Marie Antoinette Online
  • FORUM
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Tue Nov 21, 2017 5:44 pm

Reply to topic  [ 3 posts ] 
 Unanswered questions about the necklace affair 
Prince/Princesse
Prince/Princesse

Post Unanswered questions about the necklace affair
Please find hereafter a message our friend York74 asked me to post on the board :

Italian historian Benedetta Craveri recently wrote a book about the necklace affair.

The story is very well told and, in the end, she asks some questions that still do not have satisfying answers:

Why, on 5 June 1787, one year after her incarceration, Jeanne de La Motte was able to "escape" her prison from the main door, at 11 AM, in the company of her maid?

Why was there a hansom waiting for her which took her to Luxembourg on a carefree journey?

Authorities did not intervene at all, why? Why was this all possible?

And why, still in prison, was La Motte treated as a revered guest?

And finally why did Gabrielle de Polignac, the queen's best friend, pay a visit to La Motte in prison?

Mon Mar 12, 2007 8:14 am
Prince/Princesse
Prince/Princesse

And finally why did Gabrielle de Polignac, the queen's best friend, pay a visit to La Motte in prison?

Both closest friends of Marie Antoinette had a role in this affair : Mme de Lamballe went to the Salpetriere and try to visit Lamotte. The nun refused to let her go, saying that the prisoner "was not obliged to meet her".

Why did Mme de Lamballe come to the prison ? For mysterious reasons linked to the affair ? Because she was a goog-hearted lady ? In this case, wouldn't her compassion seem strange from a devoted friend of the queen ?

Did Mme de Lamballe come as a freemason ? Paying a visit to some actress having played a role in a necklace plot imagined by some freemasons ? Terrible too, from a close friend of the queen...

Anyway, this visit always seemed strange and unappropiate to me.

Now, regarding Mme de Polignac, she went to England, officially to have baths, officiously to meet Lamotte after her flight and buy her most recent edition of her awful memoirs.

When she came back to Versailles, the queen had her appartment refreshed. To thank her. Evidence that Mme de Polignac's journey to England was not for her pleasure !

Mon Mar 12, 2007 8:24 am
Prince/Princesse
Prince/Princesse

Didn't the French people tend to regard Jeanne De LaMotte as a Hero at the time? (Prob why she was treated so well in prision)
I wouldn't be suprised if Provence or Orleans were involved in some way...

As for the Princess De Lamablle perhaps she was sent by Marie Antoinette to gaze upon the woman who had caused the Queen such misfortune?

Thu Mar 15, 2007 9:20 pm
Reply to topic   [ 3 posts ]