Marie Antoinette Online
  • FORUM
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Fri Nov 24, 2017 6:50 pm

Reply to topic  [ 4 posts ] 
 Let's all find the nicknames of Marie Antoinette's family 
Peasant
Peasant

Post Let's all find the nicknames of Marie Antoinette's family
The names of the brothers and sisters of Marie Antoinette are so similar that I think that they used as fondness their nicknames.... I know of Marie Antoinettes as "Marietta" and also Marie Christines was "Mimi" so there are likely to have been one for each of her many brothers and sisters! Maybe we could all find more of them!

Tue Apr 17, 2012 9:09 pm
Prince/Princesse
Prince/Princesse

Post Re: Let's all find the nicknames of Marie Antoinette's family
I didn't know of these nicknames! It would be interesting to know your source.... :)

Wed Apr 18, 2012 7:36 am
Peasant
Peasant

My source for Marie Antoinette's nickname is very common knowledge. Because Marie Antoinette helped with the American Revolution, Marietta, Ohio (Found in history of Marietta, Ohio in many sources) is named for her
nickname. Although when she grew up, she was "Antonia". However, the usual source for Marie Christine "Mimi" is wikipedia (not my favorite source but she was a painter and in reading about Marie dressing up as Vesta and that Marie-Christine painted the family while her father was dressed in similiar turban fashion, I ran accross a different reference for her nickname "Mimi". The reason for the research was a head study of "Marie Antoinette in her turban reading" oil pastel I have seen. Also, by the way, the mansion used in France for helping the American cause in the revolution is Passy.
Chaumont gave it to be used as he also gave his fortune for the cause. Some of which was reimbursed and the rest was given in land in northwest New York where it is also common knowledge that the upper military of the Napoleonic armies lived. Count Chaumont who came over in the ship "Commerce" with Joseph Bonaparte (Count de Survilliers) sold him some of the land. Referenced in "Joseph Bonaparte coming to America by Georges Bertin.

Wed Apr 18, 2012 5:25 pm
Prince/Princesse
Prince/Princesse

Actually, nicknames were very fashionable at that time. Louis XV's daughters all had one respectively. Needless to say, they were ridiculous, but I do not remember them by heart now.

Yes "Mimi" is quite famous, I believe the Duchesse de Parme resorted to that nickname when writing those infamous impassioned letters to Marie-Christine, isn't that so ?

I have never heard of "Marietta" and I very much doubt it ever was MA's nickname.

Thu Apr 19, 2012 12:19 am
Reply to topic   [ 4 posts ]