Marie Antoinette Online
  • FORUM
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Nov 23, 2017 8:33 pm

Reply to topic  [ 211 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 15  Next
 What are you reading currently? 
Prince/Princesse
Prince/Princesse

Almost every week i have faced the same dilemma. Why people with intelligent and fantastic work are forgotten or ignored and those with very mediocre resources have their marks in history. The same happens in art, music etc. Of course there is then a possibility for nice surprises, but I just ask how many are lost from our eyes. :shock:

Sat Feb 03, 2007 8:25 am
Prince/Princesse
Prince/Princesse

Nesta Webster's books are ignored because many accuse her of being a "Nazi.' Of course, she was not a Nazi, but a more of a monarchist, although most of her political writings would seem extreme to us today. In her time, before WWII, people were being polarized into the extreme right and the extreme left, with few understanding the meaning of the consequences of such extremities.

It is a shame, because her analysis of Louis and Antoinette is by far the best, in my opinion.

Sat Feb 03, 2007 2:17 pm
Prince/Princesse
Prince/Princesse

Excellent question, Pimprenelle dear!
Almost every week i have faced the same dilemma. Why people with intelligent and fantastic work are forgotten or ignored and those with very mediocre resources have their marks in history. The same happens in art, music etc. Of course there is then a possibility for nice surprises, but I just ask how many are lost from our eyes. :shock:

I agree, it makes me sad when I see the bookstores full of the most mediocre and even false works about the queen, and that is what everyone is reading.

Sat Feb 03, 2007 2:19 pm
Marquis/Marquise
Marquis/Marquise

Has anyone read Abundance by Sena Jeter Naslund? I just finished it and I wondered if anyone else has read it, and what they thought of it. Also, I'm really interested in the Elena Vidal books, they got such good reviews. Hopefully I'll be able to get my hands on a copy soon.

~*vive la reine*~

Thu Mar 15, 2007 2:54 am
Prince/Princesse
Prince/Princesse

Elena's books can be ordered through this site, go to "books" on the banner above.

Thu Mar 15, 2007 3:28 am
Marquis/Marquise
Marquis/Marquise

yes, i wasn't quite sure what to think of it, but i definitely got a sense of some other opinions in the book club thread about it... its only merit was that it portrayed Marie as a kind person who was eager to please... thanks for the info about the Vidal books!

~*vive la reine*~

Thu Mar 15, 2007 4:07 am
Comte/Comtesse
Comte/Comtesse

I am very excited because today Bernard Fay's Louis XVI (the English translation of course) arrived! :D I have heard very good things about it, so I'm eager to read it, I'm up to chapter two now and it's very good so far.

I have also read Abundance, or at least tried too, it was not very good at all, and to think I used good bus tickets getting to the library to borrow it.

I would like to read Elena Vidal's books but I can't really afford to buy them with the exchange rate and postage. Sadly they're not available in any libraries here. Oh well, I shall save up my money to purchase them some day.

Thu Mar 15, 2007 6:55 am
Prince/Princesse
Prince/Princesse

Yes, Fay's book is excellent, although he is a bit hard on the queen, like the Coursacs.

Keep an eye on Amazon because sometimes they offer discount copies of Vidal's books, half the price.

Thu Mar 15, 2007 11:48 am
Prince/Princesse
Prince/Princesse

Quote:
haven't read this book by Nesta Webster, only "Marie Antoinette intime"
Is 'Marie Antoinette intime' a Nesta Webster book? I am currently reading Fraser's 'Journey', and Schama's 'Citizens' (still!), but am looking next at the library for Webster's 'Louis XVI and Marie Antoinette During the Revolution. I enjoyed her writing immensly! Funny, I did not find her writing or views extremist.

Thu Mar 15, 2007 1:36 pm
Prince/Princesse
Prince/Princesse

Pimprenelle writes:
Quote:
haven't read this book by Nesta Webster, only "Marie Antoinette intime"
Is 'Marie Antoinette intime' a Nesta Webster book? I am currently reading Fraser's 'Journey', and Schama's 'Citizens' (still!), but am looking next at the library for Webster's 'Louis XVI and Marie Antoinette During the Revolution. I enjoyed her writing immensly! Funny, I did not find her writing or views extremist.

I never found her writings on the French royal family extremist either. I think she is quite balanced and scholarly.

Thu Mar 15, 2007 3:51 pm
Prince/Princesse
Prince/Princesse

Sadly they're not available in any libraries here.

Have you tried to request either book through interlibrary loan at your public library? I got a library copy Madame Royale that way through my university library.

Thu Mar 15, 2007 8:52 pm
Comte/Comtesse
Comte/Comtesse

Have you tried to request either book through interlibrary loan at your public library? I got a library copy Madame Royale that way through my university library.

I haven't actually, but I live in Australia, and I have looked at a couple of library catalogues online but no luck. But I shall ask next time I'm at the library, since you never know! :D

Fri Mar 16, 2007 8:37 am
Prince/Princesse
Prince/Princesse

I'm currently reading a book called "Diary of what happened in the Temple prison". It details the eye witness accounts of Cléry, the King's confessor, and Madame Royale.

The preface is by a guy called Jacques Brosse. I think it was written (the preface) in 1968. Interesting to see the negative way he portrays our Queen in a preface to a historical book. that being said I don't disagree with everything he writes in this preface, just most of it:

Free Translation:

"Louis XVI basically never gave up hope of revenge, he always thought the Revolution would peter out, that its excesses would oblige it take stock and withdraw, that it enough to wait and make a few timely concessions. And even if the King had accept these new principles, if he had really allowed himself to be convinced, at his side there was an fervent opposant of revolutionary ideas, a character infinitely more obstinate than his own, always capable of making her point of view accepted, the Queen who never forgot and therefore never knew how to make others forget the fact that she was Austrian, daugther and sister of the hereditary enemy, the Emperor."

Fri Mar 23, 2007 8:32 pm
Comte/Comtesse
Comte/Comtesse

Can someone tell me more about this book...?

http://www.amazon.fr/Lanneau-sacr%C3%A9 ... 229&sr=1-1

Marie Antoinette contacting a medium?

Weird...

Mon Apr 02, 2007 9:05 am
Prince/Princesse
Prince/Princesse

I have read this book, dear York, and wouldn't recommand it. It is quite delirious...

The ghost of Marie Antoinette appeared to Marie Delorme, being quite angry and wanting revenge.... :? Then, there also is this malediction on the royal family... :? coming from the templars, you see ? And Varennes was located in a crucial triangle... :?

Mon Apr 02, 2007 9:07 am
Reply to topic   [ 211 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 15  Next