Marie Antoinette Online
  • FORUM
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Fri Nov 24, 2017 12:17 am

Reply to topic  [ 59 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
 Mesdames Tantes 
Prince/Princesse
Prince/Princesse

Nattier is a very good painter....I like these painting, thank you Victoire-Adélaïde :wink:

Tue Mar 06, 2007 6:17 pm
Profile WWW
Royalty
Royalty

Madame Adélaïde was very beautiful if we read the accounts of the courtiers. But, Madame Campan said that she became old very rapidly. Madame Victoire was considered less beautiful than Adélaïde, but she was pretty. Madame Sophie was pretty on the whole and she looked like her father, but her mouth was too flat. Madame Louise, on the other hand, was hunchbacked because of an accident, but "her face reflected a fine intelligence" said her mother. Madame Henriette was very refined and she look like her twin sister Elisabeth. We havn't got accounts about Mesdames Louise-Marie and Félicité, because they died too young.

Tue Mar 06, 2007 8:00 pm
Prince/Princesse
Prince/Princesse

Goodness I hadn't even realised that there were four others .. so he had EIGHT daughters? I bet he went 'doh!' each time he was told he had another one :D

Fri Mar 23, 2007 9:52 am
Royalty
Royalty

Louis XV had 2 boys: Louis-Ferdinand, the Dauphin (1729 - 1765), and Philippe duke of Anjou (1730 - 1733). After the death of Anjou, Louis XV et Marie Leszczynska wished an other boy, but the children were only girls: Victoire, Sophie, Félicité and Louise (and they were already Elisabeth, Henriette and Adélaïde before 1733). An other girl, Louise-Marie (1728 - 1733) died two month before the duke of Anjou.

Marie Leszczynska loved her daughters, but she was very sad, because she had only one boy. The court was indifferent to the girls.

Sun Mar 25, 2007 8:06 am
Prince/Princesse
Prince/Princesse

Speaking of Queen Marie Leszczynska, E.M. Vidal has a brief post about her on her blog.

Tue Mar 27, 2007 1:13 am
Prince/Princesse
Prince/Princesse

I suppose that at the time, a Queen who produced girl and boys at a ration of eight to one was rather looked down upon :(. Though ironically, isn't it the sperm that determines the sex and not the egg?

Tue Mar 27, 2007 4:23 pm
Prince/Princesse
Prince/Princesse

Exact Moose but in this time they did not know that :wink:

Tue Mar 27, 2007 4:41 pm
Profile WWW
Prince/Princesse
Prince/Princesse

heh well no, there's no way they could have had the faintest idea and I suppose that, even if they had, they would not have allowed it to become public knowledge :)

SOmeone should have told Henry VIII!

Wed Mar 28, 2007 5:41 pm
Duc/Duchesse
Duc/Duchesse

so many people died from smallpox......... :(

Wed Apr 04, 2007 10:09 pm
How did the two aunts survive the revolution?? Didnt they leave France with the royal family altogether as seen in the latest movie?? Also, I would like to know if today anyone has Marie Antoinette's blood in their veins, like her daugther's great great sons or whatever?? One last question, what happened to the king's two brothers and theirs wifes and sons once they left France?? Did they live in a luxurious exile somewhere until they died old?

Mon Jul 30, 2007 10:11 pm
Royalty
Royalty

How did the two aunts survive the revolution?? Didnt they leave France with the royal family altogether as seen in the latest movie?? Also, I would like to know if today anyone has Marie Antoinette's blood in their veins, like her daugther's great great sons or whatever?? One last question, what happened to the king's two brothers and theirs wifes and sons once they left France?? Did they live in a luxurious exile somewhere until they died old?

Adélaïde and Victoire left Versailles with the royal family, but they went to their castle of Bellevue, although the royal family went to the Tuileries. But, in 1791, the two aunts left France, because they were very pious, and the new laws in France were against the clergy. The went to Rome. They lived in a very poor exile in Italy.

The king's brothers and their wifes were in exile in Courland (the future Louis XVIII) or in Piedmont (the future Charles X), or in the rest of Europe. The comtesse of Artois died in 1805, the comtesse de Provence died in 1810, Louis XVIII died in 1824 and Charles X died in 1836.

There is nobody who have Marie-Antoinette's blood in his veins, because Madame Royale, the only child who survive to the Revolution, hadn't children.

Tue Jul 31, 2007 8:18 am
Thank you so much for your information. Please allow me to make a few more questions.

The two aunts left France because of religion alone?? I mean, werent they supposed to flee away with the king's brothers and all those of royal blood because they could be killed by the revolutionaries (as were the king and Marie Antoinette)??

And how could they live poorly?? The brothers and their wifes and sons, I understand, were well received abroad and lived in luxury, correct??

It's a shame that nobody has Marie Antoinette's blood today - what a strong woman. Just one last question: did anyone at all, from the French Royal Family I mean, have a happy end??

Tue Jul 31, 2007 5:11 pm
Prince/Princesse
Prince/Princesse

One could say that some of MA's genes live on in as far as she has relatives via the offspring of her numerous nieces and nephews from the Austrian side.

Wed Aug 01, 2007 9:54 am
Prince/Princesse
Prince/Princesse

Yes, she has plenty of Habsburg relatives still around.

Wed Aug 01, 2007 4:41 pm
Reply to topic   [ 59 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4