Marie Antoinette Online
  • FORUM
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Dec 14, 2017 6:44 pm

Reply to topic  [ 55 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Marquise de Pompadour... 
Duc/Duchesse
Duc/Duchesse

Post Marquise de Pompadour...
I am interested to learn more about this royal mistress, any information would be appreciated. :D

Last edited by Louis XVI on Fri Jan 26, 2007 11:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Fri Jan 26, 2007 10:17 pm
Prince/Princesse
Prince/Princesse

You speak about the Marquise de Pompadour?
But she never met Marie-Antoinette, she died in 1764 :shock:

Do you want to speak about Madame Du Barry?

I believe that the first person who has called Marie-Antoinette "l'Autrichienne", is an LouisXVI's aunt, Adélaïde :wink:

Fri Jan 26, 2007 10:33 pm
Profile WWW
Duc/Duchesse
Duc/Duchesse

Oh, Louis-Charles, how crazy I am! :shock: :shock: :shock:

I confused Pompadour with the royal aunt! :oops: I do want to discuss Pomapdour, not Du Barry!

Fri Jan 26, 2007 11:30 pm
Prince/Princesse
Prince/Princesse

I do not know much things about Pompadour… she had much evil to be integrated and to be accepted by the Louis XV's family . She mixed like each King's mistress with some businesses in policy what did not please to certain people… But she also contributed to the diffusion of new ideas and Art! Louis XV was very enthusiast about her!

Sat Jan 27, 2007 9:58 am
Profile WWW
Comte/Comtesse
Comte/Comtesse

Her real name was Jeanne-Antoinette Poisson, she was born in 1721, her mother was Louise-Madeleine de la Motte and her father was François Poisson. In 1727 her father was exiled because of misappropriation of public money. She received her education in a convent, like the most part of the young ladies in XVIII century. In 1741 she married Charles Guillaume le Normand D'Etiolles, and after few months she became mother for the first time. In 1744 she also had a daughter, Alexandrine, who died when she was 10. One year later, she took part to a ball organised for the wedding of the Dauphin, and she met the king for the first time. For the king was the classic "coup de foudre": after just 3 months he bought the marquisate of Pompadour. In septembre she was presented in Versailles and she became officially the Marquise of Pompadour. She had the ability to maintain the title of "Maitresse du Roi" even if in 1750 she stopped to be the king's mistress: Louis XV just considered her like a friend and confidante.
The Marquise was a woman of great culture: she protected artists, like Boucher, and she promoted the French handicrafts (in this period the Franch worker in ebony realised the most beautiful examples of pieces of forniture). She also contributed to the transformation of rocaille style into neoclassical style. At the end of her life began the building of Trianon (so we can say that there is a link between her and Marie Antoinette!!), but in 1764 she died suddenly. Madame the Pompadour was the only person who died in Versailles palace, even if she made not part of the Royal Family.

Sat Jan 27, 2007 12:54 pm
Profile WWW
Duc/Duchesse
Duc/Duchesse

Thank you for all this information Vittoria! :D I did know about her being a patroness of the arts, I believe she had much influence over the Sevres porcelain manufacture.

But Louis-Charles mentioned that she had much 'evil' to be integrated into the royal family. What do you mean by this? Was she conniving? :?

Sat Jan 27, 2007 2:51 pm
Comte/Comtesse
Comte/Comtesse

Uhm... I think that the royal family never accepted that Louis XV had mistresses. Madame the Pompadour was not the first one, as in the previous years the King had the five sisters of Mailly as official mistresses (of course not all together... :lol: :lol: :lol: ). So I believe that the sons and daughters of Louis XV were bored by this situation, also because of the political influence of these women. I've read that Madame Pompadour's nickname among the royal family was "maman putain"... :shock: :shock: :shock: (sorry for the bad word... :oops: :oops: but it's history! :lol: )

Sat Jan 27, 2007 3:03 pm
Profile WWW
Comte/Comtesse
Comte/Comtesse

http://www.madamedepompadour.com/

It's a good italian website with French and English version... there are also many portraits 8)

Sat Jan 27, 2007 3:06 pm
Profile WWW
Prince/Princesse
Prince/Princesse

The children of Louis XV and certain ministers did not accept the presence of pompadour in Versailles, for morals reasons (a Christian King with a mistress is a problem), but also because Pompadour was not noble and that she was interfered policy.
Pompadour was especially hated by the 1st dauphin (the son of Louis XV and the father of Louis XVI) and by Adélaïde and Victoire the girls of Louis XV.

Last edited by Louis-Charles on Sat Jan 27, 2007 3:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Sat Jan 27, 2007 3:16 pm
Profile WWW
Duc/Duchesse
Duc/Duchesse

Grazie per questo luogo bello su Pompadour, Vittoria! :D

Yes, I understand about the Pompadour's conflicts with the royal family. I've always wondered how Louis XV got away with having so many obvious affairs/mistresses. I've read that since he lost his mother at a young age, he was searching for womanly love. (However this is a bit too much like Zweig psychoanalyzing isn't it? :roll: :lol: )

Sat Jan 27, 2007 3:32 pm
Royalty
Royalty

If you want, I have a lot of information about the relationships between Mesdames Aunts and Pompadour. But I don't know if I can post this here, because Pompadour didn't knew Marie-Antoinette...

Sun Jan 28, 2007 2:45 pm
Duc/Duchesse
Duc/Duchesse

Do you know, I think it would be alright if you did. I (mistakenly :oops: ) started this post, thinking that the Marquise knew about M.A., but really she only knew about the Austrian alliance, which she was against! Please, share your knowlegde! :D

Tue Jan 30, 2007 2:07 pm
Prince/Princesse
Prince/Princesse

Didn't Madame de Pompadour use to play cards with Marie Leszczyńska?

Thu Feb 01, 2007 8:54 am
Royalty
Royalty

De la Motte, did you say? Wouldn't that mean that she was related to the man who would marry Jeanne and would then devise the Affair of the Necklace?

Sun Apr 01, 2007 3:41 pm
Profile WWW
Prince/Princesse
Prince/Princesse

What do you mean Monsieur Andre? Who spoke about de la Motte? :D

Sun Apr 01, 2007 4:57 pm
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 55 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next