Marie Antoinette Online
  • FORUM
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Wed Dec 13, 2017 1:22 am

Reply to topic  [ 81 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
 "Abundance" by Sena Jeter Naslu 
Prince/Princesse
Prince/Princesse

Excellent idea, Adrienne, to read the novel at the same time as the memoirs!!!

Tue Oct 31, 2006 3:35 am
Duc/Duchesse
Duc/Duchesse

Looking forward to your analysis, melly!

(Therese,
I hope brief is better than nothing, I can not finish it. )

I got to the hunting with the hounds and Comte d'Artois said, "Yonder rides your husband."......where something about the sight of her husband's "masterful" riding made Marie's heart beat ("Pitty-Pat" like horses hooves) ..........I just could not bring myself to read further.

You are brave, those who stuck it out and deserve a salute! (Melly bowing)

Fri Nov 03, 2006 2:21 am
Prince/Princesse
Prince/Princesse

Oh, melly, I am glad that I am not the only one! :) From the rave reviews on Amazon.com anyone would think this is the greatest book in the world! (I wrote a review of "Abundance" for Amazon but they would not post it, :lol:!! ) I guess the publishing houses (or somebody) decide which books people are going to read!!

Fri Nov 03, 2006 1:04 pm
Prince/Princesse
Prince/Princesse

There is an awful book published in French, by Gerald Messadie, full of terrible inaccuracies (Marie-Antoinette, Elisabeth and Mousseline were all led to the conciergerie ! :lol: Mousseline told her mother about Charles' accusation ! :lol: Madame Elisabeth remained in the conciergerie till her execution ! :lol: ). Believe me or not... all the reviews (except for mine :wink: ) are just dithyrambical !

Fri Nov 03, 2006 1:41 pm
Duc/Duchesse
Duc/Duchesse

Oh, melly, I am glad that I am not the only one! :) From the rave reviews on Amazon.com anyone would think this is the greatest book in the world! (I wrote a review of "Abundance" for Amazon but they would not post it, :lol:!! ) I guess the publishing houses (or somebody) decide which books people are going to read!!

Is your review among some of the thing you posted here, if not, I would love to read it?

Fri Nov 03, 2006 2:07 pm
Prince/Princesse
Prince/Princesse

Yes, my review that Amazon would not post is pretty much what is written here.

Fri Nov 03, 2006 2:10 pm
Royalty
Royalty

I've put Abundance aside so I can finish the memoirs because a few more pages in I still can't come to terms with the voice that Naslund seems determined to give young Marie Antoinette? I'm finding the language and the style of the book difficult in the sense that it doesn't seem in any way authentic and this failure to capture the characters through their words is this novels biggest failing as far as I'm concerned... I will finish it eventually though, hopefully before the end of the month.

Sat Nov 04, 2006 12:38 am
Profile ICQ YIM WWW
Prince/Princesse
Prince/Princesse

I totally agree, Adrienne. There is something too "American" about it.....

Sat Nov 04, 2006 12:57 am
I just placed an Interlibrary Loan request for Abundance so I may have it by next week. After reading through this thread, it looks like I'll be going into it with low expectations!

My interest in Marie Antoinette is new and my knowledge is not very deep so I wonder how this will affect my impressions of the book?

Angie

Fri Nov 10, 2006 10:01 pm
Prince/Princesse
Prince/Princesse

I think it might be a fairly enjoyable book for someone who has not read many other books about the queen.

Fri Nov 10, 2006 10:19 pm
Duc/Duchesse
Duc/Duchesse

Post review of book
Too clueless to say 'let them eat cake'

By Cheryl Truman
HERALD-LEADER BOOKS EDITOR

Marie Antoinette started out as what we today would call dumb as a stump.

In Abundance (William Morrow, $26.95), Louisville writer Sena Jeter Naslund's new historical novel about Marie Antoinette, she was an extra princess in an Austrian royal family where children were not so much treasured as whelped for political benefit. Marie Antoinette was never much of a reader, never caught on to the political desperation that ignited the French Revolution and persisted in stunts such as creating faux impoverished villages for her own playtime when France was stuffed with authentically impoverished villages filled with the starving...................................

click to continue reading -
http://www.kentucky.com/mld/kentucky/16064153.htm

Sat Nov 25, 2006 1:38 pm
Prince/Princesse
Prince/Princesse

Thanks for posting that review. What I hate most about Naslund's book is that she makes Antoinette SO insipid.

Sun Nov 26, 2006 11:13 pm
Royalty
Royalty

Well as the month draws to a close (I know there are still some days left!) I think I must concede that I won't finish Abundance before December. I just can't get into it at all, the writing is just dull and the characters poorly drawn. I've put it aside twice now in favour of something else. All that being said I will finish it - I pride myself on finishing almost every book I pick up - some just take longer and are more frustrating than others!

Sun Nov 26, 2006 11:15 pm
Profile ICQ YIM WWW
Marquis/Marquise
Marquis/Marquise

Marie Antoinette started out as what we today would call dumb as a stump.

In Abundance (William Morrow, $26.95), Louisville writer Sena Jeter Naslund's new historical novel about Marie Antoinette, she was an extra princess in an Austrian royal family where children were not so much treasured as whelped for political benefit. Marie Antoinette was never much of a reader, never caught on to the political desperation that ignited the French Revolution and persisted in stunts such as creating faux impoverished villages for her own playtime when France was stuffed with authentically impoverished villages filled with the starving...................................

This makes me rather want to vomit, I have to say, even though Abundance was an average book that floated from one cliche to the next, I think that this review is skewing even the wishy-washy image that Naslund presented of Marie. However, the book did receive many glowing reviews, probably written by people who haven't done much other reading on MA. I wonder if Ahab's Wife was a good representation of that character; if not, I fear we have yet another historical blunderer on the loose and at large :?

~*vive la reine*~

Thu Mar 15, 2007 3:20 am
Prince/Princesse
Prince/Princesse

I could NOT understand why it got so many glowing reviews. It was not that well-written, but trite and sugary.

Thu Mar 15, 2007 3:25 am
Reply to topic   [ 81 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next