Marie Antoinette Online
  • FORUM
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Wed Nov 22, 2017 1:59 am

Reply to topic  [ 59 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Mesdames Tantes 
Prince/Princesse
Prince/Princesse

She was very pretty when she was young! I like her portraits by Nattier :D

Fri Feb 23, 2007 4:39 pm
Profile WWW
Comte/Comtesse
Comte/Comtesse

Wow, thank you so much for the information and images, Victoire-Adélaïde! You truly are an expert in the field of the Royal Aunts!

Sat Feb 24, 2007 3:13 pm
Royalty
Royalty

They are my favorite people. But I also like Marie-Antoinette, her sisters, the countess of Polignac, the princess of Lamballe, the countess Du Barry, etc. :wink:

But I'm sorry, I don't speak English very well... :oops:

Sat Feb 24, 2007 6:13 pm
Royalty
Royalty

Indeed, Madame Sophie died on March 2nd 1782, at 1.30 a.m.).

The hour is related by Madame de Bombelles. Only Mesdames Adélaïde and Victoire sat up their sister Sophie, the rest of the royal family was in theatre, and Madame Louise was in her convent of Saint-Denis. Louise prayed enormously over Sophie.

Sat Feb 24, 2007 6:21 pm
Comte/Comtesse
Comte/Comtesse

They are my favorite people. But I also like Marie-Antoinette, her sisters, the countess of Polignac, the princess of Lamballe, the countess Du Barry, etc. :wink:

But I'm sorry, I don't speak English very well... :oops:

No need to apologise, your English is quite fine!

Sun Feb 25, 2007 4:15 pm
Royalty
Royalty

Madame Victoire at the abbey of Fontevraud, in 1747, by Nattier. She was 14 years old.

Madame Victoire as the goddess Hébé. Like for Sophie, it is a copy by the Nattier's studios from the picture of 1747. I think that this picture was painted in 1748.

Madame Victoire, allegory of the Water, 1750, by Nattier. The princess was 17.

Madame Victoire, by Drouais. I think that this picture was painted in 1763. Then Victoire was 30.

Mesdames Sophie, Victoire and Louise as muses, by Drouais. Victoire is at the center, with the score. Sophie holds her shoulder, on the left of the picture. Louise is on the right, with a lyre. Mesdames Aunts loved music and they were good musicians. This is why they were often represented with scores or musical instruments. Drouais painted this picture in the 1760's.

Madame Victoire playing harp, in 1773, by Aubry. The song on the score is the "Air de Julie". The bust represents Louis XV. Victoire was 40. A detail of Victoire, a detail of the bust, and a detail of the score.

A sculpture of Madame Victoire, by Houdon, 1777. The princess was 44. This is the only sculpture of her which is known today. Victoire thought that Louis XVI paid for this work of art, but her nephew hesitated! Houdon was paid in 1785!

Madame Victoire, by Anne Vallayer-Coster. I think that the date for this picture is 1780... This is the first painting of the princesse after her father's death, when she was an "Aunt".

Madame Victoire in 1786, by Heinsius. She was 53.

Madame Victoire in 1787, by Adélaïde Labille-Guiard. She was 54 years old.

Madame Victoire in 1788, by Labille-Guiard. The princess was represented in the grounds of her castle of Bellevue. Bellevue was next to Meudon, and Louis XV gave it to Madame de Pompadour. After her death, Louis XVI gave the castle to his aunts Adélaïde, Victoire and Sophie, in december 1775. Mesdames were very happy in Bellevue, where they were "chez elles"!

Madame Victoire in 1791, by Elisabeth Vigée-Lebrun. This is the only picture of Victoire when she was exiled in Italia. The princess met Vigée-Lebrun in Roma. This is also the last picture of Victoire that we know. Detail.

In this pictures, we see that Victoire was a good and kind princess. We also see that she loved music (she was a very good musician with harpsichord, and Duphly, Couperin and Mozart signed their scores for her).

All these paintings are exhibited in Versailles. The bust by Houdon is exhibited at the Louvre.

Mon Mar 05, 2007 3:57 pm
Prince/Princesse
Prince/Princesse

She doesn't look bad in those pictures - I thought she was supposed to be fat or something.. didn't her father call her 'pig'? Are there any pictures of Adelaide that we could see?

