Marie Antoinette Online
  • FORUM
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Mon Nov 20, 2017 6:10 am

Reply to topic  [ 30 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Marie Antoinette - The Tragic Queen 
Duc/Duchesse
Duc/Duchesse

Post Marie Antoinette - The Tragic Queen
I just obtained this old book: Marie Antoinette - The Tragic Queen - written by Dorothy Moulton Mayer 1968.

It has a good collection of pictures. There is some kind of rendering of most of the people involved, busts, etching or painting etc, very interesting to see.

Thu Oct 19, 2006 4:29 am
Prince/Princesse
Prince/Princesse

Thu Oct 19, 2006 9:27 pm
Prince/Princesse
Prince/Princesse

I never heard of this but please melly, tell us what you think.....

Fri Oct 20, 2006 1:50 pm
Duc/Duchesse
Duc/Duchesse

I never heard of this but please melly, tell us what you think.....

I have not read it yet, my little stack of 5 books is now up to 9, and I am just reading "Queen of Fashion" which I am finding interesting so far.

There are pictures (small, black & white) but I have never seen (like the busts of Comte and Comtesse de Provence which is interesting to me.

Fri Oct 20, 2006 9:49 pm
Prince/Princesse
Prince/Princesse

haha I am reading "Queen of Fashion" too lol. I am going at a slow pace. :(

Sat Oct 21, 2006 7:45 am
Duc/Duchesse
Duc/Duchesse

Yes, so I am. Trying to absorb. I feel so over my head with so many heavyweights on this forum. I make a fool of myself :oops: every time I post.

Sat Oct 21, 2006 8:50 pm
Prince/Princesse
Prince/Princesse

Monsieur Royale wrote:

Yes, so I am. Trying to absorb. I feel so over my head with so many heavyweights on this forum. I make a fool of myself :oops: every time I post.

I have felt the same way so many times! It makes you relise how much more you have to learn :lol:

Sun Oct 22, 2006 9:57 pm
Duc/Duchesse
Duc/Duchesse

Speaking not so much as a heavy weight - more like a dead weight - (age-ist joke .... )

Everyone`s post are interesting and worth reading - it is great having you here with us.
I love the diversity of the personalities - and their range of knowledge, and special interests here on the forum. I feel that you have already become one of us, and made me think.... and I am certain you will add so much to this discussion board.

I would love to know more about your knowledge of Mary, Queen of Scots
she was ancestor of MA, and one of the first people to inspire in me a curiosity about (and love of) history.

Viv

Mon Oct 23, 2006 2:37 pm
Duc/Duchesse
Duc/Duchesse

Dear Melly,

.................... I feel that you have already become one of us, and made me think.... and I am certain you will add so much to this discussion board.

I would love to know more about your knowledge of Mary, Queen of Scots
she was ancestor of MA, and one of the first people to inspire in me a curiosity about (and love of) history.

Viv

Dear Vivienne,
Thank you it is very nice to know I am not totally stumbling. I have learned a great deal already from being here such a short time, and as I said in some earlier post my goal is not about me knowing everything or having to be right but to learn as much as I can.

Mary, Queen of Scots - I first read Antonia Frasier's book in the early 70's. When I read about her last hours I cried, and her little dog whimpering between her body and her head on the scaffold I cried more, and I felt they murdered someone I knew. I have 'studied' her more than anyone on the planet and I own more books etc about her than anyone (and also the Tudor reign) I am also passionate about Anne Boleyn.

I get the same feeling about the Marie Antoinette, no matter how many times I read about her and I know how the story is going to 'end' I still find myself thinking or talking to her in my head, saying "don't do that", "don't trust them"...silly, yes?

I have always said if I ever get back to France (I never got near anything of interest) I would try to go to as many places as all my Queens had historically been. Nice day dream so far.

Tue Oct 24, 2006 8:22 am
Prince/Princesse
Prince/Princesse

I get the same feeling about the Marie Antoinette, no matter how many times I read about her and I know how the story is going to 'end' I still find myself thinking or talking to her in my head, saying "don't do that", "don't trust them"...silly, yes?

This feeling I know so well, melly...... So often I stop reading and begin "what if"...... ? And I keep imagining what if they succeeded at Montmedy, what if Rougeville managed to get her out of the temple, what if the whiggers could rescue her on this very last minute.........

Tue Oct 24, 2006 8:35 am
Duc/Duchesse
Duc/Duchesse

I have a feeling that you will return to France one day ..... ( it would be more difficult stopping you !!!!!!!!!!! )

Vivienne

Tue Oct 24, 2006 3:18 pm
Prince/Princesse
Prince/Princesse

Mary, Queen of Scots - I first read Antonia Frasier's book in the early 70's. When I read about her last hours I cried, and her little dog whimpering between her body and her head on the scaffold I cried more, and I felt they murdered someone I knew. I have 'studied' her more than anyone on the planet and I own more books etc about her than anyone (and also the Tudor reign) I am also passionate about Anne Boleyn.

Have you read Alison Weir's Mary, Queen of Scots and the Murder of Lord Darnley? The main focus is on Darnley's murder but Weir also describes Mary's reign in Scotland.
You may want to read Jean Plaidy's Royal Road to Fotheringay and The Captive of Scots (reissue due out next month). I've read both books--Plaidy is a great writer!

Tue Oct 24, 2006 7:02 pm
Duc/Duchesse
Duc/Duchesse

Have you read Alison Weir's Mary, Queen of Scots and the Murder of Lord Darnley? The main focus is on Darnley's murder but Weir also describes Mary's reign in Scotland.
You may want to read Jean Plaidy's Royal Road to Fotheringay and The Captive of Scots (reissue due out next month). I've read both books--Plaidy is a great writer!

Another Marie Stuart enthusiast?

Yes, I do have these books also. I agree about J. Plaidy's work. I have been reading her historical novels as long as I can remember?! lol

Tue Oct 24, 2006 10:08 pm
Prince/Princesse
Prince/Princesse

Tue Oct 24, 2006 10:23 pm
Duc/Duchesse
Duc/Duchesse

I love Mary, too!

That is wonderful that there are so many of us here!!

Tue Oct 24, 2006 11:56 pm
Reply to topic   [ 30 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next