Marie Antoinette Online
  • FORUM
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Mon Nov 20, 2017 7:54 am

Reply to topic  [ 20 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Sofia Coppola's book 
Marquis/Marquise
Marquis/Marquise

Post Sofia Coppola's book
Have anyone bought this book http://www.amazon.com/o/ASIN/0847828980 ... 68-3637413 ? It's quite difficult to me to get it, so if you could tell me what kind of book it is.

Sat Jan 13, 2007 5:37 am
Prince/Princesse
Prince/Princesse

I did not know this book Arianna...but according to the film I have doubts about its quality as an history book... :?

Sat Jan 13, 2007 9:48 am
Profile WWW
Prince/Princesse
Prince/Princesse

:lol: And I am not sure I would be interested in a book relating the making off this specific movie ! :lol:

Sat Jan 13, 2007 10:05 am
Prince/Princesse
Prince/Princesse

Ah... still a book to earn money... :?
It is well necessary to forget the vexations of the film :D

Sat Jan 13, 2007 10:12 am
Profile WWW
Prince/Princesse
Prince/Princesse

Sat Jan 13, 2007 4:12 pm
Prince/Princesse
Prince/Princesse

Now a BOOK by Sofia Coppola?? :? :shock: You have GOT to be kidding..... :o

Sat Jan 13, 2007 4:49 pm
Prince/Princesse
Prince/Princesse

http://www.amazon.com/Marie-Antoinette- ... F8&s=books
Alas no, my dear friend, we are not kidding... and it's expensive, moreover ! :lol:

I already imagine the first sentence : "I did know nothing about queen Marie Antoinette and decided not to learn more, for ignorance would be a more refreshing and artistic standpoint".
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Sat Jan 13, 2007 4:56 pm
Prince/Princesse
Prince/Princesse

I have the impression that it is Coppola who causes us!
Next year she will create "the cakes Marie-Antoinette" and the "watch Marie-Antoinette" :?

Sat Jan 13, 2007 4:58 pm
Profile WWW
Prince/Princesse
Prince/Princesse

Sat Jan 13, 2007 5:13 pm
Noble
Noble

I have this book, but i were quite disappointed as to its contents, only parts of the script and pics of the film. The pics are nice, but the book fails to convey the luxurious and colourful ambiance of the film.
And i still defend that inspite of the historical innacuracies this film is visually gorgeous and very sensitive.

Imagine there is a painting of MA which doesn´t resemble the Queen, but even though it doesn´t portrays accurately her face it can however be a good painting, a work of art. A film about the Queen doesn´t need to be historically faithful in order to be a good film. Remeber it´s not a documentary, only a very own and personal interpretation on the part of the director. And certainly an artist is entitled to take whatever liberties he/she considers necessaries to create his/her art.

PD.: Let us not be ungrateful, and comment about the collateral earnings disdainfully, for we cannot ignore this film has prompted a lot of interest on the Queen and the resulted publicity has meant additional exhibitions and new books and etc. Antonia Fraser´s book has only been translated into spanish because of this movie, for example.
Do not forget money and publicity moves almost everything in this world.

Sat Jan 13, 2007 6:39 pm
Prince/Princesse
Prince/Princesse

Oh, Antonio... We did not need to see this old Fersen story portrayed one more time, we did not need to see our queen partying and gambling like a fool... :?

As Mme Lorin, of l'Association Marie Antoinette, said, we work so hard on rehabilitate the queen. This movie put us years backwards !

Sat Jan 13, 2007 9:58 pm
Noble
Noble

Of course, Pimprenelle, i agree on that point. And it´s soo true that for people who doesn´t know anything and have not studied the real facts, this film can easily harm the image of the Queen. However, She did indeed gamble and partied as a teenager. And i just don´t find that anything to be ashamed of. On the contrary, i should have found it quite disturbing if She had acted otherwise. You can´t judge a person´s character only on the ground of one brief stage of his/her life. And i don´t know a single person that, after reading any book on the Queen, has failed to admire her in some way or the other.

Sat Jan 13, 2007 10:49 pm
Royalty
Royalty

I would agree with you Mique if the film was indeed a good one, but I can't give it that. It's all fairy floss as far as I'm concerned. Yes beautifully shot and nice to look at but a good film needs more than that.

I find it quite amazing that the script has been published and is selling given the vapidity of it, but of course that is just my opinion.

Naturally I'm very pleased to see people taking an interest in Marie Antoinette, I just wish that the vehicle for their interest had been of better quality :)

Sun Jan 14, 2007 12:19 am
Profile ICQ YIM WWW
Prince/Princesse
Prince/Princesse

Yes, all we wish is that the queen not be profaned in order to increase the interest in her.

Sun Jan 14, 2007 3:31 am
Prince/Princesse
Prince/Princesse

However, She did indeed gamble and partied as a teenager. And i just don´t find that anything to be ashamed of. On the contrary, i should have found it quite disturbing if She had acted otherwise. You can´t judge a person´s character only on the ground of one brief stage of his/her life.

Indeed, she gambled and partied and danced, and laughed at older people and collected dresses and perfumes... But she had other activities also ! She composed, played music and sang... What does it become with Sofia Coppola's camera ? Dunst awfully screaming "C'est mon ami", with so ridiculous faces that the whole theatre burst in laughs around me.

Sun Jan 14, 2007 9:53 am
Reply to topic   [ 20 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next