Marie Antoinette Online
  • FORUM
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sun Dec 17, 2017 11:23 pm

Reply to topic  [ 122 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ... 9  Next
 biographies of marie antoinette 

Which biography do you prefer?
Antonia Fraser 38%  38%  [ 11 ]
Stefan Zweig 14%  14%  [ 4 ]
Carolly Erickson 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Lever Evelyne 10%  10%  [ 3 ]
Haslip Joan 3%  3%  [ 1 ]
André Castelot 3%  3%  [ 1 ]
others 31%  31%  [ 9 ]
Total votes : 29

biographies of marie antoinette 
Prince/Princesse
Prince/Princesse

You know, Pimprenelle! Sometimes I feel I am most near to Marie Antoinette when playing the musique of that epoque, even the same pieces, with harp. I really cannot explain it. It is a very strong feeling. And perfectly keeps the balance between the rigid researching for all the litterary sources..

Fri Jul 14, 2006 1:23 pm
Prince/Princesse
Prince/Princesse

Aurora, I have the same strong feeling when I am listening to music of that epoch, especially music that I know the queen herself enjoyed! Amazing!

Fri Jul 14, 2006 1:26 pm
Prince/Princesse
Prince/Princesse

Dear Therese, it is like somehow these sounds have the power to re-create a piece of Marie Antoinette's existence for people who are sensitive enough to be able to feel the glads and sorrows of the life of La Reine. That is certainly not the case of all the music, only this special period of time and place and pieces related to Marie Antoinette. I agree, amazing and nothing fake, but as a great gift to us living in the 21st century. And vice versa, I always get shivers when hearing revolutionnary songs Ca ira, Carmagnole etc. and some later compositions of Gossec, for example.

Fri Jul 14, 2006 1:42 pm
Prince/Princesse
Prince/Princesse

Yes, Aurora, I agree, having experienced the same!!

Fri Jul 14, 2006 2:07 pm
Prince/Princesse
Prince/Princesse

I know this feeling too, when hearing musics she enjoyed. Sometimes (many times... ) I look at her picture, and fall into her ocean eyes...

But it's not the same as playing myself. And I can't do more than trying to imagine what you feel, Aurora, when playing on your harp music Marie-Antoinette loved, once played too, maybe...

Speaking of revolutionary songs... it's July 14th, today... If I put my tv on, I will hear the sound of "la Marseillaise". But I won't ! :evil:

Fri Jul 14, 2006 2:08 pm
Prince/Princesse
Prince/Princesse

I use to hate "La Marsaillaise" It use to represent so many bad things to me. But when I see it associated with the World War II era I can't help but like it...Like did any of you see the scene in Casablanca where the Germans start singing one of their patriotic songs and the patrons of the restaurant counter it by singing The French anthem? One of my favorite movie scenes ever

Thu Jul 20, 2006 12:52 am
Prince/Princesse
Prince/Princesse

Yes, I love that scene from "Casablanca." It is the one time I do not mind hearing the "Marseillaise."

Thu Jul 20, 2006 12:56 am
Prince/Princesse
Prince/Princesse

Glad I am not the only one. I also love to hear Edith Piaf sing it.

Out of all the different national anthems i've heard from around the world...I personally feel its one of the best...

Thu Jul 20, 2006 1:02 am
Prince/Princesse
Prince/Princesse

Glad I am not the only one. I also love to hear Edith Piaf sing it.

Out of all the different national anthems i've heard from around the world...I personally feel its one of the best...

Thu Jul 20, 2006 1:02 am
Prince/Princesse
Prince/Princesse

Thu Jul 20, 2006 1:03 am
Prince/Princesse
Prince/Princesse

Bump *my last message didn't go through correctly*

Thu Jul 20, 2006 1:03 am
Prince/Princesse
Prince/Princesse

The same thing happened to me!! One of my messages was posted six times!!

Is that Edith Piaf in "Casablanca," singing the "Marseillaise" on the guitar? I never knew!!

Thu Jul 20, 2006 1:47 am
Prince/Princesse
Prince/Princesse

No thats not Edith Piaf singing it...I just heard it on one of her CDS. She's amazing! 8)

Thu Jul 20, 2006 3:45 am
Prince/Princesse
Prince/Princesse

Over the years, I've read several biographies of Marie Antoinette and each author has a different take on her. Anyone read Vincent Cronin'sLouis and Antoinette? I don't have a particular preference, c'est moi.
I have Fraser's book on my bookshelf.

Sat Jul 29, 2006 1:38 am
Prince/Princesse
Prince/Princesse

c'est moi

What do you mean, Arietta ? Do you mean that it is your temper to have no peculiar preference ? Since you read French, I would warmly recommend Bertière's "Marie-Antoinette, l'insoumise". The best biography of the queen ever written, following many readers and our queen's admirers.

Sat Jul 29, 2006 10:14 am
Reply to topic   [ 122 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ... 9  Next