Marie Antoinette Online
  • FORUM
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Tue Nov 21, 2017 2:43 am

Reply to topic  [ 37 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next
 What actually happened to the young Dauphin? 
Duc/Duchesse
Duc/Duchesse

Post What actually happened to the young Dauphin?
I have heard of such ghastly things that I can hardly believe them. What actually happened to the young Dauphin at the hands of the Revolutionaries? A British friend of mine told me that when they found him dead in prison, he was curled up in a fetal position. What happened to this child and who is to blame?

"...little did I dream that I should have lived to see such disasters fallen upon her...I thought ten thousand swords must have leaped from their scabbards to avenge even a look that threatened her with insult."
Edmund Burke, (1790)

Last edited by Ray on Thu Aug 21, 2008 4:18 am, edited 1 time in total.

Sat Aug 09, 2008 7:01 am
Prince/Princesse
Prince/Princesse

Post Re: What actually happened to the young Dauphin?
He died at the age of ten in prison of, I believe, consumption. Poor child... There's a book about what happened to him,"The Lost King of France". It's by Deborah Cadbury.

Sat Aug 16, 2008 3:05 pm
Prince/Princesse
Prince/Princesse

He was malested. and tortured. he died very young and i didnt think they found the body. all they found was his heart.

Mon Aug 18, 2008 6:59 pm
Comte/Comtesse
Comte/Comtesse

He died in prison. He was tortured and underfed by the guards. He had no chamber pot and had to use the floor. His cell smelled like a latrine. He had very little fresh air and was not allowed outside. Being kept out of the sunlight for so long caused him to have rickets, and eventually his legs began to bow. The last time anyone from the outside saw him, he was said to be shorter than he went in. He was denied medical help, which actually may have been a good thing, considering what medical science did for its patients at the time. At the end, a more benevolent government gained power, and he was taken out of his cell to a parapet for fresh air and sunshine. By that time, he could not walk and had to be carried, and it was far too late to help him. A doctor was called in, and reported that he could not speak and was curled in a fetal position. If anyone approached him, he flinched.

His death probably was attributed to consumption, but keep in mind that at that time any lung disease was called consumption. It is unlikely to have been tuberculosis, although it's possible. It's more likely that he had pneumonia. The cell was dark, damp, and cold, and he had insufficient clothing. Such a tragic end for a little boy who was intelligent, charming, outgoing, and who would have made a great king who would have easily adapted to constitutional monarchy.

The doctor who performed his autopsy took his heart out and put it in a jar of alcohol. Over the next 200 years, it was passed from hand to hand through palaces to churches and libraries. In 2004, it was placed in the royal crypt in St. Denis. DNA testing was done on the heart, comparing it to DNA taken from a lock of Marie Antoinette's hair. The DNA testing positively identified the heart as belonging to the son of Marie Antoinette.

This information about the heart comes from Marie Therese: Child of Terror by Susan Nagle, 2008.

Sun Aug 24, 2008 4:11 am
Prince/Princesse
Prince/Princesse

i didnt know that about his legs, poor boy!

Sun Aug 24, 2008 6:04 am
Marquis/Marquise
Marquis/Marquise

OMG that's horrific. The poor child, what he must have suffered. I find it so hard to read about the treatment he received from those vile people.

From the Declaration of Arbroath (Scottish Declaration of Independence), 1320.

Sun Aug 24, 2008 8:13 am
Prince/Princesse
Prince/Princesse

DreamersRose wrote:
He died in prison. He was tortured and underfed by the guards. He had no chamber pot and had to use the floor. His cell smelled like a latrine. He had very little fresh air and was not allowed outside. Being kept out of the sunlight for so long caused him to have rickets, and eventually his legs began to bow. The last time anyone from the outside saw him, he was said to be shorter than he went in. He was denied medical help, which actually may have been a good thing, considering what medical science did for its patients at the time. At the end, a more benevolent government gained power, and he was taken out of his cell to a parapet for fresh air and sunshine. By that time, he could not walk and had to be carried, and it was far too late to help him. A doctor was called in, and reported that he could not speak and was curled in a fetal position. If anyone approached him, he flinched.

