Marie Antoinette Online
  • FORUM
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Fri Nov 24, 2017 4:36 pm

Reply to topic  [ 185 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 ... 13  Next
 Lamballe and Polignac 
Prince/Princesse
Prince/Princesse

I was searching about Madame Gabrielle and I found this portait:

http://www.batguano.com/VLBcadiz2.jpg

And it says: Dauphin & Governess-1788

Is it realy Madame Gabrielle??

Sun Jun 25, 2006 12:02 am
Prince/Princesse
Prince/Princesse

I think it's Louis-Charles with madame de Tourzel. Isn't it by Labille-Guiard or something ?

Sun Jun 25, 2006 8:34 am
Prince/Princesse
Prince/Princesse

What a beautiful portrait! Yes, Pim, I think you are right!!

Sun Jun 25, 2006 11:34 am
Prince/Princesse
Prince/Princesse

This is for sure madame de Tourzel with the little dauphin :

The painting you show us, Jules, is by madame Vigée Lebrun, sorry, I was wrong, and dated 1788. So, it must be Gabrielle de Polignac, indeed.
http://www.batguano.com/Vigeeartpages.html
I also wonder who the dog is ! :lol:

Sun Jun 25, 2006 12:05 pm
Prince/Princesse
Prince/Princesse

This wonderful portrait again, in colours :
It's amazing, just now that we are debating about madame de Polignac, I happened to receive an old publication I ordered long ago, "Historia" about the duchess. It's the more complete I have ever read about her life. For instance, the auteur writes that she was born on September, 10th, 1749, and not on 8th, which I had always found strange for it is the same as madame de Lamballe. Gabrielle (they say Yolande) was born in Paris, but family Polastron came from Languedoc, as you already pointed out, dear Therese.

Sun Jun 25, 2006 1:08 pm
Marquis/Marquise
Marquis/Marquise

A shame there is not many books about Lamballe or Polignac. Polginac should at least of having the honor of at least one book, Madame Du Barry has several I believe, and Lamballe only has one which is her writings edited by Catherine Hyde, but none of Polignac. :(

Sun Jun 25, 2006 5:06 pm
Prince/Princesse
Prince/Princesse

This book, "Historia", was written by whom?

Sun Jun 25, 2006 6:15 pm
Comte/Comtesse
Comte/Comtesse

Post Number of bios for Lamballe but none I know of for Polignac
Your statement is not fully accurate with regard to Princesse de Lamballe.

There do exist a number of biographies of Lamballe, beyond the Catherine Hyde, Secret Memoirs you mention. Nothing like the great numbers of biographies of Marie Antoinette or Louis XVI but there are a number of biographies of Lamballe - both recent and older biographies of Princesse de Lamballe.

Here is a listing I just got by searching current books listed for sale at French publisher alapage - http://www.alapage.tm.fr/

This list has two recent Lamballe biographies in French (1998-2005), one bio of her in English, and four more older biographies from 1900-1935 period in French.

LA PRINCESSE DE LAMBALLE - L'ANGE DE MARIE-ANTOINETTE
de : Alain Vircondelet – 2005, re-issue of 1998 book – publisher - Flammarion Pygmalion

LA PRINCESSE DE LAMBALLE - MOURIR POUR LA REINE
de : Michel Decker (de) - 1999 book – publisher Pygmalion

SECRET MEMOIRS OF PRINCESS LAMBALLE
de : Hyde;Princess Lamballe Catherine

MEMOIRES de la PRINCESSE DE LAMBALLE (favorite de marie-antoinette). - POL (andré). - paris.. ALBIN MICHEL.. 1928.

La princesse de Lamballe intime, d'après les confidences de son médecin. - Cabanes (Docteur). - P. A. Michel, sd. (entre 2 G.).

Les Amours tragiques de la première Princesse de Lamballe - ROSNY JEUNE J. H. - Les Amours tragiques Paris Lemerre 1930 in-8° broché 157 pp. 0.900 kg

La princesse de Lamballe - SOREL ALBERT-EMILE - Hachette. 1933. In-8In-8 Carré. Cartonnage d'éditeurs. Etat d'usage. Tâchée. Dos fané. Quelques rousseurs. 238 p. 1 illustration en noir et blanc.

