Marie Antoinette Online
  • FORUM
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Tue Nov 21, 2017 7:33 pm

Reply to topic  [ 156 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9 ... 11  Next
 Madame Du Barry's Apology 
Prince/Princesse
Prince/Princesse

It is known that Louis XV used condoms with his mistresses. Madame Pompadour had a daughter by her husband and she wanted to have one by the king, but she actually was frigid and did not like sex. I don't know about La Barry.

Fri Apr 13, 2007 7:00 pm
Prince/Princesse
Prince/Princesse

What were condoms made of at the time? I am a bit hazy about their history but surely they would not have been rubber?

Sat Apr 14, 2007 1:49 pm
Prince/Princesse
Prince/Princesse

What were condoms made of at the time? I am a bit hazy about their history but surely they would not have been rubber?

They had them around and free-living people like Louis XV used them with their courtesans but that is all I know about it, dear.

Sat Apr 14, 2007 8:54 pm
Prince/Princesse
Prince/Princesse

I bestirred myself and went to wiki which has this to say:

(love the idea of a tortoiseshell condom!!).

Quote:
In 16th century Italy, Gabriele Falloppio authored the first-known published description of condom use for disease prevention. He recommended soaking cloth sheaths in a chemical solution and allowing them to dry prior to use.[71]

The oldest condoms found (rather than just pictures or descriptions) are from 1640, discovered in Dudley Castle in England. They were made of animal intestine, and it is believed they were used for STD prevention.[63]

In 19th century Japan, both leather condoms and condoms made of tortoise shells or horns were available.[71]

The rubber vulcanization process was patented by Charles Goodyear in 1844, and the first rubber condom was produced in 1855.[72] These early rubber condoms were 1-2mm thick and had seams down the sides.[71] Although they were reusable, these early rubber condoms were also expensive.

Distribution of condoms in the United States was limited by passage of the Comstock Act in 1873. This law prohibited transport through the postal service of any instructional material or devices intended to prevent pregnancy. Condoms were available by prescription, although legally they were only supposed to be prescribed to prevent disease rather than pregnancy.[63] The Comstock Act remained in force until it was largely overturned by the U.S. Supreme Court in 1936.

In 1912, a German named Julius Fromm developed a new manufacturing technique for condoms: dipping glass molds into the raw rubber solution. This enabled the production of thinner condoms with no seams. Fromm's Act was the first branded line of condoms, and Fromms is still a popular line of condoms in Germany today.[72] By the 1930s, the manufacturing process had improved to produce single-use condoms almost as thin and inexpensive as those currently available.[71]

Condoms were not made available to U.S. soldiers in World War I, and a significant number of returning soldiers carried sexually transmitted infections. During World War II, however, condoms were heavily promoted to soldiers, with one film exhorting "Don't forget — put it on before you put it in."[63] In part because condoms were readily available, soldiers found a number of non-sexual uses for the devices, many of which continue to be utilized to this day.

Sun Apr 15, 2007 11:11 am
Marquis/Marquise
Marquis/Marquise

It seems to me that Louis XVI did not mind Du Barry . I actually heard that they would talk during the hunting suppers which Louis XV attended as well and they got on quite well. Then his aunts told him of her past and he was so shocked he stopped talking to her altogether , although later had nothing against her.I think that the only reason he exiled her is because people around him , namely Marie Antoinette hated her and wanted her gone. Am i wrong?

i like her though , she seems like a sweetie :)

Mon Jun 04, 2007 2:34 am
Noble
Noble

I really don't know very much about the relationship between Marie Antoinette and Madame du Barry, I just know they just didn't get along, but I don't know what happen later really.

Mon Jun 04, 2007 5:12 pm
Profile WWW
Prince/Princesse
Prince/Princesse

I am rather touched that she apparently didn't blame Antoinette for the problems which later befell her in life and which led to the unfortunate separation of her head from her body :shock:

Sat Jun 23, 2007 4:30 pm
Noble
Noble

why did MA hate Du Barry in the beginning? was it her status and wut she did (Mistress?)?

Sun Aug 19, 2007 3:07 pm
Prince/Princesse
Prince/Princesse

Because Du Barry was a former prostitute, and mistress of a King it was rejected by the religion. Marie-Antoinette also saw in her a rival in Versailles. :D
But the aunts of her husband largely increased this… :?

Sun Aug 19, 2007 3:31 pm
Profile WWW
Noble
Noble

Post Re: Madame Du Barry's Apology
Here is artist and historian George Stuart's interpretation of Du Barry - (takes a little time to load)

http://www.galleryhistoricalfigures.com ... ntsDuBarry

Enjoy!

Sat Jan 12, 2008 4:01 am
Profile WWW
Royalty
Royalty

Moose: As awkward as this may be to bring up, The Eyptians actually introduced the condom, not the Romans, through the research I've found.Not just through the 16th century. The quiz is actually interesting.

Sun Jan 20, 2008 11:45 pm
Royalty
Royalty

I personally feel rather sorry for du Barry beause it was MA who shunned her when she first came to Versailles (although it is true that MA should never have been in the company of a woman such as her) and du Barry had not done anything to her previously. Still though, she did not need to retaliate in such a vicious manner as she did. She was probably just insecure and knew that without the king she was nothing.

Mon Jan 21, 2008 3:10 am
Profile WWW
Royalty
Royalty

Sadly if you were and you did not have relations with a man i.e. husband or father you were nothing. :(

Sat Apr 12, 2008 9:22 pm
Prince/Princesse
Prince/Princesse

I too feel so sorry for her, it seems like she wouldve lived in a trance of sorts, like wandering through her tiny apartments at night. It seems like she wouldve been very alone at certain times.

Fri Apr 18, 2008 5:46 pm
Profile WWW
Royalty
Royalty

What a miserable existence!

Sat Apr 19, 2008 2:17 am
Reply to topic   [ 156 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9 ... 11  Next