His death probably was attributed to consumption, but keep in mind that at that time any lung disease was called consumption. It is unlikely to have been tuberculosis, although it's possible. It's more likely that he had pneumonia. The cell was dark, damp, and cold, and he had insufficient clothing. Such a tragic end for a little boy who was intelligent, charming, outgoing, and who would have made a great king who would have easily adapted to constitutional monarchy.

The doctor who performed his autopsy took his heart out and put it in a jar of alcohol. Over the next 200 years, it was passed from hand to hand through palaces to churches and libraries. In 2004, it was placed in the royal crypt in St. Denis. DNA testing was done on the heart, comparing it to DNA taken from a lock of Marie Antoinette's hair. The DNA testing positively identified the heart as belonging to the son of Marie Antoinette.

This information about the heart comes from Marie Therese: Child of Terror by Susan Nagle, 2008.

ok so we all know about the heart thing but where did his body go? Unmarked grave? I read once that the gaurds malseted the poor boys dead body, is that true?

Sun Aug 24, 2008 1:23 pm
Duc/Duchesse
Duc/Duchesse

That honestly seems a little extreme to me. No doubt he was horribly mistreated in life, but I feel that's the sort of thing that generally crosses the line into vengeful fictions.

Sun Aug 24, 2008 4:52 pm
Prince/Princesse
Prince/Princesse

i dont know....he was the "king" after all!

Sun Aug 24, 2008 8:50 pm
Duc/Duchesse
Duc/Duchesse

Which therefore means that his prison guards were into necrophilia? Seems to me that the most important thing would be to get him buried asap without a fuss.

Sun Aug 24, 2008 11:34 pm
Prince/Princesse
Prince/Princesse

I still wonder where the body went!

Sun Aug 24, 2008 11:53 pm
Comte/Comtesse
Comte/Comtesse

I don't know what "malseted" means, unless you mean "molested." I don't think he was molested, certainly not after he died.

After the doctor removed the heart, no one seems to know what happened to the body of the child. A lot of victims of the guillotine were thrown in a mass grave; I believe the church of the Madelaine now stands on the location. The little boy could have easily been thrown in that or a similar site.

In any case, the record is silent on what happened to his body. Only his heart is in St. Denis.

Mon Aug 25, 2008 1:08 am
Prince/Princesse
Prince/Princesse

yes, i ment molested! Anyway, I still think there is more to the story then we think....

Mon Aug 25, 2008 1:54 am
Duc/Duchesse
Duc/Duchesse

Oh My...

I have a British friend who has read a lot about the Revolution and she told me that the Dauphin had been molested, of course when he was alive. The insane and uncontrollable hatred that the revolutionaries felt for the privileged at that time and the fact that the Dauphin was entirely unprotected would have allowed them, in my opinion, to do almost anything to him in order to exact their revenge. One can imagine that, being raised as he had been, he might have initially displayed some haughty attitude to the revolutionaries, thus enflaming their cruel and sadistic hatred even further. Who knows how long it took before he stopped screaming back at them and was finally broken? Truly, the French should hang their collective heads in shame... Monstrous was the fury of the people and this should be a lesson to us all just what is possible in a 'Mob Mentality Gone Mad'. Thanks for contributing.

Ray

"...little did I dream that I should have lived to see such disasters fallen upon her...I thought ten thousand swords must have leaped from their scabbards to avenge even a look that threatened her with insult."
Edmund Burke, (1790)

Sat Aug 30, 2008 1:39 am
Marquis/Marquise
Marquis/Marquise

I think another thing to remember when a person is raped, molested, or any form of sexual abuse, it's not about sexual gratification. It's about power. In this particular case, I would not be at all surprised if he was a victim of such going ons. As for after his death, it really wouldn't surprise me either way. I think if it did happen postmortem that doesn't necessarily mean that the offenders were necrophiliacs. More likely they felt they're necrophiliac actions were further desecrating the body of the king and everything that stood for. Unfortunately, like I said before, I wouldn't be surprised. Utterly disgusted,(just thinking about what he probably went through on a day to day basis makes me ill) but not surprised.
I very much hope that dreamoutloud is correct in that it's just vengeful fiction.

It never ceases to amaze me that the monarchy was said to have been these horrible people who must be stopped, but then to see the actions of the rebells as if they were any better. I just don't understand why this particular revolution was so ghastly. It's not as if there has ever been a peaceful one, but his one just seems so savage.

Tue Sep 16, 2008 10:37 pm
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 37 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next