Marie Antoinette Online
  • FORUM
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Tue Dec 12, 2017 4:43 am

Reply to topic  [ 122 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9
 biographies of marie antoinette 

Which biography do you prefer?
Antonia Fraser 38%  38%  [ 11 ]
Stefan Zweig 14%  14%  [ 4 ]
Carolly Erickson 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Lever Evelyne 10%  10%  [ 3 ]
Haslip Joan 3%  3%  [ 1 ]
André Castelot 3%  3%  [ 1 ]
others 31%  31%  [ 9 ]
Total votes : 29

biographies of marie antoinette 
Noble
Noble

Post Re: biographies of marie antoinette
So far, I just have the Antonia Fraser book. I have only very recently developed an interest.

Tue Jan 05, 2010 5:09 am
Comte/Comtesse
Comte/Comtesse

Post Re: biographies of marie antoinette
So far, nothing conquers Caroline Weber's "Queen of Fashion: What Marie Antoinette Wore to the Revolution" in my eyes. It doesn't dig as profoundly into Marie Antoinette's life as Antonia Fraser's book; it's specific area of concentration is her sense of fashion and how it revealed her inner nature and moods, affected the way the public perceived her, and ultimately altered the course of her life. I loved how fast-paced the book was and if I remember correctly Weber seemed to sympathize with Marie Antoinette and at the same time wasn't afraid to acknowledge her flaws. I plan to re-read it someday; it was packed with interesting information not just about Marie Antoinette, but of Rose Bertin as well.

Another incredible book is: "A Scented Palace: The Secret History of Marie Antoinette's Perfumer" by Elisabeth de Feydeau, which focuses on the life and work of her personal perfumer Jean-Louis Fargeon. Obviously it isn't about Marie Antoinette in particular, but of course she is a major presence. This book is small enough to read in one sitting but it's very informative and beautifully detailed; I could almost smell the floral soaps and exotic lotions described so vividly.

Sat Apr 07, 2012 2:00 am
Reply to topic   [ 122 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9