Marie Antoinette Online
  • FORUM
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Tue Nov 21, 2017 7:24 pm

Reply to topic  [ 47 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Zoé 
Marquis/Marquise
Marquis/Marquise

Post Re: Zoé
there ws certainly a girl whose name ma changed after adopting her as a companion to little marie-therese. i'm too lazy to walk across the room and get my book on madame royale but this book states that ma adopted a little girl about 6 mos older than madame royale. the adopted girl looked like both madame royale and louis xvi and was his daughter by a servant. according to this book he tried sex with the servant and then with polignac in order to see if the infertility problem was his. polignac had a son by him. i find this shocking never having read that he even looked at another woman. my book is a review copy and doesn't have an index so i can locate the source of this. anyone?

Mon May 19, 2008 12:26 am
Prince/Princesse
Prince/Princesse

So now Madame de Polignac was the mistress of Louis XVI ? :lol: This I had no heard already ! :lol: You would have difficulties to prove it when referring to the letters Louis XVI wrote to Madame de Polignac ! :lol:

Mon May 19, 2008 11:32 am
Prince/Princesse
Prince/Princesse

I have never heard of such a thing.

Mon May 19, 2008 1:01 pm
Prince/Princesse
Prince/Princesse

Kindly winsan2, i think you are mistaken. HAving never heard of Louis having a mistress, this is very hard for many if all of us to believe.

Mon May 19, 2008 9:10 pm
Profile WWW
Prince/Princesse
Prince/Princesse

Yes, I know there is that information in the new book about Madame Royale, but I dont know where it could come from...Louis XVI was famous for not having mistresses and when someone tried to propose him to take one he always replied indignantly. He was very concerned about establishing morality at court

Fri May 23, 2008 1:30 pm
Prince/Princesse
Prince/Princesse

this also backs up my statement.

Fri May 23, 2008 4:54 pm
Profile WWW
Marquis/Marquise
Marquis/Marquise

Voila! The book which reports the alleged assignations of Louis Auguste and a serving woman and Polignac is:Marie Therese, Child of Terror: The Fate of Marie Antoinette's Daughter by Susan Nagel. As I said earlier I was gob-smacked by this report having believed that L XVI had never looked at another woman. I also read elsewhere that these types of relationships were usual in the upper classes and acceptable as long as proprieties (18th c. style) were observed and no one was made to feel uncomfortable. The idea of comfort in a marriage back then was apparently considerably different from today's idea. Check out the Chapter "Sex and Politics".

Thu Sep 04, 2008 4:07 am
Prince/Princesse
Prince/Princesse

winsan2 wrote:
Voila! The book which reports the alleged assignations of Louis Auguste and a serving woman and Polignac is:Marie Therese, Child of Terror: The Fate of Marie Antoinette's Daughter by Susan Nagel. As I said earlier I was gob-smacked by this report having believed that L XVI had never looked at another woman. I also read elsewhere that these types of relationships were usual in the upper classes and acceptable as long as proprieties (18th c. style) were observed and no one was made to feel uncomfortable. The idea of comfort in a marriage back then was apparently considerably different from today's idea. Check out the Chapter "Sex and Politics".

I have the read the book and chapter and I must point out that even there the claim is made without giving solid substantiation. Every other bio of Louis XVI is quite clear about the fact that he was faithful to his wife.

Thu Sep 04, 2008 12:25 pm
Prince/Princesse
Prince/Princesse

I thought so too, but I feel that if Marie Antoinette and Axel were close friends, then he could give her an opnion as to why Louis behaved the way he did, and Madame de Polignac could do the same with Louis. Does that make sense?

But this is off topic.
Ernestine, Zoe, Armand, was Zoe raised at Versailles?

Fri Sep 05, 2008 3:56 am
Profile WWW
Prince/Princesse
Prince/Princesse

No, they did not adopt Zoe until they were at the Tuileries. She was the same age as the dauphin.

Fri Sep 05, 2008 12:34 pm
Prince/Princesse
Prince/Princesse

As Louis Charles? I asumme so because by the time they were in the Tuileries Louis Joseph was dead...

Mon Sep 08, 2008 10:56 pm
Profile WWW
Prince/Princesse
Prince/Princesse

Comte de Provence wrote:
Kindly winsan2, i think you are mistaken. HAving never heard of Louis having a mistress, this is very hard for many if all of us to believe.

accually i heard that since Louis was good friends with the Duchesse she would often comfort him, well apparently one she comforted him in privet and 9 months later........
but idk theres no proof

Mon Sep 08, 2008 11:04 pm
Prince/Princesse
Prince/Princesse

hmph. :[

Sun Sep 21, 2008 6:33 am
Profile WWW
Prince/Princesse
Prince/Princesse

Yeah, really who wants to think of one of their fav historical figures as unfaithful?

Mon Sep 22, 2008 8:54 pm
Marquis/Marquise
Marquis/Marquise

It doesn't change my opinion of Louis if it is true.......afterall, it was "the norm" at the time. At least (if it is true) he didn't flaunt his mistress at Court like his grandfather (Louis XV)!!! :king:

From the Declaration of Arbroath (Scottish Declaration of Independence), 1320.

Mon Sep 22, 2008 9:32 pm
Reply to topic   [ 47 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next