Marie Antoinette Online
  • FORUM
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Fri Nov 17, 2017 7:25 pm

Reply to topic  [ 188 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11 ... 13  Next
 Coppola´s Marie-Antoinette 
Duc/Duchesse
Duc/Duchesse

Post Re: Coppola´s Marie-Antoinette
I thought that the movie was refreshing and splendid and considering the fact that Sofia Coppola both wrote and directed it herself, I think it is quite an achievement. I loved it because it was culturally accessible to modern culture with the music and all, which gave an insight into the feel of the times to which modern people could relate. I also think it portrayed the innocence of both Marie and Louis XVI very accurately. I found the film enchanting and inspiring. SO much has been already devoted to the political and slanderous side of the story and for this reason, I didn't even mind the omission of the 'Diamond necklace affair'. Ms. Coppola kept it clean and unequivocal. I also thought Kirsten Dunst was wonderful in her role. She is such a talented actress as anyone who has seen her child portrayal of "Claudia' in "Interview With the Vampire" can attest. I just loved the movie and I am sorry that others cannot appreciate it for what it was, a portrayal of Marie to and of which she herself probably would have related and approved. I thought it was great and I loved it that a female both directed and wrote it.

Sincerely,
Ray

"...little did I dream that I should have lived to see such disasters fallen upon her...I thought ten thousand swords must have leaped from their scabbards to avenge even a look that threatened her with insult."
Edmund Burke, (1790)

Mon Sep 01, 2008 5:37 am
Royalty
Royalty

Yes, chère Ray, after a few viewings I am coming around to this movie and starting to appreciate the movie for what it is - a fun, colourful, lighthearted tribute to the early life of Marie Antoinette. I do not think we can expect any more of it. The only quibbles I have with it is the Fersen affair and some basic factual errors that clearly should've been researched, I mean, Lady Antonia Fraser was a script adviser for goodness sake!

Mon Sep 01, 2008 5:43 am
Prince/Princesse
Prince/Princesse

I have to agree with Ray. I liked this movie and like it more every time I watch it. The only thing that really bothered me about it was, as Delicate Fleur said, the Fersen affair, and of course the costumes, particularly the hairstyles. They were so far off the mark! Otherwise, I found it delightful. I also thought the ending was very appropriate.

Mon Sep 01, 2008 6:29 am
Noble
Noble

As to the question of the American accents in this movie, I was appalled at Shirley Henderson's change in accent when she is unmistakeably English. I allow Rose Byrne credit as the Duchess; she has the most beautiful voice and I am glad she retained her accent for the movie. Du Barry would, I feel, have been more effective with an English accent.

Tue Sep 02, 2008 7:13 pm
Profile WWW
Prince/Princesse
Prince/Princesse

hmm....

Wed Sep 03, 2008 12:37 am
Royalty
Royalty

Why English? Perhaps a more loose, almost provincial tone to her voice would've suited. Caressing.

Wed Sep 03, 2008 1:48 am
Duc/Duchesse
Duc/Duchesse

Dear Delicate Fleur,

It is interesting that you should mention the Ferson thing because that is the only thing I found suspect about the movie, assuming as it did that they had an actual affair, thus portraying Marie as an adulteress. I thought that that was a bit much myself, being entirely uncorroborated as an absolute fact as far as I know. Otherwise, I thought the film was simply lovely... I am glad that you and Christophe like it, too! :)

Happily,
Ray

"...little did I dream that I should have lived to see such disasters fallen upon her...I thought ten thousand swords must have leaped from their scabbards to avenge even a look that threatened her with insult."
Edmund Burke, (1790)

Wed Sep 03, 2008 3:14 am
Prince/Princesse
Prince/Princesse

I dislike the movie, to put it quite honestly. There was a certain lack of rythm, added to the absence of an actual plot which made it tedious. I wouldn't have picked Kristen Dunst : she lacked charism and elegance. The pretention to show MA as a nowaday's teeneager does not suit either with the mentality a princess of the XVIII century might have had. It was more a portrait of Coppola's life than MA's.

Thu Sep 18, 2008 6:20 pm
Prince/Princesse
Prince/Princesse

Ludy wrote:
I dislike the movie, to put it quite honestly. There was a certain lack of rythm, added to the absence of an actual plot which made it tedious. I wouldn't have picked Kristen Dunst : she lacked charism and elegance. The pretention to show MA as a nowaday's teeneager does not suit either with the mentality a princess of the XVIII century might have had. It was more a portrait of Coppola's life than MA's.

It looked like a limited too boutique threw up all over it.

