Marie Antoinette Online
  • FORUM
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Mon Nov 20, 2017 12:28 am

Reply to topic  [ 156 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 11  Next
 Madame Du Barry's Apology 
Marquis/Marquise
Marquis/Marquise

Post Du Barry v. Antoinette
Du barry was supported by Richelieu & friends, who were against the Austrian alliance. she herself, from my understanding, did not have strong political views and her influence was usually personal (mostly pardoning people, from what I understand). By all accounts she was an unusually sweet and kind person, who wanted to be ok with everyone. I have no doubt she would be sympathetic to MA, the little girl from abroad. the evidence is that after the argument she tried to make overtures. you can think it's because of political reasons, but she actually helped her enemy Choisel after his disgrace, so I think it was probably at least partly sincere. she just did not like arguing and conflict. with anyone.

Mon Mar 26, 2007 6:38 pm
Profile YIM
Marquis/Marquise
Marquis/Marquise

Post Du Barry in movies
she was also depicted very nastily in the 1938 Marie Antoinette. guess Holywood has to have a "baddy", and she is the closest they can get in the pre ascension years.

Mon Mar 26, 2007 6:39 pm
Profile YIM
Marquis/Marquise
Marquis/Marquise

another victim of hollywood then? i WISH they wouldn't pervert history just to sell a good 'story'.
:roll:
the truth is ALWAYS far more interesting! :wink:

Mon Mar 26, 2007 9:49 pm
Comte/Comtesse
Comte/Comtesse

Du Barry was beautiful but I don't believe she genuinely loved the king.

Wed Mar 28, 2007 6:46 pm
Prince/Princesse
Prince/Princesse

I think that she loved really Louis XV….she was with him until hir death, even when he had the "petite vérole" in 1774 however so contagious… a beautiful proof of love! :D
And Louis XV was a very beautiful man… “the most beautiful man of the kingdom” !
And during the revolution she wanted to help Louis XVI, who had however exiled her :wink:

Last edited by Louis-Charles on Wed Mar 28, 2007 6:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Wed Mar 28, 2007 6:51 pm
Profile WWW
Marquis/Marquise
Marquis/Marquise

Post love?
does it matter if she did? she gave him everything he wanted from her. there's also the question of what you mean by love. romantic love? affection for a man who loved her and treated her well? admiration of subject to king?

Wed Mar 28, 2007 6:51 pm
Profile YIM
Marquis/Marquise
Marquis/Marquise

Post kindness
I get the impression, again and again, that Du Barry was a very large hearted person and was willing to be good to anyone. remember, she even interferred to help Choisel, who tried to get rid of her to put his own sister in the king's bed and wrote terrible lampoons about her.
This makes it hard to tell whether her selfless actions and sweet gestures came from love or just from kindness.

Wed Mar 28, 2007 6:53 pm
Profile YIM
Comte/Comtesse
Comte/Comtesse

In the newest movie Du Barry leaves as soon as he gets small pox.
The King asks for her but she was already gone, so he cries.
I thought she left him after he got sick.

Wed Mar 28, 2007 7:01 pm
Prince/Princesse
Prince/Princesse

The Coppola's film is not a reference in historical truth… :? .
But when Du Barry left Versailles, Louis XV was already very sick, and Du Barry was with him in his bedside… she was could have caught the disease… :?
And to leave Versailles was very hard for her, she waited until it is Louis XV who asks her to leave so that he can confess himself...she did not leave with her own decision :wink:

Wed Mar 28, 2007 7:06 pm
Profile WWW
Comte/Comtesse
Comte/Comtesse

The Coppola's film is not a reference in historical truth… :? .
But when Du Barry left Versailles, Louis XV was already very sick, and Du Barry was with him in his bedside… she was could have caught the disease… :?
And to leave Versailles was very hard for her, she waited until it is Louis XV who asks her to leave so that he can confess himself...she did not leave with her own decision :wink:

I didn't know...
Thank you!
You learn something new every day.

Wed Mar 28, 2007 7:10 pm
Prince/Princesse
Prince/Princesse

Indeed we learn much things here!

Wed Mar 28, 2007 7:12 pm
Profile WWW
Marquis/Marquise
Marquis/Marquise

Post Confessing
According to the rules of the church, before his death, to confess and receive the final sacrament, the king had to renounce all his sins and repent sincerely. this included sending his mistress away, renouncing her. Du Barry stayed until the king decided to send her.

Wed Mar 28, 2007 7:17 pm
Profile YIM
Comte/Comtesse
Comte/Comtesse

Post Re: Confessing
doritmi wrote:
According to the rules of the church, before his death, to confess and receive the final sacrament, the king had to renounce all his sins and repent sincerely. this included sending his mistress away, renouncing her. Du Barry stayed until the king decided to send her.

That's what I was thinking.

Wed Mar 28, 2007 7:20 pm
Prince/Princesse
Prince/Princesse

He sure clung onto her for as long as he could though ;). I guess he must have realised by the end that there was no hope whatsoever of recovery and so she had to go. Wonder what would have happened if he HAD made a miraculous recovery? My guess is that he would simply have recalled her :roll:

Thu Mar 29, 2007 3:04 pm
Prince/Princesse
Prince/Princesse

This scene in the movie when Louis XV sends for Mme du Barry and is answered that she is gone already, and then falls into despair is one of the few ones that moved me. Poor man... he was so in love with Mme du Barry, and had to part from her and could not see her again before he dies. How cruel !

Thu Mar 29, 2007 3:12 pm
Reply to topic   [ 156 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 11  Next