Marie Antoinette Online
  • FORUM
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Tue Nov 21, 2017 11:15 pm

Reply to topic  [ 188 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 9, 10, 11, 12, 13
 Coppola´s Marie-Antoinette 
Comte/Comtesse
Comte/Comtesse

Post Re: Coppola´s Marie-Antoinette
I see what you're saying. And the pace is rather slow, but I suppose I don't really mind it. I think "The Duchess" with Kiera Knightly can be described in the same way, and it's still one of my favorites (though it's just as inaccurate historically).

Tue Mar 27, 2012 1:55 am
Prince/Princesse
Prince/Princesse

The choice of actors was so poor.

There is no emotion....I feel the inpeptness of the director coming out in the actors. Some of it is pretty to watch, the costumes are beautiful, but she just shows a total lack of understanding of 18th court life at Versailles. It is a shallow film, like a candy, pretty and sweet. If she had wanted the do a kind of light-hearted spoof of Marie Antoinette, then she should have gone even further down that line and not flirted with serious themes at all.

Wed Mar 28, 2012 8:54 am
Comte/Comtesse
Comte/Comtesse

As much as I have grown to love the film, I still don't like Kirsten Dunst as Marie Antoinette and I don't think I ever will; that was pretty poor casting on her part. An unknown should have played Marie, in my personal opinion. But I think the worst casting of all was in Asia Argento as Madame du Barry. But perhaps it wasn't her fault as much as it was the screenplay's; their portrayal of du Barry was the most crooked in accuracy.

Sat Mar 31, 2012 11:49 pm
Prince/Princesse
Prince/Princesse

Indeed!

Madame du Barry was in fact very elegant in her way of carrying herself and in her conversation.

Mon Apr 02, 2012 3:12 pm
Noble
Noble

I completely agree Woodland Nymph and Baron. I think all viewers would have understood that Madame du Barry was the King's mistress without portraying her as if she were a common street walker. The vulgarity in the film du Barry's behaviour and appearance was completely unnecessary and why they changed her hair colour from blonde to raven is beyond me.

I can accept that movie makers take certain creative license with facts, but I don't understand why they do so when the changes add in no way to the drama.

On the whole I found this film worth watching for the gorgeous settings, nothing else.

Sun Jun 17, 2012 12:51 am
Prince/Princesse
Prince/Princesse

The more I read about the Du Barry the more I am inclined to think that there must have been something very vulgar about her, not in the primal way the film depicted indeed. But she nontheless was a "cocotte", which means a socialite and a prostitute. She indeed read and was endowed with a certain culture, but this culture seems to have been superifical. She notoriously had a lisp, she simpered and was fond of expensive jewlery and capricious to an unbelievable extent. Nothing close to any kind distinction whatsoever.

Mon Jun 18, 2012 2:17 am
Noble
Noble

Very well said Ludy. There is a huge difference between the vulgarity of a cocotte and the primal vulgarity of the gutter.

I suspect the portrayal of the Duchesse de Polignac in this film version was closer to the way du Barry may have behaved. Flirtatious, superficial, silly and at times, crude.

Mon Jun 18, 2012 5:56 pm
Peasant
Peasant

Now i have spent over an hour reading this thread and i have go to say that I find it entertaining when people say that "this is not the MA they KNOW". Excuse me?? KNOW??? You are reincarnated then??? You know for a FACT that she never drank, never had wild parties and never had a romance with count Ferson??? You were there? one of the mistresses of the house hold, part of her inner circle, a valet or one of the charges??? Forgive me, i mean i'm not saying that those thing did happen, but i can't say they didn't either. In fact with regards to Count Ferson, wasn't it said that his family member (niece, grand daughter sorry can't remember right now) removed certain pages from his personal diary before it was shown in public because of how fondly he spoke of his relationship with MA in it? The didn't want to incriminate anything so those pages were removed.....I have to go look for where i read that again so i can quote the source.

Sorry i like the movie, for many reasons, i see myself in the same light as MA in terms of being a foreigner marrying into a french family where the french don't abide well by foreigners, its light and fun, if i wanted something heavy and serious i would a documentary and i love the scenery, my ultimate goal is to go to france and i definitely have to visit Versailles.....its top of my list!

Its strange though, in all the inaccuracies mentioned, no one mentioned the fact that they were referred to as 'Your Majesty' while they were still Dauphin/Dauphine as we all know they should have been addressed ad 'Your Highness'. Also, they said they were requested at the delivery of Comtesse du Provence, where we all know it was Comtesse d'Artois who delivered the Duc d'Anguleme! ;)

Tue Sep 24, 2013 10:35 pm
Reply to topic   [ 188 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 9, 10, 11, 12, 13