Marie Antoinette Online
  • FORUM
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sat Dec 16, 2017 7:16 am

Reply to topic  [ 107 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
 Who was Gabrielle 
Marquis/Marquise
Marquis/Marquise

It is my pleasure Jules de Polignac! And to all who wished for these quotes. :D

Fri Aug 11, 2006 11:05 am
Prince/Princesse
Prince/Princesse

Gabrielle left France after the affair of the necklace in 1786 (am I rigth? or was it in 1785?) and returned when?

Sat Aug 12, 2006 3:26 pm
Marquis/Marquise
Marquis/Marquise

I believe I think at least it was July 14, 1789 where the Polignac family decided to leave after the fall of the Bastille. Gabrielle only lived a few years more then she died from sorrow and cancer in 1793 after hearing the death of her beloved friend.

Sat Aug 12, 2006 4:07 pm
Prince/Princesse
Prince/Princesse

I believe I think at least it was July 14, 1789 where the Polignac family decided to leave after the fall of the Bastille. Gabrielle only lived a few years more then she died from sorrow and cancer in 1793 after hearing the death of her beloved friend.

Thank you, but I didn't meen to ask that :oops: What I wanted is:

Gabrielle left Versailles in 1785/1786 for a while...She went to England, but then she returned after a year or two...Then, in 1789 she left France again and forever...

So, I've asked when did she left France for the first time? In 1785 or in 1785? And when did she returned? I'm not refering to the flee of July 14th..

But thanks :wink: :wink:

Sat Aug 12, 2006 5:46 pm
Prince/Princesse
Prince/Princesse

I believe that it's in 1786 that Polignac left France for England, after "L'affaire du collier", in order to prevent that the report of "la Comtesse de la Motte" was published in France.
1786 appear righter to me, but I'm not sure at 100% :wink:

Sat Aug 12, 2006 10:42 pm
Profile WWW
Prince/Princesse
Prince/Princesse

It's difficult to determine the date of her return... But, when she came back, her appartments were repainted, meaning that her journey actually was in order to serve the queen.

Fri Aug 18, 2006 12:04 pm
Prince/Princesse
Prince/Princesse

By the way, Gabrielle's appartments were at the south section (I'm not sure if it's called section, I only know the portuguesse form, "ala sul"), near the aristocrats appartments?

Mon Aug 28, 2006 11:12 pm
Prince/Princesse
Prince/Princesse

Ah la la, Jules ! I have read this so many times... But I am just a zero with a map in my hands ! All that I know is that Gabrielle's appartments were close to the queen's, of course. Then, she moved to assume her charge, and was close to the dauphin. She slept in a room with a glass wall between her and the dauphin, so that she could look upon him.

Tue Aug 29, 2006 9:48 am
Marquis/Marquise
Marquis/Marquise

originally, Gabrielle was to stay only for a short while until the Queen begged her for thier friendship to stay alive so Marie even moved the court next to her apartments.

Tue Aug 29, 2006 2:10 pm
Prince/Princesse
Prince/Princesse

I think this scene, when Antoinette begs Gabrielle to stay with her, happened in Fontainebleau.

Tue Aug 29, 2006 5:16 pm
Marquis/Marquise
Marquis/Marquise

Right! :D and that's when Gabrielle decided she will return and fulfill her promise to stay with her.

Wed Aug 30, 2006 12:06 am
Prince/Princesse
Prince/Princesse

Do you think that in Coppola's movie Gabrielle is well retreated?

Sun Oct 22, 2006 12:34 am
Prince/Princesse
Prince/Princesse

And from the begining there is error on her person: she is presented as Duchesse whereas she was still Comtesse when she arrived to Versailles. And Coppola presents Polignac as a woman who thinks only of the men and who speaks only about this subject. :?

Sun Oct 22, 2006 8:55 am
Profile WWW
Prince/Princesse
Prince/Princesse

Is there any details about Aglaés's death? I know that she died in a fire accident, but when and why? Was it realy an accident or was it a murder, like the Duc d'Enghien's death?

Sat Nov 25, 2006 7:26 pm
Marquis/Marquise
Marquis/Marquise

She was a sweet, pretty young woman, but she was cast as one of the principle villains in the pamphlets and journals, so by the late 80's she was despised, perhaps even more so than the Queen (which is why Antoinette insisted she leave France; out of concern for her safety).

Why did the revolutionaries target her in particular? She and her family had relatively little money before she became friends with Antoinette, but afterwards they found themselves very well-off indeed. Of course, no one should be surprised that friends might help one another, but the revolutionaries explained it by saying that Antoinette had been granting favors to her lesbian lover. It was yet another example of the bizzare, psychosexual, woman-hating mentality that pervaded the entire Revolution. Also, it was widely believed that the famine was a plot by the Royalists to enrich themselves; Polignac was seen as a beneficiary of the "famine plot".

This is just my opinion, but I feel that her crime was merely that she managed to enter the society of Versailles. It's not quite right to say that the leaders of the revolution fantasized about doing the same, but there's an element of truth to it. You see in many of them -- Marat, Hebert, others -- a certain longing to ascend to a more exalted social plane, which casts some light on their hatred for a woman who achieved precisely that. ("Who does this Polignac think she is? It must be a lesbian thing.")

Wed Jan 03, 2007 9:06 am
Reply to topic   [ 107 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next