Marie Antoinette Online
  • FORUM
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sun Nov 19, 2017 3:13 am

Reply to topic  [ 211 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 15  Next
 What are you reading currently? 
Prince/Princesse
Prince/Princesse

I'm currently reading a book called "Diary of what happened in the Temple prison". It details the eye witness accounts of Cléry, the King's confessor, and Madame Royale.

The preface is by a guy called Jacques Brosse. I think it was written (the preface) in 1968. Interesting to see the negative way he portrays our Queen in a preface to a historical book. that being said I don't disagree with everything he writes in this preface, just most of it:

Free Translation:

"Louis XVI basically never gave up hope of revenge, he always thought the Revolution would peter out, that its excesses would oblige it take stock and withdraw, that it enough to wait and make a few timely concessions. And even if the King had accept these new principles, if he had really allowed himself to be convinced, at his side there was an fervent opposant of revolutionary ideas, a character infinitely more obstinate than his own, always capable of making her point of view accepted, the Queen who never forgot and therefore never knew how to make others forget the fact that she was Austrian, daugther and sister of the hereditary enemy, the Emperor."

I once read a similar one. Only it was called "The Ruin of the Princess" and had Clery's Memoris, Letters from Madame Elisabeth and the memoirs of the Duchess D'Angouleme. It was available completely on the internet for free...and the public library actually allowed me to print the whole thing. It was nice :lol:

Wed Apr 04, 2007 7:05 am
Prince/Princesse
Prince/Princesse

I am actually mainly rereading Lord of the Rings right now, which I do fairly often.

Wed Apr 04, 2007 10:04 pm
Prince/Princesse
Prince/Princesse

Yeah!! I finally received Nesta Webster "Louis XVI and Marie Antoinette During the Revolution" today!

Thu Apr 05, 2007 1:47 am
Prince/Princesse
Prince/Princesse

Hi Elizabeth, where did you order it from?

Thu Apr 05, 2007 7:45 am
Prince/Princesse
Prince/Princesse

Thu Apr 05, 2007 11:54 am
Prince/Princesse
Prince/Princesse

Thu Apr 05, 2007 12:05 pm
Prince/Princesse
Prince/Princesse

SOunds interesting. Though I am mainly interested in the days prior to the revolution.

Thu Apr 05, 2007 7:25 pm
Prince/Princesse
Prince/Princesse

Moose, Nesta Webster also wrote "Louis XVI and Marie Antoinette Before the Revolution". It is fabulously detailed and very readable! My favorite M.A. read so far!

Thu Apr 05, 2007 7:36 pm
Prince/Princesse
Prince/Princesse

Thu Apr 05, 2007 11:36 pm
Hi! I'm currently reading Marie Antoinette: The Journey. I'm near the end now at chapter 25. I'm planning to read Madame Royale next. Any other suggestions of good reads about Marie Antoinette and her family? I've just started to be really interested in her. Thanks! :D

Wed Aug 15, 2007 7:11 am
Marquis/Marquise
Marquis/Marquise

I'm reading 'Marie Antoinette' by Joan Haslip right now, in Finnish.

Wed Aug 15, 2007 9:24 am
Marquis/Marquise
Marquis/Marquise

Wow! Finnish, that's cool. Currently I'm reading Madame Campan's memoirs, which can be downloaded here: http://www.ladyreading.net/marieantoinette/index-en.html if you have winzip, which I think is also available for free dowload online somewhere. I really like Mme. Campan's memoirs, I feel like I've stepped into Marie Antoinette's actual world because it's an account of someone who actually knew her. :)

~*vive la reine*~

Thu Aug 16, 2007 11:37 pm
Royalty
Royalty

I am also reading Madame Campan's Memoirs, it is very good, so i like to read it slowly so i can digest all the information... it is truly a treasure trove of info!

Fri Aug 17, 2007 2:58 am
Marquis/Marquise
Marquis/Marquise

I try to savor each little anecdote; there are so many!

~*vive la reine*~

Fri Aug 17, 2007 4:31 am
Marquis/Marquise
Marquis/Marquise

I have to read Madame Campan's Memoirs then if it's good :) I downloaded it from somewhere in the net too, but I don't remember where!

Fri Aug 17, 2007 5:48 am
Reply to topic   [ 211 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 15  Next