Marie Antoinette Online
  • FORUM
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Nov 23, 2017 11:21 am

Reply to topic  [ 6 posts ] 
 Letters From Her Mother 
Noble
Noble

Post Letters From Her Mother
Are there many letters to Antoinette from her mother left intact? I've seen a photo of at least two, but is that all that's left now? And where are the letters exactly? Is the Schonbrun Palace a museum now or is it still in use?

Thu Jul 30, 2009 7:48 pm
Prince/Princesse
Prince/Princesse

Post Re: Letters From Her Mother
If you buy the correspondence of Marie Antoinette, there are dozens of them, all authenticated. Not sure that this correspondence exists in English? Mine is by Evelyn Lever.

Sat Aug 01, 2009 4:42 pm
Royalty
Royalty

I recently was shocked and surprised to read that a part of the Schonbrun Palace has been converted into upscale condos!
Don't anyone "quote" me on this, but I did read this on the internet. Not any main part of the palace, I think it said old service areas and servants quarters were the areas supposedly converted. Don't know if this is true, but what a shame if it is. Condos everywhere!! Yuk!

Sat Aug 01, 2009 10:51 pm
Hi,

I've just joined and I've just finished reading a new book of English translations of Marie Antoinette's secret letters to and from her mother - don't know if that is what you're talking about or if you are wondering where to see the actual letters.

The letters are great because they tell you so much about what happened to Marie Antoinette at the French court. It's like the film and there's lots of bits I recognised from the film, like the bit where Marie Antoinette is reading a letter from her mother and gets upset because her mum is rowing her and telling her to be nice to Louis so that he will make her pregnant, and she slips to the floor and cries because Louis has no interest in that. Well that whole letter is there and all the other letters scolding her, and reading them all really lets you understand what was happening at that time. Marie Antoinette's replies are in the book too.

I think it must all have been pretty awful for Marie Antoinette. These letters show just how much nearly everyone seemed to hate her right from the beginning - no wonder she threw herself into partying.

I've just joined because I've just finished reading these letters and I had to tell people who are as fascinated by Marie Antoinette as me. I don't think there is a book of translated letters which is as big as this one, 400 pages and I haven't seen anyone else talking about this book.

Anyway the new book is by Macleod and it's Marie Antoinette's Secret Letters (well there's a longer title than that, something about There were three of us in the relationship and Marie Antoinette's
secret letters ) You can get it on Amazon.

If you like reading about Marie Antoinette then you will like this. I like it and I really want to hear what other people think about the book. Let me know

Wed Aug 05, 2009 2:27 pm
Royalty
Royalty

Olivier Bernier's "Secrets of Marie Antoinette - A Collection of Letters" was published in English over 20 years ago. It consists of translated letters from 1770-1780 between Marie Antoinette and Maria Theresa.

There is no explanation of where these letters came from and it seems as though some of them are incomplete.
Plus, I don't think this guy likes Marie Antoinette very much.

Does anyone know where these actual letters are?

Wed Sep 02, 2009 2:56 am
Royalty
Royalty

They are in the Archives Nationales, aren't they? Maybe some of these documents are in Wien... You know, I would also like to know where are the necklace affair's documents settled... How great would be to see them! I guess they are secluded, that's too bad!

Wed Sep 02, 2009 9:03 pm
Reply to topic   [ 6 posts ]