Marie Antoinette Online
  • FORUM
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sat Nov 18, 2017 2:50 am

Reply to topic  [ 10 posts ] 
 Lamballe's Death 
Marquis/Marquise
Marquis/Marquise

Post Lamballe's Death
We all know what happened to Lamballe was dreadful and beyond tragic.

When I was reading the Secret Memoirs of Princess Lamballe I noticed it was very different from most Marie Antoinette's books I read.

When Lamballe's head was paraded around the temple where the Queen was, in the book of memoirs of Lamballe it mentions the Queen was being prevented from looking out the window because of Louis XVI prevented her, however, when she found out what happened she went into a violent hysteria.

In the book, the Last Queen of France, she fainted when she heard the news of her friend's death by a prisoner, and in others books like Fraiser and Erickson, it mentions she fainted when she saw her head but it doesn't mention what happened when she awoke.

What do you think?

Thu Jul 06, 2006 4:10 pm
Prince/Princesse
Prince/Princesse

I think it's impossible to know what really happened. However, most of the historians say that the queen heard the new, but did not see her poor friend. Some people, anyhow, say that she did...

In my opinion, it's awful, I know, but she did see madame de Lamballe's head through the window. They closed the curtains as quickly as they could... But I think it was too late to protect the queen from this terrible vision.

Thu Jul 06, 2006 4:17 pm
Marquis/Marquise
Marquis/Marquise

I believe that too, I think it is a combination that she fainted when she saw her friend and went into hysteria, it's possible, considering how close they were. I think anyone would go insane if they saw thier friend's death in a gruesome fashion.

Thu Jul 06, 2006 5:00 pm
Prince/Princesse
Prince/Princesse

For sure ! Furthermore, she must feel terribly guilty, for she asked madame de Lamballe to come back in the Tuileries. This poor princess knew this was not safe, for she wrote her testament. And, from her come back on, Marie-Antoinette spent much time with her, like before.

Thu Jul 06, 2006 5:04 pm
Prince/Princesse
Prince/Princesse

I think she caught just enough of a glimpse to realize what was going on. I think she had been dreading that something like that would happen to Lamballe, since during those first days of Sept 1792, thousands of imprisoned people were brutally massacred, including girls as young as ten.

Fri Jul 07, 2006 4:48 pm
Marquis/Marquise
Marquis/Marquise

I think she did knew but I think to see your friend die in person is different then to the imagination. Marie was most likely tormented with the thought that her friend might not live but to see it in person, her head on a pike, is something that she had every right to go into violent hysteria about and something to remember forever. :cry:

Fri Jul 07, 2006 4:51 pm
Prince/Princesse
Prince/Princesse

Of course, Louis-Antoinette... this awful vision obsessed her forever...

Fri Jul 07, 2006 4:58 pm
Noble
Noble

Just for a precision (or maybe to be corrected) I didn't read that Marie-Antoinette asked Pricess de Lamballe to come back in France. I read the contrary, she pried her to stay in England, but the princess who was really worried about the security of her friend decided to come back in France.
Well, this is what I read.

Then, well, when I learn how the poor princess died during the "Massacre de Septembre" I was really horrified ! Marie-Antoinette after having learnt what happened (or see her friend's head_who really knows?_) may have felt guilty beacause it is because the Princess de Lamballe was her friend that she had been murdered.

Wed Aug 30, 2006 6:44 pm
Profile WWW
Prince/Princesse
Prince/Princesse

This is rather complicated, Axel... I read both explanations... Add to this that most of Antoinette's letters to Louise de Lamballe are false !

De Decker, in his "Princesse de Lamballe", tells us that Marie-Antoinette wrote several times to her friend not to come, actually. But, in October 91, the situation was better, and they could hope that the revolution was over.

Following de Decker, Antoinette sent a messenger to madame de Lamballe, who was in Aix-la-Chapelle, and asked her to come back. Then, the princess obeyed, and wrote her testament. Actually, she was afraid of being attacked during her journey and to die without seeing Antoinette again.

She got back to her Pavillon de Flore in the Tuileries, and became the center of plotting against the revolution and for the royalty. I guess this slaughter she met her awful death were not spontaneous at all. Madame de Lamballe's name was on a black list, and, in my view, was executed as a political enemy of the revolution.

Wed Aug 30, 2006 7:42 pm
Noble
Noble

Well, i always thought MA had never seen the Princess´ head. Really, i have read the guards closed the curtains before the head reached the window, and so the Queen had asked what did the mob demanded. Then, when being told they brought the head of her friend she fainted. At least that is the version i´ve most oftenly read. Of course, we should never know for sure, but i don´t think she had enough time to actually see the head through the window. Only to know of it would be enough reason to faint, without having to see the real thing.... And i must confess i prefer to believe she was spared that terrible sight.

Thu Jan 11, 2007 2:12 am
Reply to topic   [ 10 posts ]