Marie Antoinette Online
  • FORUM
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Wed Nov 22, 2017 11:20 am

Reply to topic  [ 9 posts ] 
 Madame Elisabeth 
Marquis/Marquise
Marquis/Marquise

Post Madame Elisabeth
I think that Madame Elisabeth must have been wonderful woman. She showed a remarkable courage during her trial at the Revolutionary Tribunal. She was questioned for hours (along with 24 others). They were all condemned to die the very next morning. After the trial Madame Elisabeth was then taken back to her cell in la Conciergerie, but she asked permission to be taken to the larger cell, so that she could spend her last hours along with the other 24 convicted. Two eyewitnesses happened to be present that night, who were not condemned to die, and they remembered details of the last hours in the life of Madame Elisabeth. Being a firm believer in God, she seemed to regard the other 24 people as friends about to accompany her to heaven. She spoke to each of them in a calm and gently way – and it seemed that the people subdued their anguish by the serenity of her look. One lady – Madame de Montmorin – who had lost almost her entire family during the revolution, could not bare the thought of her 20-year-old son, who was with her, were condemned to die as well. ‘I’m willing to die’, she said sobbing, ‘but I cannot see him die’. ‘You love your son’, said Madame Elisabeth, ‘and yet you do not wish him to accompany you. You are going yourself to the joys of heaven and you want him to stay upon earth, were all is now torture and sorrow’. Those words made Madame de Montmorin calm. Tears were running down her cheeks, and she took her son in her arms, crying, ‘Yes, yes – we will go together’.

When they arrived at the Place de la Révolution they were all placed on benches, so they could sit and wait until it were their turn to climb the scaffold. Elisabeth was placed closest to the stairs that lead to the guillotine, but was executed as the last one. Each of the 24 people that passed her, stopped in front of her where they curtsied and bowed for her. To the last person that passed her and bowed to her in the deepest respect, she said: “Be courageous and believe in the mercy of God.” When her head fell the crowd was completely silent. No ‘Vive la République’ – only silence.
Marie Thèrése wrote these words about her aunt: “Marie-Philippine-Elisabeth-Hélène, sister of King Louis XVI, died on the 10th of May 1794, aged thirty years, having always been a model of virtues. At the age of fifteen she gave herself to God and thought only of salvation. From 1790, when I became in a state to appreciate her I never saw anything in her but religion, love of God, horror of sin, gentleness, piety, modesty and a great attachment to her family, for whom she sacrificed her life, being never willing to leave the king and queen. She was a princess worthy of the blood of which she came. I cannot say enough of the goodness that she showed to me, which ended only with her life. She considered me and cared for me as her daughter, and I, honoured her as a second mother and I vowed to her all those feelings. It was said that we resembled each other in face; I feel that I have her nature; would that I might have all her virtues and rejoin her some day, also my father and mother, in the bosom of God, where, I doubt not, they are now enjoying the reward of a death so meritorious.” When I think of the faith of both Marie Thérèse and Madame Elisabeth, it always brings tears to my eyes.

Tue Feb 20, 2007 11:52 am
Comte/Comtesse
Comte/Comtesse

Post Madame Elisabeth
Lamballe, :) This is a wonderful post on the sister of King Louis XVI. It is so often that those who are pure, virtuous, and good are barely recognized in history. When Louis became King and there were plans to arrange a marriage for Elisabeth she did not want to leave France but to stay with her brother and family. She was recorded to have said, "I would rather sit at the feet of my brothers throne then to ascend my own".

Sat Mar 03, 2007 6:06 pm
Profile YIM
Prince/Princesse
Prince/Princesse

We already have a thread about Madame Elisabeth started. Please check the topics before starting anew one.

http://www.marie-antoinette.org/forum/v ... .php?t=353

Sat Mar 03, 2007 6:24 pm
Prince/Princesse
Prince/Princesse

Sorry I tried to move this to the other thread already started and it ended up here.

Sat Mar 03, 2007 6:32 pm
Royalty
Royalty

No problem Therese ... I'll see what I can do to consolidate these threads!

Sat Mar 03, 2007 11:42 pm
Profile ICQ YIM WWW
Prince/Princesse
Prince/Princesse

Thanks, Adrienne. I wish I was more technical.

Sat Mar 03, 2007 11:51 pm
Duc/Duchesse
Duc/Duchesse

the story about the execution was most touching.....

Sat Mar 24, 2007 4:59 am
Prince/Princesse
Prince/Princesse

Here's E.M. Vidal's post on Mme Elisabeth in the Temple as recalled by Mme Royale:
http://teaattrianon.blogspot.com/2007/0 ... emple.html

Mon Jun 18, 2007 5:06 pm
Prince/Princesse
Prince/Princesse

Post Re: Madame Elisabeth
(To the last person that passed her and bowed to her in the deepest respect, she said: “Be courageous and believe in the mercy of God.” When her head fell the crowd was completely silent. No ‘Vive la République’ – only silence)

Thats so beautiful :cry:...thankyou for that wonderful story of such a brave woman.

Wed Jun 20, 2007 1:47 am
Reply to topic   [ 9 posts ]