Marie Antoinette Online
  • FORUM
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sun Nov 19, 2017 8:26 am

Reply to topic  [ 37 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
 Marie Antoinette's children 

Did Marie Antoinette had a favorite son?
Yes. It was Marie-Thérèse-Charlotte 4%  4%  [ 1 ]
Yes. It was Louis-Joseph-Xavier-François 8%  8%  [ 2 ]
Yes. It was Louis-Charles 29%  29%  [ 7 ]
Yes. It was Sophie-Beatrix 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
No. She loved everyone 58%  58%  [ 14 ]
Total votes : 24

Marie Antoinette's children 
Comte/Comtesse
Comte/Comtesse

I'll never understand why they did what they did to the little Dauphin. While the royal family was kept in the Tuileries, though Antoinette was mocked and demeaned, even those who hated the King and Queen were charmed by Louis Charles.

Heir to the throne or not, how could anyone feel so threatened by a little boy? When I think of the monsters who imprisoned him and condemned him to a lonely death, I wish I believed in hell. :evil:

<hugs>

Tue Jun 27, 2006 11:20 pm
Profile WWW
Prince/Princesse
Prince/Princesse

Well, since I do believe in hell (and not wishing it on anyone) it makes perfect sense to me that people who commit atrocities on children, back then as they sadly do now, would end up there. The viciousness with which they treated that beautiful, affectionate little boy makes me think not only of hell, but of diabolic possession. There are/were sick and wicked individuals who you do not want to ever have charge of anyone vulnerable. The guards at the Nazi concentration camp are another example. And all the horrors perpetrated on children in the Vendee, which no one ever even hears about. I think Revolutions and wars bring out the worst in some people and the best in others.

But there was no purpose other than sadism in treating Louis-Charles the way they did.

Tue Jun 27, 2006 11:41 pm
Duc/Duchesse
Duc/Duchesse

I totally agree with you Therese. I haven`t been able to even attempt to read this months book club title because I just couldn`t bring myself to do it.

I am the mother of a large family ( 2 sons and 6 daughters ) everything I ever read or learn of MA causes me to assume she felt about her children as I do about mine .... I don`t think she would have had a favourite and I believe she loved each one with a passion to rival my own for my family :D .......... that is just my opinion ........ and it is somewhat flawed I know being based just on my ~ feelings ~ as always !!!!!!!!!!!

Vivienne

Wed Jun 28, 2006 8:03 am
Prince/Princesse
Prince/Princesse

Yes, I agree, Vivienne, she was a woman whose children were her life, as she said in her last letter to Madame Elisabeth, "You know that I have lived only for them....."

Wed Jun 28, 2006 1:11 pm
Prince/Princesse
Prince/Princesse

Here is a link to an article by Austrian scholar Erich von Kuehnelt-Leddihn which originally appeared in the journal "Criticon." It was translated and reprinted in an American magazine which I don't much care for, but the article is still a valuable albeit disturbing treatment of the link between the writings of the Marquis de Sade (an advocate of the revolution), whom King Louis XVI had imprisoned for sex crimes against peasant women and children, and the brutality against innocents that occurred during the French revolution. It is a bit graphic and very upsetting but it shows a side of the revolution that mainstream history likes to forget.

http://www.culturewars.com/CultureWars/ ... icide.html

Wed Jun 28, 2006 2:30 pm
Duc/Duchesse
Duc/Duchesse

I usually find all of your links so useful Therese - I always follow them up -but I know my limits ........ I think I will have to give this one a miss.

I feel so gratified to know that Louis was involved with dealing with de Sade - good for him !!!!!!!!!!!!

Louis was well liked by children wasn`t he ? - he took time for them and played with them I understand .......... what a lovely man he was.

Vivienne

Thu Jun 29, 2006 8:23 am
Prince/Princesse
Prince/Princesse

Indeed, Vivienne, his daughter Marie-Therese Charlotte especially loved him. She was very close to her father... and maybe looked like him and was as secretive a child as he once was, I guess !

Thu Jun 29, 2006 9:35 am
Duc/Duchesse
Duc/Duchesse

All of the artwork depicting Louis saying farewell to his family is so very touching - in addition his simple parting from his devoted servant Clery was almost as painful as the parting from his family ........

He was a great man in so many ways.

Vivienne

Thu Jun 29, 2006 12:51 pm
Prince/Princesse
Prince/Princesse

That's ok, Vivienne. The article is not for everyone!

Yes, the king was a devoted father. He would tell them stories, work in the garden with them, bless them every night, and even help tend them when they were sick. Yes, I think he was a great man, much maligned and misunderstood.

Yes, Madame Royale resembled her father in many ways. But she had her mother's pride and dignity, as well as the graceful long neck, beautiful arms and hands and Habsburg jaw.

Thu Jun 29, 2006 1:15 pm
Duc/Duchesse
Duc/Duchesse

I have chosen the last chance because i think that a mother loves all their sons! But i must note that during the period of the imprisonment the queen was more careful on the dauphin than her daughter marie therèse. I have read it in the novel and biographies. I believe that this attitude was caudes by the continues thoughts about the royal family 's situation.
:wink:

Fri Jul 07, 2006 2:50 pm
Prince/Princesse
Prince/Princesse

Deborah Cadbury emphasizes how the queen was terrified that they were going to try to kill her son or take him away from her, so that she became very protective of him in prison, for good reason.

Fri Jul 07, 2006 2:52 pm
Prince/Princesse
Prince/Princesse

The boy was also much younger than his sister ! And Madame Elisabeth is reported to peculiarly take care of Mousseline, too.

Fri Jul 07, 2006 3:04 pm
Prince/Princesse
Prince/Princesse

Yes, Pim, he was only a little boy, and Madame Elisabeth spent time with Mousseline.

Fri Jul 07, 2006 3:10 pm
Duc/Duchesse
Duc/Duchesse

yes. it can be... i have only reported a thinking expressed in a book :wink:

Tue Jul 11, 2006 8:17 pm
Prince/Princesse
Prince/Princesse

A mother is a mother... She was a Queen, but she was a mother as well!!

In Wikipedia, Marie Antoinette is reported to said, to her baby Marie-Thérèse-Charlotte: «you are not what they wanted, but we will love none the less. A son would have belonged to the State; you shall be mine, and have all my care; you shall share in my happiness and soften my sorrows.»

The Dauphin made the ministers and all the french people happy, because finally Louis XVI had an heir!

Such a heartfelt quote

Wed Jul 19, 2006 8:22 pm
Reply to topic   [ 37 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next