Marie Antoinette Online
  • FORUM
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Fri Nov 24, 2017 11:19 am

Reply to topic  [ 156 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ... 11  Next
 Madame Du Barry's Apology 
Prince/Princesse
Prince/Princesse

It is a shame :(. Though I suppose his despair might also have been due to the fact that knowing that she had gone meant that there was no hope whatsoever for his own life. He wasn't that old when he died was he? In his sixties which, although life expectancy was shorter at the time, wasn't all that old for someone who had lead the sort of luxurious lifestyle that he had.

Thu Mar 29, 2007 3:19 pm
Prince/Princesse
Prince/Princesse

Quote:
My guess is that he would simply have recalled her

No, I believe that they can not ever recall the mistress even if they recover.

Thu Mar 29, 2007 3:21 pm
Prince/Princesse
Prince/Princesse

He once officially got rid of la Pompadour... for calling her back later. He would do the same with la Barry, I guess !

Thu Mar 29, 2007 3:23 pm
Marquis/Marquise
Marquis/Marquise

I think so, Moose.

This scene in the movie when Louis XV sends for Mme du Barry and is answered that she is gone already, and then falls into despair is one of the few ones that moved me. Poor man... he was so in love with Mme du Barry, and had to part from her and could not see her again before he dies. How cruel !

i agree, this was so sad. :cry:

Thu Mar 29, 2007 3:23 pm
Marquis/Marquise
Marquis/Marquise

Post call back?
Once before when the king thought he was close to death as a young man he sent away his mistress and repented and then brought her back after he got well again. (ironically, she died of an illness shortly after being reinstated). But would he have done that as an old, weakening man of 64? we'll never know.

I read the story that he asked after her in few biographies - they said that after he told her to leave, she left, tears in her eyes. later he either forgot or thought she was still around and asked for her again, and was very sad to hear she already left.

Thu Mar 29, 2007 6:16 pm
Profile YIM
Prince/Princesse
Prince/Princesse

Yes, but Louis XV beautifully accepted this sad parting as a penance for the public scandal he had given and he died kissing the crucifix sent to him by Madame Louise. He died in the faith in which he had been raised. I admire Madame du Barry for leaving so gracefully even though it was painful for her. It was a Bourbon tradition that one went before God alone.

Sat Mar 31, 2007 6:04 pm
Prince/Princesse
Prince/Princesse

Indeed Therese....Du Barry was worthy until the end, and also at the time of her departure to Louvecienne in 1774… She did what Louis XV asked her to do, without protesting… splendid :D

Sat Mar 31, 2007 6:08 pm
Profile WWW
Marquis/Marquise
Marquis/Marquise

i'm curious though, why has she such a bad reputation? is it a case of rumour and hollywood taking over again? :?

Sat Mar 31, 2007 6:09 pm
Prince/Princesse
Prince/Princesse

Indeed Therese....Du Barry was worthy until the end, and also at the time of her departure to Louvecienne in 1774… She did what Louis XV asked her to do, without protesting… splendid :D

Yes, she showed real class.

Sat Mar 31, 2007 6:12 pm
Prince/Princesse
Prince/Princesse

She had bad reputation because she was old "street girl".
She was not noble, but she had access in Versailles thanks to her statute of mistress of the King, and this irritated many people. And for the catholics and the members of the family of Louis XV, she corrupted him morally, and also politically… :D

Sat Mar 31, 2007 6:13 pm
Profile WWW
Prince/Princesse
Prince/Princesse

She had bad reputation because she was old "street girl".
She was not noble, but she had access in Versailles thanks to her statute of mistress of the King, and this irritated many people. And for the catholics and the members of the family of Louis XV, she corrupted him morally, and also politically… :D

I don't think they thought she corrupted him politically. Politically, La Barry was on the same side as the royal family, very traditional monarchist, anti-Choiseul. But the Mesdames thought she was a putain and they would have thought that of anyone who shared their father's bed.

Sat Mar 31, 2007 6:19 pm
Prince/Princesse
Prince/Princesse

Indeed Therese, it is especially the moral corruption which generated the bad reputation of Du Barry. But by “policy”, I precisely thought of this war between the clan Aiguillon-Du Barry/Choiseul… people of the Choiseul clan saw in Du Barry an enemy policy, and spread rumours about her :D

Sat Mar 31, 2007 6:24 pm
Profile WWW
Prince/Princesse
Prince/Princesse

Indeed Therese, it is especially the moral corruption which generated the bad reputation of Du Barry. But by “policy”, I precisely thought of this war between the clan Aiguillon-Du Barry/Choiseul… people of the Choiseul clan saw in Du Barry an enemy policy, and spread rumours about her :D

Oh yes, I see what you mean!

Sat Mar 31, 2007 6:31 pm
Marquis/Marquise
Marquis/Marquise

Sat Mar 31, 2007 6:39 pm
Prince/Princesse
Prince/Princesse

I don't get it .. who would be able to stop him if he decided to recall her .. assuming he had recovered? His priest and confessor would have complained but ultimately he was the King .. he could have recalled her and I don't see how anyone could have prevented that.

Wed Apr 04, 2007 10:03 pm
Reply to topic   [ 156 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ... 11  Next