Marie Antoinette Online
  • FORUM
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Nov 23, 2017 6:46 pm

Reply to topic  [ 156 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 11  Next
 Madame Du Barry's Apology 
Prince/Princesse
Prince/Princesse

Heh she looks rather older to me and the face is different :). What did she do in her later years , between leaving the convent and her execution?

Mon Mar 05, 2007 11:46 am
Prince/Princesse
Prince/Princesse

Good question...I just know that she supported the royal family and that she tried to help them (I believe)… but I do not know how she occupied its days :?

Mon Mar 05, 2007 7:34 pm
Profile WWW
Royalty
Royalty

I have read that she gave brilliant balls in Louveciennes... but I don't know what were her other occupations.

Mon Mar 05, 2007 7:44 pm
Prince/Princesse
Prince/Princesse

I am curious about her now too...did she ever have any other Signficant others after Louis XV?

Tue Mar 06, 2007 4:29 am
Prince/Princesse
Prince/Princesse

I personaly deslike du Barry, not for her "low birth" as most of aristocracy, but because she used Louis XV to climb socialy and I don't think it's rigth...For instance, I like Madame Pompadour, because she was an inteligent women, in love with the King...

Wed Mar 07, 2007 5:00 pm
Prince/Princesse
Prince/Princesse

May be Jules de Polignac, but I think too that Du Barry really loved Louis XV....sge accompanied him until the end, even with the contagious disease of Louis XV… she are was courageous… thus I do not think that she remained with him just for interest :D

Wed Mar 07, 2007 6:02 pm
Profile WWW
Prince/Princesse
Prince/Princesse

Yeah, she stayed with him right until she was sent away, tending him and risking smallpox - which if it hadn't killed her would probably have robbed her of her beauty which was really her only asset - even when she knew that he was dying and hence couldn't protect her anymore. I believe that she loved him. I think too that she was probably a good natured and forgiving individual. She could easily have resented the Queen and worked against her after her exile but she apparently did not.

Fri Mar 09, 2007 2:14 pm
Prince/Princesse
Prince/Princesse

Sun Mar 11, 2007 8:33 am
Prince/Princesse
Prince/Princesse

Possibly it was an innate reverence for royalty or an innate desire to be pleasing - I don't know. It cost her her head in the end. She really should have fled the country and lain low.

Wed Mar 14, 2007 11:36 am
Marquis/Marquise
Marquis/Marquise

Post I don't think Pompadour was better
thanks everyone for all the fascinating stuff.. I keep learning a lot on this forum.
from what I understand, Du Barry's "memoires" are suspect, it's not clear they're authentic. As to her past, I don't think Pompadour was less than a social climber - she always thought she would be mistress to the king, even before meeting him, and set out to entrap it - is that not social climbing? I agree that Du Barry showed more devotion to the king by staying with him during the last illness.
I think too she was kind, clever, well educated, and VERY sweet tempered. liked shiny stuff, though. much nicer than the aristocratic ladies who also want to get into the king's bed - and that's just as much using him.
After the king she had another lover - the Duc de Brissac, if I remember correctly - who was murdered by a mob during the revolution, and people afterwards threw his head onto her pavillion in Louvecienne.

Wed Mar 14, 2007 11:57 pm
Profile YIM
Prince/Princesse
Prince/Princesse

More of a good close friend than a lover, I think, at least according to Vigée Le Brun.

Thu Mar 15, 2007 10:53 am
Marquis/Marquise
Marquis/Marquise

Post Du Barry and Brissac
:-) Should this be the next "were they lovers" controversy?

Thu Mar 15, 2007 5:39 pm
Profile YIM
Prince/Princesse
Prince/Princesse

Dorit, I agree with you about Pompadour. She was not only a social climber, she was bad for France. Madame Adelaide was right about her.

Sadly for Antoinette, La Pompadour had arranged the marriage, but died before it could be actualized. Antoinette arrived in France just as the Choiseul /Pompadour party which had brought her there was going out of power. Madame du Barry's intial antagonism towards Marie-Antoinette had more to do with her association with La Pompadour than with anything personal. Otherwise, Madame du Barry was conservative and Catholic, unlike the La Pompadour. The little chapel at Petit Trianon had been made for her, I believe.

Thu Mar 15, 2007 6:00 pm
Prince/Princesse
Prince/Princesse

Digressing slightly did anyone see the Doctor Who episode which revolved around Madame Du Pompadour? I loved that :).

I have just read Antonia Fraser's account of Antoinette's relationship with the Du Barry in the early days of her marriage. It corresponds generally with what I had read before except for mentioning one or two other incidents of them being in close proximity that I had not heard.

So did they meet in person in after life then?

Sat Mar 17, 2007 9:12 pm
Marquis/Marquise
Marquis/Marquise

[quote="Moose"]Digressing slightly did anyone see the Doctor Who episode which revolved around Madame Du Pompadour? I loved that :).[quote]

yes i did! it was wonderful (partly because of the lovely scottish actor david tennant! :wink: :lol: )

i always thought du barry was a huge enemy of MA's but reading this thread has (again!) re-educated me. i did think the recent MA film portrayed her badly, black hair and bright coloured clothes. this goes against all the beautiful portraits of her.

politically was du barry not against MA? i'm sure i read in queen of fashion that she campaigned against the austrian influence of the queen etc.

:?:

Mon Mar 26, 2007 4:13 pm
Reply to topic   [ 156 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 11  Next