Marie Antoinette Online
  • FORUM
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Fri Dec 15, 2017 4:35 am

Reply to topic  [ 107 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
 Who was Gabrielle 
Prince/Princesse
Prince/Princesse

It is true that any leader also revolutionnaires imagine themselves at some point on the top power position.

Wed Jan 03, 2007 10:43 am
Prince/Princesse
Prince/Princesse

I agree with this statement too. As well as witth the idea that the French revolution can be characterized by a mygonistic viewpoint and psychosexual fantasms. Let's add xenophobia...

Wed Jan 03, 2007 11:02 am
Prince/Princesse
Prince/Princesse

Also, gabrielle was seen as being part of Artois' circle of reactionaries who were determined to resist the revolution and saw louis XVI as a liberal.

Wed Jan 03, 2007 3:47 pm
Prince/Princesse
Prince/Princesse

Indeed! Polignac was close to Artois, this one being very appreciated of Marie-Antoinette too!
The Queen and Polignac had mutual friends, except Vaudreuil... :?

Last edited by Louis-Charles on Wed Jan 03, 2007 6:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Wed Jan 03, 2007 4:11 pm
Profile WWW
Prince/Princesse
Prince/Princesse

Especially this little Louise, who was Gabrielle's sister-in-law (Louise de Polastron) and d'Artois' great love. Antoinette befriended her too.

Wed Jan 03, 2007 6:15 pm
Prince/Princesse
Prince/Princesse

However Vaudreuil was not the only one perhaps: I have just remembered me that certain contemporaries said that during a period Marie-Antoinette did not go any more to the balls of Polignac because she did not like very much severals Polignac's friends ... But the names were unknown :lol: ... and it is only an assumption...

Wed Jan 03, 2007 6:22 pm
Profile WWW
Prince/Princesse
Prince/Princesse

I'm very interested about Gabrielle's granddaugther, Aglaé Angélique Gabrielle de Gramont, daugther of Aglaé de Polignac. She was born in 1787 and married with an old russian general Aleksandr Davydov, chanching her name to Aglaya Antonovna Davydova. She had a brief affair with Pushkin and she was one of the most beautiful and promiscous aristocrats in St Petersburg.
Her husband died in 1815 and in 1831 she married with a french baron, general Horace Sébastiani.
Vigée Le Brun painted a portait of her, but I can't find it... :wink:

Sun Mar 18, 2007 11:56 pm
Prince/Princesse
Prince/Princesse

According to the site this painting is called "1784 “Marie-Gabrielle de Gramont, Duchesse de Caderousse"

Mon Mar 19, 2007 9:34 am
Profile WWW
Prince/Princesse
Prince/Princesse

http://fr.wikipedia.org/wiki/Horace_S%C3%A9bastiani
http://worldroots.com/cgi-bin/gasteldb?@I36657@

Mon Mar 19, 2007 9:41 am
Prince/Princesse
Prince/Princesse

I too am very interested in the descendance of the Duchesse de Polignac. You may just find a copy of the painting on the following site http://www.batguano.com (strange name!) However I cannot understand how she could have been born in 1787 if she was the granddaughter of Gabrielle?

I have a few questions about Gabrielle if anyone knows the answers:

Who was the Armand that MA refers to in one of her letters to the exiled Gabrielle?

Where is she buried and is it true that her tombstone reads "died of a broken heart"?

Does anyone know if Gabrielle has any direct descendants alive today?

As far as her character and reputation is concerned, I am in agreement with the general feeling here. I tend to believe Campan when she says that Gabrielle was a simple unaffected person who was embarrassed by the Queen's favours and never openly sollicited them. She preferred the simple life, rarely ever wore rouge or dressed up in a fancy way, and reminds me in that way of Vigée Le Brun. MA liked simplicity in women, she was surrounded by so much hypocrisy. After all it was MA that searched out Gabrielle. However it seems that it was quite important to be attractive to figure as her friend. MA remained an esthete.

One point however...I read somewhere (perhaps Bertière) that in the later stages MA took her distance somewhat from Gabrielle before being reconciled with her before the latter's flight abroad? Do you agree?

Mon Mar 19, 2007 9:47 am
Prince/Princesse
Prince/Princesse

Quote:
Who was the Armand that MA refers to in one of her letters to the exiled Gabrielle?

I believe that Armand is the son of Polignac....

Quote:
One point however...I read somewhere (perhaps Bertière) that in the later stages MA took her distance somewhat from Gabrielle before being reconciled with her before the latter's flight abroad? Do you agree?

Yes there is a period during which Marie-Antoinette did not go to the evenings organized by Polignac because she did not like certain people of these evenings….but it is only rumours, and I think that they remained friendly during this moment. :D

Quote:
Where is she buried and is it true that her tombstone reads "died of a broken heart"?

Yes it appears that she died of a broken heart….but it was may be of a kind of cancer…. :?

Mon Mar 19, 2007 9:55 am
Profile WWW
Prince/Princesse
Prince/Princesse

However I cannot understand how she could have been born in 1787 if she was the granddaughter of Gabrielle?

Aglaé de Polignac, Guichette, was born in 1766. She was married very young, and had her first at 13, as far as I remember.

Mon Mar 19, 2007 9:56 am
Prince/Princesse
Prince/Princesse

Is it this painting?

According to the site this painting is called "1784 “Marie-Gabrielle de Gramont, Duchesse de Caderousse"

Then this is Aglae, Gabrielle's daugter?

Mon Mar 19, 2007 12:04 pm
Prince/Princesse
Prince/Princesse

I don't know Therese...I found this painting in this site :

http://members.aol.com/SteinCS/

This woman was called Marie-Gabrielle de Gramont, but I don't know if the Gabrielle's daugter was Duchesse de Caderousse :?
And indeed she looks like Yolande: the brown hair, the forms, the eyes, the mouth and the chin :D

Mon Mar 19, 2007 12:14 pm
Profile WWW
Prince/Princesse
Prince/Princesse

From the readings that I have done, I hesitate about who Gabrielle was to M.A., and how it changed through their relationship. I have read that the Polignac set came to have more political influence on the King than M.A. did herself.

Mon Mar 19, 2007 3:16 pm
Reply to topic   [ 107 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next