Mon Mar 05, 2007 7:08 pm
Royalty
Royalty

Victoire's nickname was "Coche", because she was considered as a fat princess, indeed. Her sisters liked eating, but she was the biggest. This is why Adélaïde and Victoire often went to take the waters in Vichy or Plombières.

I will create a gallery to be a credit to Adélaïde. But it is very long... :wink: After her, I would evoke Louise and the other sisters.

Mon Mar 05, 2007 7:21 pm
Prince/Princesse
Prince/Princesse

Thank you, dear V-A, for all that you are doing to help us learn about the Aunts! :)

Mon Mar 05, 2007 7:24 pm
Prince/Princesse
Prince/Princesse

She doesn't look that fat to me :). Clothilde, her niece, was apparently 'rounder than she was tall' but I can't believe that that is literally true.

Mon Mar 05, 2007 7:31 pm
Royalty
Royalty

I find Mesdames very pretty. But we only could see the painter's works...
Clotilde's nickname was "Gros-Madame" ("Big-Madame"), but in this time, some courtiers were very nasty. Clotilde was very virtuous, I can't think she was very big.

Last edited by Victoire-Adélaïde on Tue Jul 31, 2007 11:59 am, edited 1 time in total.

Mon Mar 05, 2007 7:42 pm
Prince/Princesse
Prince/Princesse

Mon Mar 05, 2007 7:49 pm
Prince/Princesse
Prince/Princesse

According to Fraser, Clotilde had a lot of humour and she was not anger when a person said a remark about her weight… :D

Mon Mar 05, 2007 7:59 pm
Profile WWW
Royalty
Royalty

Madame Adélaïde's gallery: First part (Before Louis XV's death)

Madame Adélaïde as the goddess Diana, in 1745, by Nattier. In 1742, Nattier had painted the princess Henriette as the goddess Flora. Louis XV and Marie Leszczynska found this picture very beautiful, and they asked Nattier for painting Adélaïde, the other sister who was still at Versailles. Adélaïde was like Diana, a beautiful, authoritarian and virgin woman. On this painting, she was 13.

Madame Adélaïde in 1749, by Nattier. This picture is the 4th part of the Mesdames' gallery by Nattier in 1748-1749. In 1748, the painter had painted Mesdames Victoire, Sophie and Louise at Fontevraud. The following year, he painted Adélaïde who stayed at Versailles. She was 17.

Madame Adélaïde with a fan, 1749, by Nattier. At the same year, Madame Elisabeth (Madame Infante), the only royal daughter who was married, came back to Versailles, to visit her family. She liked Henriette and Adélaïde, and this is why she asked Nattier for a painting of the second princess, when she came back to her husband. This picture was a souvenir. A copy was painted for Louis XV's bedroom at Versailles.

Madame Adélaïde in 1750, by Nattier. This picture is a study of the head of the royal princess.

Madame Adélaïde embodies the Air, 1750, by Nattier. In 1750, Louis XV asked Nattier for a series of painting of his daughters. The theme was: the naturals elements. Elisabeth symbolized the Earth, Henriette symbolized the Fire, Adélaïde symbolized the Air and Victoire the Water. Today, these pictures are in a museum of Sao Paulo...

An anonymous miniature from 1750. I haven't got more information about it.

Madame Adélaïde in a turkish dress, 1753, by Liotard. Liotard liked to paint his models in an exotic environment, because he loved the Orient. Liotard liked also austere scenes.

Madame Adélaïde making knots, 1756, by Nattier. In 1756, Adélaïde appealed to Nattier for this picture. Making knots was an important activity. The ladies gave their golden knots to making clothes for the poors.

Madame Adélaïde in 1756, by Nattier. It is a copy by the Nattier's studios from the pictures with the knots. We don't know where it is exibited.

Madame Adélaïde reading a score, 1758, by Nattier. Like for her sisters, Adélaïde was an excellent musician. She played violin very good. This is why we can see this instrument on the right of the picture, on the table.

A painting which probably represents Madame Adélaïde, by Valade. I haven't got more information too.

Last edited by Victoire-Adélaïde on Tue Mar 06, 2007 8:34 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Tue Mar 06, 2007 4:57 pm
Prince/Princesse
Prince/Princesse

Tue Mar 06, 2007 6:15 pm
Reply to topic   [ 59 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next