Marie Antoinette Online
  • FORUM
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Fri Nov 24, 2017 1:05 pm

Reply to topic  [ 13 posts ] 
 Polignac and Lamballe influence 

How much did the friendship with Polignac and Lamballe influence Marie Antoinette?
100% 35%  35%  [ 6 ]
50% 47%  47%  [ 8 ]
20% 18%  18%  [ 3 ]
Total votes : 17

Duc/Duchesse
Duc/Duchesse

Post Polignac and Lamballe influence
Say your opinion!!

Wed Feb 15, 2006 1:07 pm
Prince/Princesse
Prince/Princesse

Hi, CrY ! In my view, Marie-Antoinette was an inluencable person, and relied much on her friends. That's what I mean when I choose 100%. You could had Fersen, you could add Vermond or Mercy, her sister Caroline.
Friendship and love were so important for her !

Now, I won't say these influences were nefast ! Louise de Lamballe gave quiet to this new arrived dauphine who was so sad and so nervous. Gabrielle de Polignac also calmed her down, and helped her in raising her children. I believe these were two wonderful friendships, and that those two women's reputations were damaged by posterity.

Especially for Madame de Polignac. Both were accused of having obtained many advantages from the queen's affection. People now seem to forgive Madame de Lamballe... they cry on her awful slaughter.

On the contrary, Duchess de Polignac concentrates the anger on her character. She is the bad adviser, she is Marie-Antoinette's devil !

Actually, they both died with the queen, for Gabrielle de Polignac only remained a few weeks after her friend. "Now I can leave", she said, having heard Marie-Antoinette was dead. She died on December 9th, 1793, from illness and sorrow.

It seems that, in the eyes of posterity, slaughters may redeem, not sorrow...

Thu Feb 16, 2006 9:04 am
Prince/Princesse
Prince/Princesse

Post friends
Oh, I voted 20%. MA enjoyed her friends and loved them, but she could detach herself from them when she had to do so, even when it broke her heart. Her family came first.

Sat Mar 25, 2006 6:26 pm
Duc/Duchesse
Duc/Duchesse

I think that the two nobleswomen Lamballe and Polignac influenced the 50% the carachter of the Queen; I know also that there are so many factors which determined his carachter in Versailles. I can say that the two womans, above all the Polignac, profitied by the Queen but it is also real that the carachter of the Queen was very kind and disponible above all in financiaries matters!!!!Maybe to be new friends, maybe because she was alone.. but I don't know if you know how many money Marie Antoinette gave to them!!
We must also criticize the marie antoinette's character besides that of the court of Versailles! she is charming for this!
bye

Sun Apr 02, 2006 3:56 pm
Prince/Princesse
Prince/Princesse

Yes, I do not think we can be too hard on the queen for forming strong attachments to sympathetic friends, whom she saw as being honorable and virtuous, in the midst of a hostile court.

Sun Apr 02, 2006 5:03 pm
Prince/Princesse
Prince/Princesse

but I don't know if you know how many money Marie Antoinette gave to them!!

Actually, Louis XVI was very happy with this friendship between his wife and duchess de Polignac, and he personnally appreciated Gabrielle too. During the revolution, he wrote letters to her.

The king made donations to the Polignac family, without the queen having to ask. They were friends of the king too.

With regards to Madame de Lamballe, she was a member of the royal family. They even tried to keep her in the temple saying that. Alas, we know what finally happened...

I think that those who wanted to destroy the sovereigns used these friendships to spread out calomnies, and that they exagerated the queen's influence.

On the other hand, Mercy also emphatized on these two ladies' favour, for he thought they were dangerous, counter-balancing his and Vermond's influence on the Austrian archduchess.

Sun Apr 02, 2006 8:55 pm
Prince/Princesse
Prince/Princesse

On the other hand, Mercy also emphatized on these two ladies' favour, for he thought they were dangerous, counter-balancing his and Vermond's influence on the Austrian archduchess.[/quote]

That is true. Remember how Mercy told Maria Theresa that Antoinette's friends were wild young people and the Empress rebuked her daughter. MA told her mother that actually most of her friends were older than herself. Olivier Bernier, who edited the letters of Antoinette in a book called "Secrets of Marie Antoinette" accused her of lying to her mother about her friends, but she was not lying. Most of her close friends, including Lamballe and Gabrielle, were several years older. The wildest friend was no doubt her brother-in-law Artois, who was indeed younger, but being her brother-in-law he was hard to avoid. And he was a good dancer.....

Sun Apr 02, 2006 9:08 pm
Prince/Princesse
Prince/Princesse

I fully agree with you, Therese... this amazed me several times, that her friends were older than she was...

Sun Apr 02, 2006 9:11 pm
Prince/Princesse
Prince/Princesse

Perhaps being one of the youngest of a large family made her more comfortable with friends who were the same ages as her older sisters.

Sun Apr 02, 2006 10:18 pm
Prince/Princesse
Prince/Princesse

Sun Apr 02, 2006 10:32 pm
Prince/Princesse
Prince/Princesse

Post Re: friends
Therese wrote:
Oh, I voted 20%. MA enjoyed her friends and loved them, but she could detach herself from them when she had to do so, even when it broke her heart. Her family came first.

I agree

Mon Apr 03, 2006 2:45 am
Prince/Princesse
Prince/Princesse

Post Re: friends
I voted 100%...Friends always influence friends! I'm not saying that Lamballe and Polignac influenced the Queen in a bad way! They were her best friends, it's normal! (but it should be a 70% :P because for the other side, Marie Antoinette was a Queen, and she couldn't only relay and be adviced by her friends!)

Mon Jun 26, 2006 2:53 pm
Marquis/Marquise
Marquis/Marquise

I agree with you Jules, friends do always influence friends! :)

Mon Jun 26, 2006 3:36 pm
Reply to topic   [ 13 posts ]