If you got to alapage online - http://www.alapage.tm.fr/ - you can check these out.

However, there appears no such bio of Duchesse de Polignac - not even one.

The last time Pimprenelle and I talked about I spent some time (an hour or more) searching for a bio of Duchesse de Polignac – I don’t believe I came up with even one biography of her.

I just checked Alapage again and found onyl two Polignac biographies
but neither concerns MA's friend Gabrielle or any of her clan at that time.

LES POLIGNAC, MECENES DU XXEME SIECLE
de : Jean Gallois - 1995
This book is about the Polignac family from 1880 to 1995 (not about 18th c.)

Le Prince Jules de Polignac. Ministre de Charles X (1780-1847). TOME1
de : ROBIN-HARMEL 1941
This is about Gabrielle's son who had important role in the reign of Charles X and events leading to the Revolution of 1830.

Hope this helps.

Axel

Sun Jun 25, 2006 6:47 pm
Profile YIM WWW
Prince/Princesse
Prince/Princesse

"Historial" is a French magazine about history, Jules. This one is dated June 1977, and I bought it on ebay a century ago ! I had forgotten about it... It is written by Edmond Giscard D'Estaing, of the Institute, and is really fascinating. As it is something rare, I plan to translate large parts of this article on this site.

Let's begin with this :

from the convent to the country

Yolande de Polastron was born in Paris on September 10th, 1749 in an old languedocian family. She was unfortunate to lose her mother aged 3 and was given to her aunt d'Andlau who became a widow a few years later. Young Yolande spent her whole childhood far from her family, in a Convent for French high aristrocrats.

There she was very happy with girl friends like her, and she would keep a kind memory of these quiet days far from the world. But soon she had to leave this peace. She was soon 18, time to marry.

Her aunt chose a young man suitable on any account, Jules de Polignac. This man was 22, was captain in Royal Pologne regiment, and his family was among the most famous of Auvergne.

This young couple had a fortune, but they also had the charges of the poor members of their family, so that they could not afford Versailles train. So they remained with Polignac's father or madame d'Andlau, in the Louvre or at Claye.

This young woman anyway enjoy living in the country, and would have stayed there for her entire life without Diane de Polignac's intervention. Diane, her sister in law, was not very pretty, but she was clever, ambitious, and gifted for intrigues.

... to be continued...

Sun Jun 25, 2006 6:55 pm
Prince/Princesse
Prince/Princesse

Fascinating! Thanks, Pim!! That name "Giscard d'Estaing" is SO familiar to me but I can't place it.

Sun Jun 25, 2006 7:22 pm
Prince/Princesse
Prince/Princesse

Valery Giscard d'Estaing was president of France in the seventies. Edmond surely is a member of this family. I am so happy I received this magazine, Therese ! Precisely this morning ! A neighbour brought it to me for the postman made a mistake.

Just now that we are debating about madame de Polignac. Isn't it amazing ?

Sun Jun 25, 2006 7:36 pm
Prince/Princesse
Prince/Princesse

NOW I remember! The president of France - I think I had to know that name for a French exam in school!!

Yes, that magazine arrived at the right moment!!!

Sun Jun 25, 2006 7:43 pm
Prince/Princesse
Prince/Princesse

Thank you SO MUCH dear Pimprenelle!! I even didn't knew that Madame Gabrielle was at a convent :oops: :oops: And I always thought that she lived with her parents...What have I learned in three days!! :D :shock:

Sun Jun 25, 2006 8:02 pm
Prince/Princesse
Prince/Princesse

I think it is interesting, too, that Gabrielle was raised in a convent, just like Madame Elisabeth. That is probably one of the reasons that Louis wanted her to be Antoinette's friend.

Sun Jun 25, 2006 8:14 pm
Prince/Princesse
Prince/Princesse

I found this portait of Madame Gabrielle de Polignac in ebay...Never seen it before!

Mon Jun 26, 2006 1:08 am
Reply to topic   [ 185 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 ... 13  Next