Marie Antoinette Online
  • FORUM
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Nov 23, 2017 4:56 pm

Reply to topic  [ 185 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11 ... 13  Next
 Lamballe and Polignac 
Prince/Princesse
Prince/Princesse

Indeed... Chantal Thomas describes her in her novel "Farewell my queen". She gets in the berline for leaving Versailles, and starts crying. This crying she would never stop...

Thu Jun 29, 2006 7:44 pm
Marquis/Marquise
Marquis/Marquise

Marie showed strength in my opinion for crying. If a friend cries for another friend it is very special. I think it's beautiful to see two or more friends come together laugh, smile, weep, and hold each other. Even friends have to contribute to each other somehow, it's nice to hear from Marie that she would state Lamballe and Polignac were her "inseprables" or "Angels sent from God."

Behind a person crying shows great character, you know if something ever happened to you, you know who will be there for you always to the end.

"Not even death itself can separate us."
-Marie to Lamballe

Thu Jun 29, 2006 11:48 pm
Prince/Princesse
Prince/Princesse

Madame de Polignac went to exile in 14th July (am I correct?). I've read that she went with her husband and children, with the prince de Condé and with the prince's de Condé son, the duc d'Enghien. I know that more people went with the Polignacs, but I don't remember who. :?

Do anyone have information about her "escape" of France in that night of July?

Thanks...

Mon Jul 03, 2006 10:49 pm
Prince/Princesse
Prince/Princesse

She went away on July 16th, actually. She was with her husband and children, Diane and Vaudreuil. I just learned that they first went to Metz. They were all desguised, and had taken only few clothes.

Artois went away the same night. But her wife stayed in Versailles for several weeks. There is a letter by Antoinette where she writes that countess d'Artois should join her husband.

In my view, all these people did not take the same road. Gabrielle was alone with her family. But I don't know, in fact... :shock:

Tue Jul 04, 2006 8:04 am
Prince/Princesse
Prince/Princesse

I've saw just now the cartoons "Lady Oscar"! :roll: And it was an episode with Madame de Polignac. Ohhh! They make Gabrielle seem like a selfish and false person, how only take advantage of the Queen!

I realy don't understand them! They introduce Marie Antoinette as a good person and a victim of the Revolution, but, by the other way, they show Madame de Polignac as a bad person that influenced the childish and infantile Queen.

:evil:
Oh! And by the way, Madame de Polignac wasn't blonde as we all know! She had dark hair :?

Tue Jul 04, 2006 11:25 pm
Marquis/Marquise
Marquis/Marquise

They potray Madame Polignac as a person who took advantage of the Queen. They felt the Queen contributed everything to her and she gave away nothing, which is a horrible mistake.

Wed Jul 05, 2006 4:49 am
Prince/Princesse
Prince/Princesse

For popular legends, they always need a good person and a bad one. So, when they rehabilitate the queen they need another people to be guilty. Most of the time, they fall on madame de Polignac, they call her "Marie-Antoinette's bad genius". This is all ridiculous, of course ! But the whole process damaged madame de Polignac's reputation seriously.

When you read more ancient books, you can see historians were more favorable to her, writers like Nohac or Segur or the Goncourt brothers... Later, several authors would soil this poor duchess, and this silly manga came on the top of all this ! Now, so many young mangas fans are sure madame de Polignac was an awful woman !

At least, this Coppola movie has something good : many young people will now be certain that Gabrielle was a nice girl !

Wed Jul 05, 2006 8:03 am
Marquis/Marquise
Marquis/Marquise

It actually switched around in the film come to think of it, now in the film Polignac is good but Marie is the bad girl.

The only thing I find very interesting in the film of Coppla is that she included Madame Du Barry.

Wed Jul 05, 2006 5:10 pm
Prince/Princesse
Prince/Princesse

No, in Coppola's movie, Marie-Antoinette is no bad girl, nor is Gabrielle. But they are just ordinary girls... girls next door, pompom girls ! :lol:

Wed Jul 05, 2006 8:02 pm
Prince/Princesse
Prince/Princesse

In Coppola's movie, is Gabrielle a relevant personage or is she only a secondary personage?

Wed Jul 05, 2006 10:27 pm
Marquis/Marquise
Marquis/Marquise

In Sophia's movie I believe Polignac is correctly potrayed, although I have not seen the movie but I believe Marie is wrongly potrayed. Not as a bad girl no, but really foolish. It potrayed nothing at all like the Queen we all know and love.

Thu Jul 06, 2006 2:13 am
Prince/Princesse
Prince/Princesse

Coppola did not emphatize on Marie-Antoinette's deep affections. Lamballe and Polignac are with her, all the time, but just as schoolgirls playing and partying with her. We don't see how Gabrielle was important in helping her with her children, for instance. The only advise she gives her is when the queen meets Fersen at a ball : "have fun" !

Fun, fun, fun is the only script of this movie ! So, these 3 Graces are just 3 funny girls in a funny wondercakes world !

Thu Jul 06, 2006 7:00 am
Marquis/Marquise
Marquis/Marquise

The script she wrote is nothing but to appeal to a young crowd. It's nothing to do with history, it's just an imposter who poses as Marie Antoinette.

Thu Jul 06, 2006 3:27 pm
Prince/Princesse
Prince/Princesse

Coppola Jr is talking about herself under the cover of Marie-Antoinette. Except for costumes, her movie is not interesting, in my opinion.

Thu Jul 06, 2006 3:30 pm
Marquis/Marquise
Marquis/Marquise

I think when I first saw it, the costumes were pretty but looked, "Bubble-gum." and way too perfect. I remember the Queen when she entered Versailles ripping her gowns and playing with the dogs. In this film it looks like a teenage girl who is obessessed about herself.

Thu Jul 06, 2006 3:47 pm
Reply to topic   [ 185 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11 ... 13  Next