Marie Antoinette Online
  • FORUM
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sun Nov 19, 2017 4:15 pm

Reply to topic  [ 185 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 13  Next
 Lamballe and Polignac 
Marquis/Marquise
Marquis/Marquise

A lot of people find her friendship with Polignac akward in most cases, because every day she would visit her house always. However, she was the type of person that was dependant upon people, I believe, considering she was looking for affectionate love. She was just dependant on polignac and had a strong bond friendship with her.

Wed May 31, 2006 5:28 pm
Prince/Princesse
Prince/Princesse

Of course ! But what else is friendship ? I live with my friends too... I can't live without seeing my best friend at least once a week, and having news in the meantime ! And this since ages...

Of course, you depend on your friends. But they depend on you too... Madame de Polignac did not survive a long time to Antoinette's death. She was already heartbroken with Louis XVI's execution, and, whe she heard that Marie-Antoinette was gone, she sad "now I can leave". She died on December 9th, 1793.

She depended on her friend too...

Wed May 31, 2006 5:32 pm
Marquis/Marquise
Marquis/Marquise

That was an extremely sad moment in Polignac's life. :cry:

i can't imagine being in her shoes or even Marie's shoes for that matter. I remember when Marie ran to Louis and cried, "What have I ever done to them?"

This clearly shows she was innocent like Louis said, and clearly shows she was nothing but a victim of ridicule for politcs.

Wed May 31, 2006 5:38 pm
Comte/Comtesse
Comte/Comtesse

Post Polignac's Departure
Pimprenelle - you know much of Polignac and have enormous sympathy for her - do you agree with Louis Antoinette's comment on Polignac's departure.

In Chantel Thomas's book "Adieux ma reine" which I bought after translation to English "Fairwell my Queen" - Thomas has a big scene where Antoinette convinces Polignac she must go - it is too dangerous for Polignac in France. The book is of course fiction but I assume Thomas in that case drew upon the facts.

Did the Queen ask Polignac to save herself?
or is it as L-A says that she asked her friend
to stay and Polignac insisted on leaving?

Pim, Therese, others?

Look forward to your reply.

Axel

Wed May 31, 2006 6:28 pm
Profile YIM WWW
Prince/Princesse
Prince/Princesse

Of course, Axel, it's a famous scene described by madame Campan. Of course, Chantal Thomas emphatizes on this. Marie-Antoinette never undressed Gabrielle de Polignac ! I guess this beautiful scene refers to both the queen devotion to her friend, and even dependance (Antoinette kneeling before Gabrielle to remove her stockings), and to the necessity of having desguisments to escape. This announces future flight to Montmedy.

Following madame Campan, Antoinette had to beg Gabrielle before she accepts to leave. Gabrielle fell on her knees, begging and crying. Antoinette had to call Louis for convincing her. Then came the king's order, and the Polignacs had to get away.

Wed May 31, 2006 6:43 pm
Marquis/Marquise
Marquis/Marquise

Polignac never took advantage of the Queen. In the beginning when thier friendship was growing still, Marie was supposed to go to court and expected Polignac to come. However, Polignac told her she didn't want to get involved because she didn't feel comfortable. She told Marie one day she could feel it that she will be unable to leave her. But that wasn't during the storming of Versailles or the French Revolution.

Marie Antoinette and Polignac's friendship faltered after 1785, Marie and Lamballe became close again during the French Revolution. Marie wrote to Polignac I believe and told her to get out of France. Thier friendship though did not die for Polignac died from cancer and sorrow of hearing the news of Marie's death.

Last edited by Louis-Antoinette on Wed May 31, 2006 6:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Wed May 31, 2006 6:49 pm
Prince/Princesse
Prince/Princesse

I think that the words "Now I can leave" that L-A mentioned were spoken by Gabrielle upon hearing of the queen's execution. He meant that with Antoinette's death, Gabrielle felt that she could now surrender her own soul and depart from this world. Am I correct, Louis-Antoinette?

As for leaving Versailles in 1789, Gabrielle went at Antoinette's pleading. She had children, including the baby who later became the Duc de Polignac in Charles X's regime.

Wed May 31, 2006 6:51 pm
Prince/Princesse
Prince/Princesse

Yes, Louis-Antoinette, people said that their friendship coldened in 1785, after the necklace affair, and that madame de Polignac pretended to go to baths for avoiding a visible retirement from the court.

Following some historians, however (and among them Simone Bertière I deeply admire), Gabrielle actually went to England for negociating the buying of manuscripts that Lamotte wrote. So, she went away for serving her friend and queen.

Therese, you're right to emphatize on the fact that she had husband and children. People often compare madame de Polignac to madame de Lamballe. Polignac being unfaithful and Lamballe so loyal.

Well... First of all, as you wrote, Therese, Gabrielle left on behalf of the queen. Then, having a family, she was not as free and independant as madame de Lamballe was. Antoinette surely reminded her that she had to live on for her children... since she loved them as her owns.

Wed May 31, 2006 7:00 pm
Marquis/Marquise
Marquis/Marquise

Therese, I believe you are correct and you put it poetically and everything. She felt perhaps she had nothing to live for anymore, everything she had was gone. Think about this, Marie and Polignac were very close, imagine she would go over to Polignac's house every single day. Thier time was for each other, so now Polignac was dying of cancer and she found out her best friend is dead so therefore, she can die peacefully as well without worrying what happened to her dear friend or her friend mourning of her death. It would be too much of a burden.

Pimprenelle, you are right Polignac did leave to England.

Last edited by Louis-Antoinette on Wed May 31, 2006 7:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Wed May 31, 2006 7:01 pm
Prince/Princesse
Prince/Princesse

Yes, Antoinette was deeply involved with Gabrielle's family. Didn't Gabrielle even have a grandchild? Her daughter married very young, I believe.

Wed May 31, 2006 7:03 pm
Prince/Princesse
Prince/Princesse

Therese, I believe you are correct and you put it poetically and everything. She felt perhaps she had nothing to live for anymore, everything she had was gone. Think about this, Marie and Polignac were very close, imagine she would go over to Polignac's house every single day. Thier time was for each other, so now Polignac was dying of cancer and she found out her best friend is dead so therefore, she can die peacefully as well without worrying what happened to her dear friend or her friend mourning of her death. It would be too much of a burden.

Pimprenelle, you are right Polignac did leave to England.

Yes, it must have killed Gabrielle to hear what her dear friend was going through.

Wed May 31, 2006 7:05 pm
Marquis/Marquise
Marquis/Marquise

Polignac was the one who Marie confessed to a lot of secretive things, she shared tears and heart warming moments with her. the thought of Marie in Polignac's mind devestated her consideirng what Marie went through.

Wed May 31, 2006 7:09 pm
Prince/Princesse
Prince/Princesse

I just searched on the net, Therese, seemed Aglaé had no children. She was born on May 7th, 1768 (a Taurus ! I love them !), and died aged 35 ! In Edinburg.

Wed May 31, 2006 7:13 pm
Marquis/Marquise
Marquis/Marquise

:D How funny I too was actually researching to see if Polignac had a grandchild.

Wed May 31, 2006 7:16 pm
Prince/Princesse
Prince/Princesse

She died so young. She must have been staying with Artois and Madame de Polastron, her aunt.

Wed May 31, 2006 7:16 pm
Reply to topic   [ 185 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 13  Next