" of Therese going there on the anniversary of her father's death and sobbing aloud in public. She never got over losing her parents, especially her father, to whom she had been so close, a kindred soul.

Fri Nov 03, 2006 12:59 pm
Prince/Princesse
Prince/Princesse

I love the statues of them at Saint-Denis. There is a scene in "Madame Royale" of Therese going there on the anniversary of her father's death and sobbing aloud in public. She never got over losing her parents, especially her father, to whom she had been so close, a kindred soul.

Me too. I bought a postcard of them and lost it the same day. I think it was when I went up on the Eiffle Tower :(
oh yes I just re read "The Retribution" chapter in "Madame Royale" last night when the Tsar is pleading for the life of a French Soilder and comments that if her father was here and she interuppts him to say "It is because of forsworn traitors like Labédoyère that my father is not here"
I loved that

Sat Nov 04, 2006 6:18 am
Prince/Princesse
Prince/Princesse

Yes, I think that scene conveyed all the pent-up frustrations of her life. She had no comprehension of people who would break oaths....But boy o boy, did she ever put the Tsar in his place.

Sat Nov 04, 2006 12:16 pm
Prince/Princesse
Prince/Princesse

In the "Heroine" chapter, she was begging the soldiers and officers to remember their oaths but most of them didn't go along with it.

Sat Nov 04, 2006 8:35 pm
Prince/Princesse
Prince/Princesse

Yes, she was very heroic to appeal directly to the soldiers, but the army was so devoted to Buonaparte. That is a great chapter, a bit stiff in parts, but it shows the princess' courage and determination.

Sat Nov 04, 2006 9:12 pm
Prince/Princesse
Prince/Princesse

Yes, that would be an amazing scene to behold.

Its interesting cause Marie Therese does the one thing that her father failed to do. Which is go to the troops and attempt to rally them. And I think Buonaparte's comment that she is "the only man in her family" is very true.
Louis XVIII was sure quick to leave France :lol:

Buonaparte :lol:

Sun Nov 05, 2006 1:28 am
Prince/Princesse
Prince/Princesse

Well, I think that like most people who have lost everything, Marie-Therese had little to fear. I guess she thought, "All they can do is kill me" and death held no fear for her. She would rather die than live with the knowledge that she had not done her duty.

Sun Nov 05, 2006 1:33 am
Prince/Princesse
Prince/Princesse

Yeah its completely true and death probly would've been a bit of a release for her.

Sun Nov 05, 2006 10:56 pm
Prince/Princesse
Prince/Princesse

Yes, but that is why she possessed such unflinching courage.

Sun Nov 05, 2006 11:46 pm
Prince/Princesse
Prince/Princesse

Yes. It would've been quite an interesting page in History had she been able to get the Bordeaux regiment's to fight for her cause against Napolean. She definately would've more so made a name for herself in history

Tue Nov 07, 2006 3:10 am
Prince/Princesse
Prince/Princesse

Well, it was really because of her that the Bourbons were restored to the throne. She insisted that the men in the family go and fight Napoleon. And Angouleme ended up in Wellington's baggage train and became a hero at Bordeaux. He really could be courageous, but otherwise, I never understood what his problem was....

Tue Nov 07, 2006 2:45 pm
Prince/Princesse
Prince/Princesse

I remember that from "Madame Royale" never was sure how true that was but its very nice to know. Its really annoying how little history ever mentions her.
Yeah Angouleme was brave. He attempted to fight Napolean during the 100 days and was captured. I wonder if Marie Therese intimidated him a lot. She was the Princess of France who had survived so many horrors. She had so much to her name and he was the Duc D'Angouleme

Wed Nov 08, 2006 1:36 am
Prince/Princesse
Prince/Princesse

Yes, that was all true about Angouleme being so brave in Bordeaux. I think it was the only way he could prove that he did love her.

Wed Nov 08, 2006 2:02 pm
Prince/Princesse
Prince/Princesse

Fri Nov 10, 2006 5:34 am
Reply to topic   [ 91 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next