Marie Antoinette Online
  • FORUM
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sun Nov 19, 2017 4:50 am

Reply to topic  [ 6 posts ] 
 Madame Campan 
Marquis/Marquise
Marquis/Marquise

Post Madame Campan
Where was Marie's lady-in-waiting during the French Revolution? I heard she got separated from the queen but where did she go? Did she ever meet the duchess ever again or see Lamballe's death etc? :?:

Tue Jan 02, 2007 7:43 pm
Prince/Princesse
Prince/Princesse

I believe (I am not sure at 100%) that Campan was separated from Marie-Antoinette after October 6, 1789 when the royal family went to the Tuileries. Campan however continued to see Marie-Antoinette several times, to bring clothing or accessories to her and to give her news of the events. She had thus remained in Paris.
But I do not remember any more if she remained in Paris during all the revolution. I think that she learned Lamballe 's death by means of the newspapers, but she was not to be on the place at the time of the Princess's massacre.
Polignac left the France on July 17, 1789... Campan should not have seen her again...

Tue Jan 02, 2007 8:05 pm
Profile WWW
Comte/Comtesse
Comte/Comtesse

I know that after several years she opened a school for young Ladies... Josephine Beauharnais' daughter, Orténse, attended to this school together with one of Napoleon's sisters (Caroline if I well remember). At the end of XVIII century the French aristocracy was in exile or had been overwhelmed by the revolution... and the girls making part of the new emerging classes were incredibly ignorant!! So Mme Campan gave them the education they needed. :wink: That's why she had some problems after the restoration, as she was accused to support the revolution :? :?

Tue Jan 02, 2007 8:14 pm
Profile WWW
Prince/Princesse
Prince/Princesse

I checked in her memories, and indeed Campan went to live in Paris on October 6, 1789. She remained in Paris until about 1793 : she escaped massacres and she underwent excavations of her apartments by the revolutionists .
But she seems that she lived in the countryside between 1793 and 1795 :D

Tue Jan 02, 2007 9:05 pm
Profile WWW
Comte/Comtesse
Comte/Comtesse

But she seems that she lived in the countryside between 1793 and 1795 :D

For a noblewoman it was surely better at that time to escape from cities and live unobserved in the country... :?

Tue Jan 02, 2007 10:04 pm
Profile WWW
Marquis/Marquise
Marquis/Marquise

For those who are interested, here's a link to a wonderful anecdote from Campan's biography of Antoinette. It's the "Garden Parties at Midnight" section; some fool (one of Artois' body-guards) finds the opportunity to "solicit" the queen. It begins about a quarter of the way down the page with "The summer of 1778".

http://books.google.com/books?vid=OCLC04687957&id=dLsNAAAAIAAJ&pg=RA4-PA131&as_brr=1#PRA4-PA131,M1

Wed Jan 03, 2007 7:40 am
Reply to topic   [ 6 posts ]