Marie Antoinette Online
  • FORUM
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Mon Nov 20, 2017 6:09 am

Reply to topic  [ 22 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Marie Antoinette trailer on line!!! 
Comte/Comtesse
Comte/Comtesse

Post Marie Antoinette trailer on line!!!
http://movies.aol.com/movie/main.adp?mi ... b=trailers

Fri Dec 09, 2005 8:58 am
Prince/Princesse
Prince/Princesse

Thanks a lot, York74... I'm still afraid, aren't you?

Marie-Antoinette half nacked in a bed...?

Fri Dec 09, 2005 10:42 am
Comte/Comtesse
Comte/Comtesse

http://www.sonypictures.com/movies/marieantoinette

Mon Dec 19, 2005 7:34 am
Hi! I'm new! I don't like very much this new movie 'bout the beautiful queen... yeah, before to speak, it's better see it but..

Wed Jan 18, 2006 6:26 pm
Post M.A. film
Why do I have the feeling this is going to be another movie where the queen is shown as a frivoulous women not caring about nothing but herself? That trailer shows just a girl gambling, laughing, playing and interested in her own pleasure... Just hope I'm wrong.

Fri Feb 10, 2006 9:25 am
Duc/Duchesse
Duc/Duchesse

Yeah! I agree with you Toinette!! I think this movie doesn't represent the Queen as she was really!

Fri Feb 10, 2006 1:48 pm
I dub this, based on a viewing of the trailer, as a Marie-Antoinette for the MTV Generation. It's fun to be the Queen of France, isn't it?

Why doesn't anyone choreographing dances in films set in the 18th century take into account that the construction of women's dresses would have made it impossible for dancers to lift their arms over their heads without ripping the sleeves right out of their bodices? I guess it would kind of put a damper on the sterotypical "mincing minuet" that says "18th Century" to a contemporary audience.

I don't think we can expect anything but the usual clichés about the Queen's life from this film. Kind of disappointing, because I admire Sofia Coppola as a director and she had this incredible opportunity to film at Versailles.

That scene with a seductive Kirsten Dunst half-naked with the fan is a hoot, an R-rated, updated version of "L'Autrichienne en Gougettes." Marie-Antoinette, who Madame Campan characterized as something of a prude, would not approve, I don't think.

The Present always has an agenda when it comes to re-interpreting the Past. There seems to be a strong need in our time to project the idea of "frivolity" onto 18th century France, to conceive of it as nothing but a one-hundred year masked ball, a time in which nobody ever thought about anything more complicated than what they were going to wear. I think that the image of Marie-Antoinette as a coquette with no brains (and no heart) is necessary, somehow, for the modern psyche to be able to arrange itself comfortably, and this film, like most others before it, will do nothing to challenge that tendency.

Wed Mar 22, 2006 3:12 am
The fact that 18th century costume greatly restricted the natural ROM (Range of Motion) of the human body is critical to understanding (and reconstructing) how the people of that time moved. It is generally well known that corsets and stomachers made it impossible to flex the spine forward, but it is less well known that the angle at which the sleeves were sewn into the bodice of a gown restricted the ROM of full shoulder flexion (raising the arms overhead). With the extremely tight fit of the sleeve at the shoulder and the downward angle at which the sleeve was set into the bodice (which can easily be seen when you lay an 18th gown flat) the raising of the arm overhead would literally rip the underarm section of the sleeve away from the rest of the garment. Quel horreur!

Elegance was apparently far more important than comfort to these people, which I find fascinating. The clothing of the period sought to reinforce more narrowly-defined notions of what comprised "elegant" movement rather than to allow full ROM.

So much for those minuets.

Hope that explains it a little more. I'm so pleased that you found it of interest.

Thu Mar 23, 2006 2:34 am
Prince/Princesse
Prince/Princesse

Oh, Kilspi ! You don't know how much I find it interesting ! And your explanations really make me wonder... You're right, XVIIIth court has a totally different definition of elegance... and our today historical movies are far from it !

I have read that the "corps de baleines", which little dauphine Marie-Antoinette detested so much, was a true torture instrument, for it took the whole torso including shoulders.

Add to this these huge paniers, incredible trains, and you actually have a very different way to deal with movements !

You said these bodies made leaning forward impossible... So, does this mean we have to imagine Marie-Antoinette's so gracious reverences without this peculiar movement ? She made her reverences without leaning forward, her back straight, her head bend, no doubt... ?

I love these matters ! I could talk about it for ages ! Thank you so so much, dear Kilspi, for this fascinating information !

Amicalement,
Pimprenelle

Thu Mar 23, 2006 1:05 pm
Prince/Princesse
Prince/Princesse

Who is "Anne Victoire" mentioned in the cast of characters? Who is the Duchesse de Chartres? Do they mean Phillippe's wife? WHERE IS MADAME ADELAIDE?? Who is Dmitri??

Wed Mar 29, 2006 12:32 am
Prince/Princesse
Prince/Princesse

I guess Coppola Jr needed to put all her friends in the casting... :wink:

Wed Mar 29, 2006 6:02 am
Prince/Princesse
Prince/Princesse

The audio on my computer has finally been fixed and so I got to hear the sound that goes to the trailer of the new movie. I really do not care for it at all.

Mon Apr 03, 2006 1:07 am
Prince/Princesse
Prince/Princesse

I heard this movie will only be about Marie Antoinette's life up to her 5th year of marriage.

Mon Apr 03, 2006 2:31 am
Prince/Princesse
Prince/Princesse

Mon Apr 03, 2006 2:50 am
Prince/Princesse
Prince/Princesse

This music we hear on the trailer is by "New Order". I don't like it... It's too rock for me ! I hope Coppola will work with "Air", as she did for "Virgin Suicide". It's a French trip-hop group, very talented, in my opinion. And, as this movie seems to use people from all over the world...

By the way, do you know she wanted Alain Delon to play Louis XV ? Delon ? Le Bienaimé ? What a ridiculous idea ! :lol:

Mon Apr 03, 2006 6:53 am
Reply to topic   [ 22 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next