Marie Antoinette Online Forum
http://forum.marie-antoinette.org/

Madame Du Barry's Apology
http://forum.marie-antoinette.org/viewtopic.php?f=12&t=514
Page 10 of 11

Author:  Therese [ Thu Aug 14, 2008 11:55 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: Madame Du Barry's Apology

Hellou_Librorum wrote:
Perhaps that didn't being away from poorer people didn't help Antoinette in the long run, because it kept her isolated.


Actually, Antoinette had some interesting encounters with poor people, and behaved quite admirably towards them,as mentioned here:

http://teaattrianon.blogspot.com/2008/0 ... -hunt.html

Author:  Hellou_Librorum [ Fri Aug 15, 2008 12:22 am ]
Post subject:  Re: Madame Du Barry's Apology

One would think that being isolated from poorer people would make her act in a more unpleasant way. However Marie Antoinette was kind, it wasn't in her nature to treat anyone poorly.

Author:  Therese [ Fri Aug 15, 2008 12:24 am ]
Post subject:  Re: Madame Du Barry's Apology

Hellou_Librorum wrote:
One would think that being isolated from poorer people would make her act in a more unpleasant way. However Marie Antoinette was kind, it wasn't in her nature to treat anyone poorly.


Yes, especially how she staunched the old peasant's wound with her own hand.

Author:  Comte de Provence [ Fri Aug 15, 2008 12:54 am ]
Post subject:  Re: Madame Du Barry's Apology

Therese wrote:
Hellou_Librorum wrote:
One would think that being isolated from poorer people would make her act in a more unpleasant way. However Marie Antoinette was kind, it wasn't in her nature to treat anyone poorly.


Yes, especially how she staunched the old peasant's wound with her own hand.

She was very kind.

Speaking of Du Barry, I had heard that while in Exile from court, she lived at Louvciennes, and helped the poor out around the town?
But, they still killed her :/

Author:  dreamoutloud [ Fri Aug 15, 2008 1:28 am ]
Post subject:  Re: Madame Du Barry's Apology

Funny you should mention this, I did a whole bunch of research on du Barry's trial a few months ago. You are correct. She did move to Louveciennes and she did do some charity work for the town. She certainly was not universally despised, at any rate.

Author:  Hellou_Librorum [ Fri Aug 15, 2008 1:41 am ]
Post subject:  Re: Madame Du Barry's Apology

I suppose she wasn't well loved enough to have been spared though. :/

Author:  Therese [ Fri Aug 15, 2008 2:03 am ]
Post subject:  Re: Madame Du Barry's Apology

By the time Madame du Barry was guillotined, everyone even vaguely associated with royalty was being killed.

Author:  Délicate fleur [ Fri Aug 15, 2008 2:08 am ]
Post subject:  Re: Madame Du Barry's Apology

Très vrai!

Author:  Hellou_Librorum [ Fri Aug 15, 2008 10:21 am ]
Post subject:  Re: Madame Du Barry's Apology

Yes that is all too true. :(

Author:  dreamoutloud [ Fri Aug 15, 2008 5:15 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: Madame Du Barry's Apology

She was a particularly strong symbol of everything people hated about the monarchy though. Although the people who knew her in her town didn't mind her, overall she was despised in the French mind as a symbol of the decadence and corruption of the ancien régime. She was definitely more important than any random noble.

She does seem to have been kind of an odd case, though. It was actually an Englishman, George Greive, who was in France, who was the person tracking her down and doing his best to get her arrested. He certainly seemed to have some sort of personal issue/obsession with her.

Author:  Therese [ Fri Aug 15, 2008 5:37 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: Madame Du Barry's Apology

dreamoutloud wrote:
She was a particularly strong symbol of everything people hated about the monarchy though. Although the people who knew her in her town didn't mind her, overall she was despised in the French mind as a symbol of the decadence and corruption of the ancien régime. She was definitely more important than any random noble.

She does seem to have been kind of an odd case, though. It was actually an Englishman, George Greive, who was in France, who was the person tracking her down and doing his best to get her arrested. He certainly seemed to have some sort of personal issue/obsession with her.


Fascinating!

Author:  Comte de Provence [ Sat Aug 16, 2008 5:59 am ]
Post subject:  Re: Madame Du Barry's Apology

Therese wrote:
dreamoutloud wrote:
She was a particularly strong symbol of everything people hated about the monarchy though. Although the people who knew her in her town didn't mind her, overall she was despised in the French mind as a symbol of the decadence and corruption of the ancien régime. She was definitely more important than any random noble.

She does seem to have been kind of an odd case, though. It was actually an Englishman, George Greive, who was in France, who was the person tracking her down and doing his best to get her arrested. He certainly seemed to have some sort of personal issue/obsession with her.


Fascinating!

Indeed it is.
I wish we had more books on her.

Author:  Hellou_Librorum [ Sat Aug 16, 2008 12:34 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: Madame Du Barry's Apology

[quote="dreamoutloud"]She was a particularly strong symbol of everything people hated about the monarchy though. Although the people who knew her in her town didn't mind her, overall she was despised in the French mind as a symbol of the decadence and corruption of the ancien régime. She was definitely more important than any random noble.

I believe that is precisely why she got executed. :(

Author:  dreamoutloud [ Sat Aug 16, 2008 7:52 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: Madame Du Barry's Apology

Hellou_Librorum wrote:
dreamoutloud wrote:
She was a particularly strong symbol of everything people hated about the monarchy though. Although the people who knew her in her town didn't mind her, overall she was despised in the French mind as a symbol of the decadence and corruption of the ancien régime. She was definitely more important than any random noble.

I believe that is precisely why she got executed. :(


That is precisely why she was executed, plus some other stuff. Obviously you can't execute someone for being the mistress of a former king. She was charged with counter-revolutionary conspiracy and sheltering and sending money to émigrés. In fact, she was in contact with some émigrés to England and I think she sent them money too. While I seriously doubt she was involved in any real counter-revolutionary plots, sending money and keeping in contact with aristocrats that had fled the country was a really bad idea. So while she may have actually done some of the stuff she was charged with (without, I believe, any particular counter-revolutionary motive, but she still did it), and which she was technically executed for, everyone knew that the real reason was that she was the mistress of Louis XV and generally despised in the mind of the French people.

Author:  Comte de Provence [ Tue Aug 19, 2008 2:24 am ]
Post subject:  Re: Madame Du Barry's Apology

Can you recommend any books on her Dreamoutloud?

Page 10 of 11 All times are UTC
Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group
http://www.phpbb.com/