Sun Sep 21, 2008 6:07 am
Profile WWW
Duc/Duchesse
Duc/Duchesse

I do like the film now. When I first saw it, I didn't because it wasn't what I had been expecting, and I hated the part with Axel Fersen. Now that I have rewatched it, I am able to over look the parts that bugged me, except the Fersen part that I still don't like. I do enjoy the film. Love the costumes and the setting, how can you not like versailles. I get what Coppula was trying to do with this version, I may not completely agree with her take on Marie-Antoinette but I enjoy it now...not sure if any of this makes sense, but I don't think it is a terrible film anymore. I gave it a friend of mine to watch and told her that it's a good film just don't take it as fact about Marie-Antoinette.

Mon Oct 06, 2008 3:37 pm
Prince/Princesse
Prince/Princesse

The movie had a plot. It told a story. What it did not do, is follow the usual cinematic formula of leading the viewer from one high dramatic point to the next. Coppola shunned high drama (as much as she could) in favor of giving us an impression of day-to-day life at Versailles.

Tue Oct 07, 2008 12:50 am
Prince/Princesse
Prince/Princesse

Ludy wrote:

I agree, totally.

Tue Oct 07, 2008 9:20 pm
Prince/Princesse
Prince/Princesse

Christophe wrote:
The movie had a plot. It told a story. What it did not do, is follow the usual cinematic formula of leading the viewer from one high dramatic point to the next. Coppola shunned high drama (as much as she could) in favor of giving us an impression of day-to-day life at Versailles.

Please, what is this plot ? This movie is but pictures, some of them being quite beautiful. It does not tell a strory, it does not rely on any script.

Fri Oct 10, 2008 4:45 am
Prince/Princesse
Prince/Princesse

The story is of Antoinette's life at Versailles, from the time she arrived until the time she departed:
Point A) she arrives a shy but courageous girl. B) She cautiously feels her way around the court and her new family. C) She takes on du Barry. D) She struggles to win her husband's affections. E) She suffers and yearns for motherhood. F) She rejects the expectations of others and carves out her own role at Versailles. G) She becomes Queen. H) She meets Fersen and experiences romance for the first time. I) The public's ill-feelings begin to creep into her personal life. J) She devotes herself to her children. K) She and Louis endure the tragedy of losing a child. L) The Revolution suddenly, unexpectedly comes crashing in on their lovely world...
Coppola leaves out some of the more dramatic---and tragic---points in the Queen's life, such as the Necklace Affair, in favor of ordinary, daily activities. The movie does not have a great deal of meaningful dialouge, merely snippets of idle conversation; this is a clever cinematic device, giving the viewer an impression of watching Antoinette's life slowly unfold, as if in real time, as if we are there with Antoinette---instead of having us simply watch a play acted out on a stage. It is a different format for a feature film, but the story is there.
It requires close attention and thought to pick up on all the subtle nuances woven throughout. Did you notice how Antoinette and Louis' relationship grows closer as time passes? It is never deliberately pointed out in the movie, it just slowly creeps in, just the way it happens in real life. I think that is why so many people did not like this film; we are used to movies giving us all our cues and telling us what to think and how to feel. This movie doesn't do that. It invites us to experience Antoinette's life, not just watch it.

Fri Oct 10, 2008 6:46 am
Comte/Comtesse
Comte/Comtesse

I just came upon this thread and have spent the better part of an hour reading what everyone has written. Wow, you all have some deep thoughts on this movie! I am happy that she made this movie for 2 reasons. 1. Because Kirsten Dunst plays MA, teenagers will watch it and this will help with the undoing of that old lie "let them eat cake" told to so many generations. 2. People that didn't know about MA before will maybe be inspired to go on their own journey with her.

What I thought was wrong...well
1. If I hadn't known about MA before seeing the movie, I wouldn't have had a clue what was going on and gotten bored.
2. It kinda erked me when MA said "I am saying goodbye" in the end. Elizabeth said that right? But that's just a personal peeve, nothing major.

On a personal note: My family owns a nursing home and we have a resident James Daugherty that was a stand in for Tyrone Power (back in the day!hey) who played Axel (man of my dreams) in the 1938 version, so the residents have watched that movie frequently and it's so cute to see them get mad and riled up!

Just my own taste but I do not like the 1938 version. It was really cheesy and Axel calls MA "Marie". BUT both Axel's from both movies were really sexy :) And that is WHY the legend will remain for even more movies to come. Built guys with pony tails and hot pants go over in every generation.

Tue Oct 21, 2008 3:33 am
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 188 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11 ... 13  Next