Marie Antoinette Online
  • FORUM
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Tue Nov 21, 2017 8:15 am

Reply to topic  [ 188 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13  Next
 Coppola´s Marie-Antoinette 
Duc/Duchesse
Duc/Duchesse

Post Re: Coppola´s Marie-Antoinette
Quote:
Built guys with pony tails and hot pants go over in every generation.

Amen. :wink:

Tue Oct 21, 2008 6:36 am
Royalty
Royalty

Thorleif Nilsson wrote:
What made me disappointed about the movie was that the clothes were not historically correct. Was it really that hard to make them correct? I can´t withheld you members the picture below from Durán Textiles AB of the Swedish Royal family in 18th century clothes which are historically correct!!
Attachment:
q5.jpg

/Thorleif Nilsson
PS. I have no association what so ever to this company! Due to copyrights I had to mentioned the name of the company. Sorry.

I'm embarassed to say this but I think Prince Carl Philip is very handsome. I read up on him a little bit and seems to nice and adorable. He designed a cover of a cd for his grandmother. And he has been dating his girlfriend for about 10 years. I'm sorry but that doesn't get any more adorable than that! I want to hug him!

Sat Oct 25, 2008 2:51 pm
Prince/Princesse
Prince/Princesse

Pimprenelle wrote:
Christophe wrote:
The movie had a plot. It told a story. What it did not do, is follow the usual cinematic formula of leading the viewer from one high dramatic point to the next. Coppola shunned high drama (as much as she could) in favor of giving us an impression of day-to-day life at Versailles.

Please, what is this plot ? This movie is but pictures, some of them being quite beautiful. It does not tell a strory, it does not rely on any script.

I feel the movie indeed had a story, but it did not have a plot though. By plot I mean the classical unfolding of a novel or a movie. I utterly understand that it precisely was what Coppola aimed at, and there are lots of movies that do not include a classical plot that are nevertheless masterpieces (just see the Nouvelle Vague). In this case, precisely, I think that it was not a success, because MA's story did not really enable it. She's too famous, as a historical character, to present her like a modern teenager in a movie almost devoid of historical context. In short, I see the director's purpose, but I think that choosing MA to carry it out was not very wise.

Wed Nov 12, 2008 10:22 am
you all seem to be so negative!

the film was refreshing and introduced such a great contrast of modern and historic elements,
the music worked perfect, and gave court life such a twist

costume was beautiful and such a wonderful thing to view, even though it was somewhat incorrect

this film inspired me in a way as no other has ever done.

only problem i had with the film was the introduction of converse!
such a risk

x

Sun Dec 07, 2008 8:03 pm
Royalty
Royalty

I'm glad that you had a positive experience to "Marie Antoinette" and it inspired you to discover more. Unfortunately, this film helps to reinforce the outdated views of Marie Antoinette being a champagne swilling, pastry gorging air head who loved partying and sleeping with Swedish soldiers! This is simply not true! I think this is the biggest reason why most of us here take such a dim view of this film. I did enjoy its creativity and refreshing take on a historical biopic but unfortunately it did not do much to rehabilitate the image of Marie Antoinette, especially in France.

Sun Dec 07, 2008 11:47 pm
Royalty
Royalty

:lol: yes-yes! There's almost nothing common with history in this film:roll:

Mon Dec 08, 2008 8:04 am
i cannot agree any strongly, before this film, i knew nothing about marie antoinette. but after finding out more about her life, the film is just glitzed up as most films tend to do and completely inaccurate.

however it is still a beautiful film

Mon Dec 08, 2008 8:29 am
Royalty
Royalty

I agree this is a beautiful film because of its wiews (there're some pretty good pictures in it) but the story is not my fav. I must admit that I do prefer 1938 MA rather than 2006 by Coppola. However, it is not The movie for me...

Tue Dec 09, 2008 3:00 pm
Prince/Princesse
Prince/Princesse

Well I liked it. I thought it showed how MA was really very kind and the Court was very unjust to her. I also feel it showed what most 18-year-old Queens would probably do and how it's not really her fault.

And remember this film was made for entertainment not accuracy.

Wed Feb 18, 2009 1:24 am
Royalty
Royalty

That is true. Sophia Coppola explicitly stated that it was made for entertainment not a historical drama.

Wed Feb 18, 2009 3:19 am
Prince/Princesse
Prince/Princesse

Yeah

Wed Feb 18, 2009 10:43 pm
Royalty
Royalty

An interesting note regarding the last scene in the film................. The royal family is departing Versailles for the last time and Louis XVI says to Marie Antoinette "Are you admiring your lime avenue? and she responds "I'm saying goodbye" - - Apparently this actually occured between the King and his sister Madame Elizabeth according to the book "The Ruin of a Princess" {as told by The Duchesse d'Angouleme, Madame Elizabeth, Sister of King Louis XVI, and Clery, the King's Valet de Chambre, and translated by Katherine Wormley (1912)} pages 24-25 - (this book can be found/read online)

"...........the king, without initiative, without will, deferred to the clamour of the multitude and gave his promise to depart. As the miserable procession passed Montreuil, Madame Elizabeth bent forward in the carriage to look at the trees of her dear domain. "Are you bowing to Montreuil, sister?" asked the King. "Sire, I am bidding it farewell," she answered gently."

Wed Feb 18, 2009 11:06 pm
Prince/Princesse
Prince/Princesse

Aw. Is it a good book? I've never heard of it.

Thu Feb 19, 2009 12:11 am
Prince/Princesse
Prince/Princesse

Yes, it is a very good book, one of the basic resources concerning Madame Elisabeth de France.

Thu Feb 19, 2009 12:14 am
Prince/Princesse
Prince/Princesse

Hm I'll have to check it outt...

Thu Feb 19, 2009 12:17 am
Reply to topic   [ 188 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13  Next