Marie Antoinette Online
  • FORUM
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Tue Sep 02, 2014 6:40 am

Reply to topic  [ 14 posts ] 
 Marie Antoinette's Siblings 
Marquis/Marquise
Marquis/Marquise

Post Marie Antoinette's Siblings
Maria Theresa, Empress of the Holy Roman Empire, gave a whole new meaning to the word 'fertile'. Maria Antonia had a whole gaggle of brothers and sisters to play with as she grew up in Vienna.

Here they are:

Maria Elisabeth Amelia Antonia Josepha Gabriella Johanna Agatha (1737-1740)
Maria Anna Antonia Johanna Josepha (1738-1789)
Maria Karolina Ernestina Antonia Johanna Josepha (1740-1741)
Josef Benoit August Johan Anton Michael Adam (1741-1790) - later Holy Roman Emperor
Maria Christina Josepha Johanna Antonia (1742-1798)
Maria Elisabeth Josepha Johanna Antonia (1743-1808)
Karl Josef Emmanuel Johan Nepomuk Anton Prokop (1745-1761)
Maria Amalia Josepha Johanna Antonia (1746-1802)
Peter Leopold Josef (1747-1792) - also became Holy Roman Emperor
Maria Karolina (born and died 1748)
Maria Johanna Gabriella Josepha Antonia (1750-1762) (according to the second site below, this sister did not have the first name "Maria")
Maria Josepha Gabriella Johanna Antonia Ana (1751-1767)
Maria Karolina Luisa Josefa Johanna Antonia (1752-1825)
Ferdinand (of Austria-Este) (1754-1806)
Maria Antonia Josepha Johanna (1755-1793) - Marie Antoinette
Maximilian Franz Xaver Josef Johan Anton de Paul Wenceslaus (1756-1801

Wed May 05, 2010 1:24 pm
Royalty
Royalty

Post Re: Marie Antoinette's Siblings
Thanks for posting this list - seeing all the birthdates together like this really gives a better sense of all the years that Maria Theresa spent pregnant! I cannot imagine being consistently pregnant like she was.

Fri May 07, 2010 5:13 pm
Marquis/Marquise
Marquis/Marquise

You're welcome, Lilly. I'm glad you found the post worthwhile. What surprised me about it was Maria Theresa's ability to maintain a basically heathy constitution despite the repeated assaults to her body by pregnancy. And to think that the most common, popular 'treatment' was bleeding, and fresh air and water for bathing were thought to transmit disease, the Empress' general heath and that of her offspring is truly remarkable.

Mon May 10, 2010 12:55 pm
i can't believe these list because the detail list shown total pregnancy nothing else.

Mon Jun 14, 2010 10:08 am
Royalty
Royalty

What is it that you don't believe??

Mon Jun 14, 2010 7:01 pm
Royalty
Royalty

This user looks like a spammer - see the advertisement in his signature?

Wed Jun 16, 2010 12:24 pm
Royalty
Royalty

Thanks for the heads up Fleur ... I shall delete the signature for now ... the comments are odd but vaguely on topic so I will leave them for the time being!

Thu Jun 17, 2010 1:20 am
Profile ICQ YIM WWW
Noble
Noble

Wow. Not only did every archduchess have the same forename, they also had similar names after that. Could Maria Theresa not come up with other names instead of reusing the same ones over again? It's no wonder each child had a nickname!

Wed Jul 21, 2010 11:15 pm
Marquis/Marquise
Marquis/Marquise

The name 'Mary' is Latin in origin; some of it's derivations are Marie, Maria, Miriam and Mariah. It was used by the vast majority of Catholic royalty for female children in honor of Mary, the mother of Jesus. I can't help but feel that Maria Theresa took some pride in the fact that her name would be spread all over Europe by eleven (11) Hapsburg princesses.

Thu Aug 12, 2010 11:51 am
Prince/Princesse
Prince/Princesse

Health issues aside, bear in mind this woman was ruling a country the whole time she was having all these children. Ruling it very attentively. AND keeping close tabs on the older kids.

Talk about having it all....

There's nothing unusual even today about giving children the same first name as a homage to some member of the Holy Family. I'm guessing it's done with some idea of putting the child under that person's protection, though I haven't verified it. Several of my own French half-siblings, for instance, share a first name.

I've also seen less known names reused among siblings, possibly including one of my own ancestors (though we're still trying to confirm that).

Sat Aug 14, 2010 7:54 pm
Prince/Princesse
Prince/Princesse

jimcheval wrote:
There's nothing unusual even today about giving children the same first name as a homage to some member of the Holy Family. I'm guessing it's done with some idea of putting the child under that person's protection, though I haven't verified it.

Well yes, partly because of that and partly for the intention to "honour", or to "remember" the Virgin Mary or a beloved Saint. I don't know siblings who share first-names, but it's quite common,when you have more than one name, that the second or last one (not the main one) is the name of a Saint, or Mary's. For example I have three names (though I commonly use the first one only) and my third name is Maria.

Wed Sep 01, 2010 4:01 pm
Noble
Noble

People back then seemed to reuse names a lot (e.g. Mary, Catherine, Elisabeth, Marie). I would of gotten so confused. :?

Thu Sep 02, 2010 3:54 am
Prince/Princesse
Prince/Princesse

Well, traditionally people tended to give their children names that were recurrent in their families. Of course this is especially true of royal or noble families (and I don't think it has changed much even today), but I think it was a common practice among common people too. In my family, for example, names tend to recur. I guess it's a way of remembering past people and keeping up a tradition.

Thu Sep 02, 2010 9:26 pm
Royalty
Royalty

Rosalie wrote:
jimcheval wrote:
There's nothing unusual even today about giving children the same first name as a homage to some member of the Holy Family. I'm guessing it's done with some idea of putting the child under that person's protection, though I haven't verified it.

Well yes, partly because of that and partly for the intention to "honour", or to "remember" the Virgin Mary or a beloved Saint. I don't know siblings who share first-names, but it's quite common,when you have more than one name, that the second or last one (not the main one) is the name of a Saint, or Mary's. For example I have three names (though I commonly use the first one only) and my third name is Maria.

Yes this is also common in Australia amongst Catholic families - both my mother and her sister for example have the second name Mary.

Fri Sep 03, 2010 1:56 am
Profile ICQ YIM WWW
Reply to topic   [ 14 posts ]