Marie Antoinette Online
  • FORUM
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Fri Nov 24, 2017 2:58 pm

Reply to topic  [ 4 posts ] 
 Were Marie and Lamballe close right before the revolution? 
Peasant
Peasant

Post Were Marie and Lamballe close right before the revolution?
I always thought of them as very close friends especially since Lamballe risked her life to be near the queen during the revolution but recently i read that Lamballe and Marie grew apart when Marie became close with Polyganic and that Loius encouraged her to be friends with Polyganic and not Lamballe. I hope this isn't true because Lamballe seemed like a wonderful woman.

Tue Mar 13, 2012 1:43 am
Prince/Princesse
Prince/Princesse

Post Re: Were Marie and Lamballe close right before the revolution?
Its Polignac, not Polyganic! Sounds like some bio food or fertilizer....! :lol:

Like in all relationships there were ups and downs.

Lamballe was related to the Royal family through marriage, which changes things. She was present at the wedding table of the Dauphin and Dauphine in 1770, a singular honour. She was also of the Orléans branch through marriage, which complicates things for their relations, and a freemason, which the Queen didn't adhere to.

But she remained faithful to the Queen as she remained faithful to an idea, that of the monarchy. These were altogether stronger ties than that linking Polignac to the Queen, at least in such times where friendship perhaps counted less than duty and loyalty.

Tue Mar 13, 2012 9:08 am
Prince/Princesse
Prince/Princesse

Lamballe was certainly a wonderful person, but not exactly a rocket scientist. And the Queen, who, without being too much on the intellectual side either, was nevertheless extremely witty and fun, found her a bit dull.

Lamballe was also a pain when it came to fulfill her duty of "suritendante", which consisted in overseeing the Queen's staff. Marie-Antoinette had badgered Louis XVI into creating this very highly-paid position for Lamballe, and she was not, to say the least, too impressed by Lamballe's work. Lamballe was also a stickler for etiquette and constantly argued that this or that was incompatible with her rank -which the Queen fond unbearable seeing as she could not stand the ways of the French nobilty by and large. Lamballe did not deign to welcome the ladies the Queen had invited to her balls for instance. Lamballe eventually became a bit of an embarrassement and a real bore for Marie-Antoinette.

Tue Mar 13, 2012 11:11 am
Prince/Princesse
Prince/Princesse

She must have been relieved to see her get the chop then?! :)

Yes I have heard about Lamballe's somewhat difficult character. The Queen fell for her at a young age when she had just arrived at Court, as she was so in need of support from someone of her own sex. After that she did find her too dull compared to the light and breezy Polignac.

Tue Mar 13, 2012 1:21 pm
Reply to topic   [ 4 posts ]