Marie Antoinette Online
  • FORUM
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Fri Nov 24, 2017 2:54 pm

Reply to topic  [ 10 posts ] 
 Interesting Reading.. 
Post Interesting Reading..
I recently read a book called 'The Scented palace' and even though it's a little on the short side it does provide a fascinating glimpse into MA ''toilet'' routine (thats bath time ladies & gentlemen). Of course it's mainly about jean fargeon who eventually became antoinette's personal perfumer. He created many bespoke scents for her.

The author did mention that the palace smelled truly vile at times...but i won't go into the details.

Mon Jun 25, 2007 2:44 pm
Comte/Comtesse
Comte/Comtesse

I've seen notices about the book but not read it.

Does the book express a view whether MA's perfume had a role in her capture at Varennes?

Tue Jun 26, 2007 8:13 pm
Profile YIM WWW
Prince/Princesse
Prince/Princesse

Wed Jun 27, 2007 9:33 am

Does the book express a view whether MA's perfume had a role in her capture at Varennes?

Not so much the scent, but having a huge box (coffret) of perfumes,powders etc certainly didn't help!

She used eau de vie lavande while in prison to calm her anxiety.....according to the book.

Wed Jun 27, 2007 5:07 pm
Comte/Comtesse
Comte/Comtesse

Axel von Fersen wrote:

Not so much the scent, but having a huge box (coffret) of perfumes,powders etc certainly didn't help!

She used eau de vie lavande while in prison to calm her anxiety.....according to the book.

Interesting. Where the queen went to all the trouble of making special order for perfume before she left and taking the perfumes with her, I wonder... whether she was wearing pefume on the fateful evening of June 21 ... whether at the key moments... when Drouet first notices her.. and later when she and Louis are stopped at Varennes and deny their identity... whether the scent of perfume that she wears gives away her true identity...

Among the citizenry of Varennes, use of perfume had to have been extremely rare... if a scent of perfume was detected it would likely draw attention

Thu Jun 28, 2007 3:14 pm
Profile YIM WWW
Prince/Princesse
Prince/Princesse

Why would Marie Antoinette not wear perfume this specific day ? She always did... However, perfume would not be necessary. Her complexion, so pale, and her neatness, were enough to betray her.

Thu Jun 28, 2007 3:21 pm
Royalty
Royalty

Is it a novel or a bio? Because it would be great if it were a novel, I need a new one!

Thu Jun 28, 2007 5:41 pm
Profile WWW
Is it a novel or a bio? Because it would be great if it were a novel, I need a new one!

Well andre, it's a mini biopic..............of jean fargeon the parfumer :D
..although there are interesting tidbits regarding MA however.

Buy the book monsieur, it makes a fascinating if somewhat short read :)

Fri Jun 29, 2007 4:42 pm
Definitely sounds to be interesting, if only a little. I'm not much into perfume at all, really. But I am interested in less pretty aspects of the past, for sure. Like, what did they use to wipe? Does anyone know, or has anyone really thought about it? I'm sure someone somewhere has wrote about it.

Warning: What is below could be offendable to anyone

And it's been know that dwelling places could smell quite vile, I wonder if it didn't have anything to do with Louis XVI's lack of sexual appetite. Perhaps, sometimes it just smelled too rancid. Could it be possible that he thought it might smell bad in a woman's "chamber" and so the thought of sex merely disguted him? Even though it is said that a woman, during menses, has the scent of life and can thereby become more attractive to the opposite sex due to a seductive sort of 'waft'.

I once read some 18th century love letters between a woman and a man who loved what emanated from his ladie's genitalia, et al., so it is not impossible to think it could have just been a more potent pleasure, especially back when it was not uncommon to go without a good bath for a while. (And if anyone can re-reference who I am talking about, that would be lovely)

Last edited by Majjette on Sat Sep 29, 2007 4:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Fri Sep 28, 2007 5:31 pm
Royalty
Royalty

Well andre, it's a mini biopic....
Buy the book monsieur, it makes a fascinating if somewhat short read :)

A biopic is a movie. I believe you meant historical fiction? :lol:

Sat Sep 29, 2007 2:44 am
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 10 posts ]